FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Had panic disorder for 15 years

Lex
Community Member
I am new to this online forum,  I have had Panic Disorder for over 15 years so I thought I could help some other people out who are just going through similar things.
4 Replies 4

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Lex, 15 years is a long time and I'm sure that your help would be much appreciated.

Would you like to tell us a bit about how these panic attacks started for you. Geoff.

Lex
Community Member
Hello Geoff,  It is a long time and sometimes it has been hard on me and my husband.  The Panic attacks came on very sudden one day when I was travelling on public transport to meet some old work mates for lunch and it just came over that fast.   I tried to get back on the train but I couldn't,  so my husband had to come and pick me up from South Yarra station and take me home,  after we got home he rang my doctor and did a home visit,  after a couple of hours he diagnosed panic disorder and then the journey began.   At the moment I can touch wood and say I haven't had a full panic attack for a few years but if am stressed or pushed in a certain way,  I can feel my anxiety flaring up.  Lex.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Lex, this is a scary beginning that may increase over time, I hope not, but it appears as though you maybe suffering from social-anxiety.

To have a doctor do home visits well that's been a long time as I remember Dad doing these years ago, as well as birth deliveries during the middle of the night.

What you need to do now is to see your doctor again and ask him/her what medication you can take to relieve these attacks.

It seems as though you were feeling anxious abut meeting your old mates, but this happens with social anxiety.

I understand that you have not had a full panic attack for awhile, but now that they are beginning in maybe a small form, then the chances are of them increasing.

Please let us know how you get on. L Geoff. x

Lex
Community Member

Hi Jeff,  I probably was suffering from social-anxiety at the very beginning,  but I think I have that sorted out now.

I see my GP on a regular basis for my medication and she seems to be quite happy with my progress and I feel pretty good within myself at this stage.

Lex.