FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Flights & Anxiety

dodge_phoenix
Community Member

I am having problems with my Anxiety again. I had it under control there for some time & now that I'm traveling over to the usa my anxiety is back &I'm finding it hard to control. Also I have recently changed jobs & again my anxiety is playing up. I have never left Australian shores & I have never been on a aeroplane. Is there something I can take in the lead up to going over to calm me down or do have have to ride this one out. I am scared & getting more scared whenever my wife, kids or mother inlaw talk about the trip, getting stuff down before we go & most of all the long flight over. I was once on medication & had zero anxiety but had anger issues. It took 7 months or so once I finally got off the tablets from the lowest dosage to get over the brain zaps, dizzy spells, nausea & mood swings. But almost 2yrs on from finally being off those tablets, I'm getting anxiety at the fear of death, flying, well being of my family, when I'm sick (it gets worse again for fear of not getting better) enclosed spaces. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. 

Kind Regards 

Dodge Phoenix. 

2 Replies 2

joeljoel
Community Member

Hi Dodge Phoenix, 

I have had anxiety about travelling particularly flying in the past. It can be incredibly horrible to feel such a sense of panic surrounding something as exciting as going overseas. I don't feel as though I can recommend what you should do in terms of medication or which medication is right for you but I can recommend the use of calmatives or relaxants during the flight itself. They can be effective in easing your stress and feelings of dread and fear and making your flight experience more comfortable. 

Hopefully someone here can shed more light for you. Best of luck. 

Joel. 

BKYTH
Community Member
Perhaps you should talk to your GP about prescription anti anxiety medication for the flight over and back ( assuming this is not the medication you were referring too that you had problems getting off).                                      Perhaps you could mention to the staff on the aircraft that you are feeling anxious about the flight as I feel sure that they would be trained to assist people who experience anxiety in this kind of situation. Many people do as I do myself.                                                                                                                                                                                              Joels advice is worth considering but if your anxiety gets more than you are able to deal with backup medication may be handy to have. I hope you have a relaxed trip. Philip.