FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

first timer- any helpful suggestions or encouragement?

StephJade
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

hey guys,

I'm a little nervous writing on here because I don't usually get involved with things like this but reading the stories and responses from people I feel like it is a safe place. It really does touch me and brought a tear to my eye how people are so willing to help one another with their common struggles.

I have always had an anxious personality but was officially diagnosed during my hsc. Nobody that I'm close with understands what its live with anxiety. The constant worrying, the shame that you feel like you can't do what other people can, the poor self esteem and all of the rest of it. My worst coping mechanism is vomiting, I don't know why it started or why I do it but I will go and eat a whole lot of food when i's really nervous and anxious and go and vomit it up. My psychologist why I just started to see said that its a form of self harm and that im punishing myself.

Please help me, I so much want to use my anxious personality in a positive way so it keeps me on top of everything and organized not take my livelihood away from me.

how do you guys improve your confidence and overcome your personal struggles?!

thankyou for your help, StephJade

8 Replies 8

Jacko777
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi StephJade,

I am glad you posted, you will find people here that understand what you are going through and will have advice and support.

Have you tried meditation? It has helped me a lot with my confidence and daily personal struggles. Meditation helps to train the mind to focus, on the things you do want rather than the things you don't. With improved focus you can forge new pathways of happiness and calmness in your mind and leave the negative pathways behind. It is simple, not easy, it takes practice. We can talk more about this if you are interested.

Brings a tear to my eye too, to see people sharing their experiences on this site to help each other find solutions, you are a part of that now with your thread.

Stay on your path of improvement, take daily satisfaction from knowing that you are moving forward with this, you are seeing a Doc, you are seeking advice and commit to trying different tools until you find things that work for you.

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi StephJade

How do we cope and go on with our daily life?  It is an excellent question - but I have no hard and fast advice unfortunately. In my opinion it depends on individual circumstances.  

I have suffered from anxiety for as long as I can remember (particularly social anxiety).  My coping mechanism, which is not recommended, was to withdraw and avoid situation I knew I would not feel comfortable in.  In my professional career, I carried a mask - pretended to be someone I actually was not.  

I coped with that  lie by turning to alcohol to put me to sleep.  Again bad choice.  In other words, I chose all the wrong coping mechanisms - until I had a massive meltdown.  I then decided I would not work again, thus allowing me to work on my illness full-time without having to put all the normal pressures on myself that were associated with a working life.  I am far from well at the moment but, the decisions I made after the meltdown were the best I have ever made.  In brief, these involved changing my lifestyle, giving away alcohol, getting fit and trying to live a health life (ok, so I still smoke). My next step is to change my environment - get away from the big smoke and find a more peaceful and relaxing lifestyle - somewhere.  I continue to trust that I will get better, or to better learn how to manage my illnesses.

You too will take your own path of coping mechanisms.  But, the only thing I would say is be true to yourself, don't force yourself to cope with situations that you cannot do so comfortably.  

This forum is indeed a safe place for you to communicate your feelings and thoughts.  A place to swap ideas for healing and coping with everyday life.  So while I have not (yet!) given you any specific ideas, I am sure that they will come as we learn a little bit more about StephJade. Welcome aboard!

K

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear StephJade, it's great to have you join us on a very personal manner.

You are brave to disclose what has happened with yourself, but it means that you must trust all of us and feel comfortable in doing so, so that's a great start.

What your psychologist has said I believe is so true, mind you I am no professional at all, but just like most of us have been through the wringers, down to hell and back several times, with so many terrible experiences along the way.

I can well and truly understand why it all started when you were in HSC, because the pressure is extraordinary too much, and always has been.

Because we always tend to believe in comparing what we have done to what our friends have done, and think that they are so much better, then this obviously pushes us into being anxious upset or even depressed, then this the beginning of trouble, so basically another outcome is that our self esteem hits a wall, which can lead to self medicating or punishing ourselves, which is what unfortunately has happened for you.

It only stands to reason why we do it, it seems to just occur naturally or more so fall into it.

So at the moment you have no self esteem, so you have to try and build it up again, but there's a problem here, because how we do it is to keep comparing how we do it as against to how our friends would do it or what they have achieved, so this is where you have to forget about all of this, because somebody's self-esteem can never be put on a par with yours, so they are different, and just because they boost about it, is just the same as they may have a porsche and you have a falcon,so what, their insurance premium is higher, their service to the car is also higher, so you know what I am getting at.

I must say that Jacko and Hideaway have added to this and said some good points, and there is more we can discuss.

Hope that you can reply back to us. Geoff.

StephJade
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

hi Jacko777

that's a wonderful suggestion, I used to meditate a lot which helped but I noticed myself procrastinating and using meditation as my excuse from doing what I have to. but I guess that's where you need to learn self control and use it when its necessary

thank you so much for the wonderful suggestion and I hope all is going well for you. It is really powerful to have the ability to help somebody else and you have just done that for me.

StephJade

StephJade
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello K,

This is such a fantastic response and thank you so much for sharing your personal experiences. I definitely agree that when you are healthy and fit you feel like you have more control. I am not in a stressful workplace like yourself but I am studying which im finding so difficult because I also suffer from social anxiety so I try never want to go to university or anywhere social that I am out of my comfort zone.

Hearing these responses and being able to relate to other people is already proving so helpful to me. Thankyou for taking the time to respond I so much appreciate it

StephJade

StephJade
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Geoff,

Thankyou so much for your response, it is very touching to have welcoming people such as yourself taking the time to help out a complete stranger.

You have definitely described exactly the way that I am, I am always feeling inferior to friends, family and even strangers. I think a big part of that would be because of social media. Then I remember that from the outside my life would look perfect yet I struggle everyday to do things others find so normal, everyone is on their own journey so I cant judge what I don't know about people.

Thankyou for your kind words

StephJade

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi StephJade - I am so glad if my response was able to help even a little.  That is what this forum is all about.

I am now retired so I have no pressures and all the time in the world to do very little. I smiled (sorry) when you mentioned about social anxiety at uni.  I went through 4 years at Uni without meeting or talking to hardly anyone.  But the one I did talk to ended up being my partner 🙂  Despite this, I did ok at Uni, but did not gain any distinctions for class participation (especially at tutorials).  Haha - in those days we had a number of oral examinations; so you can imagine this shy, introverted person with social anxiety getting up for those exams 🙂  How I managed to get through is still a mystery.

Sorry, I'm rambling now.

Really good to have you here - you have a very positive spirit I can sense, so you will be OK.

Take care

K

Jacko777
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi SJ,

Thanks and how loving of you to make these replies.

Well I hope you can revisit your meditation practice, you have a strong awareness of your self and you will benefit greatly from your journey to discover more. I think you are right, we have to exercise our self control to firstly set the time aside for meditation and then to get through it! I heard once that the best time for meditation is from 4AM to 6AM. HA!! However I do get the point, if I get up just 15 minutes earlier I could meditate for 10 minutes and/or before bed. 

Keep us posted and all the best.