FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

First time being pulled over

Willy943
Community Member
This week has been pretty terrible for me, I've struggled with depressive thoughts and anxiety for a few years now and I thought I was finally starting to feel better these past few weeks up untill the start of this week. It's been pretty terrible for me but it's all kind of come to a head today while I was at school and I had a bit of a breakdown, I was able to calm my self down before work but it didn't last long because I was pulled over during my shift for the first time since getting my licence.

Ive been feeling like I don't really have a lot going for me at the moment including family and especially social and academic life. I also kind of feel like I don't really have anything to be proud of except my car and being able to drive whenever I want. It's honestly been one of the only positive aspects of my life in a really long time and it's one of the things keeping me going. Also I had just bought a very cheap second car just for delivering so I could save on fuel.

For context, I'm a delivery driver for a pizza restaurant. Today when I was taking a delivery I was pulled over for the first time into a booze bus and was breathalysed, I was really nervous because I've never done anything like this before and it was nearly done until one of the officers pointed out I had Google maps open on my phone. I never touch my phone whilst I'm driving and I only ever set the address before taking the car out of park and it pretty much stays in the phone holder all night. He said I was fined $550 and had 4 demerit points taken.

Ive just spent the last of my savings buying this second car and I won't be able to afford the fine unless I sell it. But if I do that I'll lose my job. I can't use my personal car for deliveries since it's a bit abnoxious and not really a great image for the restaurant since it's a big 4wd. If I sell the second car to pay for the fine I'll be left with no money and no job I also won't be able to work on the only good thing in my life because I'm getting it ready to put onto club plates so I need a few things for it and I can't afford the parts.

I'm really scared because I love the people I work with and if I lose my licence I won't even be able to drive it either I also might have to end up selling it because I won't be able to cover the cost of rego and insurance. I'm worried I'm going to lose the only good thing I have.

It all kind of feels like the icing on the cake of a really really really shitty week and I haven't stopped crying.

4 Replies 4

Forrest
Community Member

Hi Willy943!

I'm so sorry your week has been so awful, it sounds like there's a lot on your shoulders emotionally at the moment, there's so much going on for you and this last bit of icing on the cake as you call it would be very understandably distressing.

I'm no expert of the law but I feel fairly certain that it is not illegal to have google maps open on your phone while driving, as long as it is set before you leave, as you say. It's only illegal to touch and hold your phone while driving. My own anxiety makes me a bit of an all-talk person unfortunately, because I get really overwhelmed trying to look into information, but I wonder if someone else here can point you to something you can do to challenge the fine.

For now just know that you're heard and thought of. Thankyou for sharing your story. You matter and I really hope things can turn around. From what I "know" (of which I don't have the greatest confidence but is still my advice) it's important not to just pay a fine that you don't agree with, because if I am correct it's seen as an admission of guilt. I don't know for sure but I feel a bit like you might have been bullied.

I'm glad that you typed out your story here, it's important not to let emotional weight of this magnitude sit on your shoulders when you're feeling alone.

Willy943
Community Member

Thank you Forest, that last part made me tear up a bit I feel a little better.

I wanted to mention I'm on my red P's but I ran out of characters. I think it might be illegal to have your phone even in the car after today. I thought having the gps up would've been ok because I remember someone mention I can still use GPS to me awhile ago but I may have misremembered. I think it's still a little excessive especially since I rely on it for work. It's not only just for maps but also for the drivers app that shows us details about the orders when I'm stopped so I can't leave it behind.

I think I just wanted to talk about it and let it let out. Because it kind of makes me feel better by just putting it out there, not only just about the fine but the other stuff too.

Sorry about my Grammer and not really making sense, I'm still kind of shaken up and feeling pretty upset

Thank you!!

Forrest
Community Member

Don't worry about grammar it's overrated.

I wasn't aware of this special law for P platers. Gees though you're right it is excessive imo. Are you required to use the app by your place of work? Because that feels like some sort of grounds to do some kind of protesting, surely. Either your work is accountable for requiring you to do something illegal, or the fine is invalid and should be challenged. I wish I new what to tell you to do, and maybe it's a bit late at night for anyone to see this yet, but maybe tomorrow someone will have some suggestions.

I'm glad you feel a bit better. Post anytime about anything that helps it feel like it's off your chest.

Worst case scenario, you've been fined, and then it's a money issue. But those have ways to be tackled as well. Maybe someone can lend you the money rather than you having to pull your life apart. But I would start with a thorough investigation of whether the fine is even valid first.

Clearly this is on your mind in place of sleep (maybe?) as you're up late posting... now that it's been put out there and vented a bit, do you have something pleasant you can use to transition your headspace into winding down? A tv show you like or a video game you can play, or even a household chore you can do... put the dishes away and make your bed? Something that you can use to tell yourself, I'm all right now, and I'm home, and there's nothing else to do for tonight but wind down and sleep...

Forrest
Community Member

Hi again Willy943.

A friend of mine was looking up the law about mobile phones, (because we felt after hearing this that we needed to know it for our own safety) and from what my friend read they agree you would/might have grounds to protest your fine, but it depends what Australian state / terrotory you're in. Also just wanted to say I'm thinking of you, in general. How are you doing with everything? Also I thought by posting again (and bringing this thread back to the top of the list) it might help get some attention if other people have any helpful information or suggestions, since my knowledge is so limited and there have not been any other responses yet.