FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Fear of death

Brooklyn01
Community Member

hello,

About 5 months ago I had a panic attack at work and ended up in emergency,

nothing was physically wrong with me but the shock of not realizing what had happened to me scared me so bad that I couldn't leave the house for 2 weeks. I wasn't told I had anxiety so I was thinking the worst. I started self diagnosing and realized I suffer from anxiety send started meditation. After meditating everyday for weeks I could leave the house again but the thought of working and feeling like im going to feel faint freaked me out.

My gp prescribed me some medication, the thought of knowing I have medication in my bag has kept my mind at ease, I've only had to use them several times.

I have good days I have bad days. I have just started to see a phsycologist recently so hopefully that will help me more.

I think a lot about the day I die. I'm petrified! ever since having a panic attack

Im scared of dying. the thought of death is enough to give me a anxiety attack and very depressed. I was usually a very happy person but now I worry my anxiety has given me depression. To make matters worse I'm at a point now we're I' m even scared of taking medication incase I die. Highly unlikely but still plays on my mind. what a mess!!!!!

I wish I was my carefree self again.

eI
6 Replies 6

CrashCoyote
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Brooklyn01,

Thank you for posting. Do you know what brought on the panic attack? Am I right to assume that you realise death is inevitable and your fear stems from the thought of premature death?

You have done the right thing by getting treatment from a psychologist.

I am happy to respond to your posts but would not presume to advise you on this.

Kind regards, John.

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi there Brooklyn

Thank you for coming to Beyond Blue and for providing your post.

I can understand your anxiety and thoughts about death, but on this, I believe that you are doing some really positive and beneficial things in order to help yourself through this and hopefully beyond.

Seeking different methods of help and support has been a great thing that you’ve done – through meditation, going to your GP and seeking out professional assistance, medication and now seeing a psychologist.

I’m really pleased to read all that – and may I ask, of late, do you feel that you’ve made any improvements??  Even just slight ones are positive signs that should not be ignored.  This is where we need to set ourselves little and realistic goals – goal setting and to make them achievable so it helps and rewards us.

I do hope you’re still around so that you’re able to read this and I hope that you are able to post back as I’d really like to know how you’re going of late?

Kind regards

Neil

hi niel

I think that I have made a major improvement. my anxiety was so debilitating about 5 months ago I couldn't even walk meters out of my house without feeling like I'm dying. 

Im doing ok it comes in waves, I'm fine for days then suddenly my mind flips out.

I had a funeral on Friday the next day I felt so depressed and confused I had to cancel work. my mind takes over and makes my body do weird things. I get light headed and weird stomach contractions my only option is to go to bed and cry and hope it all goes away. 

the next day I'm fine 😕

I haven't had a drink in a while, I'm thinking I'll start exercising maybe.

I think in time I will be better and my mind will be stronger. I'm very surprised at how powerful the human mind is.

On a better note I'm off to India 🙂 in 3 weeks. I'm excited but very nervous about being sick while over there. I booked the holiday when I was feeling great now I'm so so lately. I'm also very nervous about the flight :0

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi there Brooklyn

Awesome to hear back from you.  You are so spot on, the mind is so terribly powerful and for us who suffer it’s a power that tortures us.  And not just when we’re awake, but so often during sleep the mind will take you to places and keep you active mentally.  So when we wake, we wake feeling like we’ve had bugga all sleep;  not a good formula to help try and get through the next day.

I’m also hearing you loud and clear with the feelings of light-headedness and those weird feelings in the stomach.

How do you feel you’re going with your meds??   Do you feel that they are giving you some assistance?  I hope so, but if not, there’s always the option to go back to your GP and perhaps have a bit of a review of them.  But if you feel that they’re doing something for you, then that’s very good. 

Don’t forget to arrange through your GP, both (a) a letter to just have with you for when you leave the country for the meds that you’re taking with you; and (b) arrange with your GP the exact number that you’ll need while you’re away.  I went overseas in June/July and so had to get a fair number of my meds made up for me prior to leaving.  The letter is just for the ‘off-chance’ that you may be asked – but I’ve travelled 3 times over recent years and have never had to produce the letter once.

Also with regard to the travel – I’m assuming that you’re travelling with at least one other person – I hope that they are aware of how you’re travelling of late and that there may be some anxiousness for you with regard to the flight, etc.  I hope that they’ll be able to provide you suitable support for you.  You can also let your steward(ess) know while the plane is loading passengers – because they can be very helpful during a flight as well.

Kind regards

Neil

Hi Brooklyn01,

I just came back from travelling, including to India. Do you know you must have your visa before you leave Australia? It is a complex process and costs a hundred or so bucks but without it you will be stuck at your port of arrival. No visa's on the ground there.

Two tips, don't eat anywhere except your hotel. Hep A is a real risk. Don't buy bottled water from street kids. They are known to scavenge empty drink bottles and fill them with local water and sell them. There are street vendors that are set up and reputable, no problem there. I have lots of others but these are the most important.

Bon voyage. John.

P.S. Carry a fair bit of small notes. Everyone expects a tip. Ten Aussie dollars are about 530 rupees so carry lots of 100 rupee ($2) notes. Ignore beggars and peddlers, even children. If you engage them they will not let up. Even when you ignore them they are pretty persistent. Once you give one money, the rest swarm. Sounds cruel, but you are on holidays, not a relief mission.

thanks guys,

Im going to go back to my doctor and see what other options I have for medication. the medication I have now takes 45 minutes to work and I'm only to have it when I feel a panic attack coming on. I wonder if something daily would be better.

I prefer not to take medication but it's nice to know it's there if you need it .

I'm all ready for my holiday visas and needles done . I'm travelling with my boyfriend of ten years, we get along great and his really helpful. I'm feeling well today very clear 🙂 today might be a good day.

I hope for everyday to be this clear.