FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Fear and Anxiety caused by loss of mother

Lin01
Community Member

Dear Beyond Blue community

My name is Lin and about 2 months ago, my mother passed away suddenly due to a heart attack. She was 70 years old and I am 37 years old. 

I have always had a very close relationship with my mother. We lived together, went everywhere and did everything together. I am not married, and do not have many close family or friends. My mother's recent death has left me feeling very scared, anxious and sometimes lonely. 

I am now faced with situations where I am not quite sure what to do without my mother beside me. For example, household matters, taking the car for servicing and travelling. In particular, regarding travelling overseas alone, what should I do if my wallet, Passport, cash, keys or mobile phone gets stolen during overseas or even when going through airport security checks. I would not have anyone to support me or lend assistance. 

I would like to get some advice from others in this forum regarding tackling these situations alone?

Thanks very much in advance!

2 Replies 2

indigo22
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Lin,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for reaching out to us.

I'm so sorry for your loss, losing a parent is different to losing anyone else. The bonds are so strong that it can be difficult to see your life without them.

It is still very early in the grieving process so there are a lot of thoughts circling, which is quite normal.

Have you looked into grief counselling? Sometimes being with a group of people who have similar experience can help with the initial stages of grief, hearing how others may be coping with similar issues may help to calm your anxiety.

I would also suggest you make use of the helplines, talking through your feelings in real time can be quite helpful in these early stages.

You talked about travel, are you planning a trip overseas at the moment?

Your fears should subside with time, in the meantime we will be here to support you. You may not believe this now, but time does make a difference and things will get better.

Be gentle with yourself and gather whatever support you can from friends and family.

indigo

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Lin,

my heartfelt condolences for the loss of your mother. Indigo (the member that posted on Tuesday) was spot on when they mentioned your mothers' passing is only recent....2 months is like 5 minutes ago Lin.

I really hope you can take the time to grieve for your mother. Your mother was young at 70 and being such a short period of time since her passing ,you will answer your own questions with greater clarity once you have grieved Lin.

The Beyond Blue forums also have a 'Grief and Loss' section if you wish to post about the loss of your wonderful mother. You are always welcome if you wish to pay tribute to your mother in this way

any questions are always welcome Lin and thankyou for having the courage to post with us too!

my kindest always

Paul