FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Failed uni due to panic attacks

BobbyOz
Community Member

I was doing really well in all my uni courses but since I couldn't do the exams due to anxiety I got no marks and I've failed and am now in massive debt and have to do it all again. What should I do? 

7 Replies 7

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi BobbyOz,

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

Anxiety can be hard to deal with and also panic attacks.

Have you seen a health professional in regards to your anxiety?

A health professional can give you many strategies to help you to manage your anxiety.

You really can learn to manage your anxiety.

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

BobbyOz,

Thank you so much for sharing with us, and I'm so sorry to hear that. That sounds incredibly stressful. 

As Petal22 has suggested, it may be helpful to see either a psychologist, counsellor, therapist or even your GP, and they may be able to offer you some professional advice on how to manage your anxiety and feelings of stress. I would also perhaps try having a chat to a careers counsellor as well, as they may be able to help you develop a plan of action for your future studies. 

I wish you all the best, please feel free to keep chatting with us if you'd like. We're here to support you.

Take care, SB

livi_mivi
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey BobbyOz, 

I'm really sorry to hear this, it sounds as though you are experiencing a lot of stress right now. 

Is there someone that you can reach out to at uni to discuss how your mental health has impacted your studies? Perhaps there is a way that you can get special consideration for your exams or even discuss the possibility of retaking exams/subjects to ensure you can pass? You might also be able to discuss your financial liability and if there is a potential to help out with your debt? 

In the meantime, as others have suggested, it could be worth getting a mental health care plan from your GP so that you can connect with a mental health professional and work on strategies to cope with your anxiety/identifying triggers etc. 

I wish you well and hope for the best possible outcome for you.  

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello BobbyOz,

Hope you are well and not stressing too much about uni, although it would be understandable if you were. You definitely still have a lot of options. As livi_mivi mentioned, speaking to your uni about getting special consideration could be a good idea. Through special consideration you may be given extensions on assignments and a longer amount of time to complete exams. 

For this particular exam, talk to your uni, show them how you've been getting great marks all year and this exam was not your normal performance. You might be able to sit a supplementary exam or perhaps they could give you an estimated mark based on assessment performance. Getting a letter from your GP will also help back you up and help your uni understand what was going on. 

Keep us updated!

Beeee

BobbyOz
Community Member

I’ve got so many problems in my life caused by anxiety. I’m underweight and can’t eat much without nausea. I can’t get my driving license because I get panic attacks while driving which means I also can’t get a job. I failed University and am in huge debt. What should I do? I’m on medication and I’ve seen tons of psychologists but nothing seems to work.

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello again,

I'm so sorry anxiety is affecting so many different aspects of your life. It seems like you have tried your best with medication and psychologists. Can I ask why previous psychologists haven't worked out? Was it their personality or style of therapy?

Beeee

I’m sorry BobbyOz I understand anxiety is hard to deal with.

Have you ever thought of having a diagnosis done by a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist?

You really can learn to manage this with the correct help.