FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Extreme anxiety and stress on school.

StevenN_
Community Member
Im 14 and in Year 9. I'm currently seriously affected by anxiety and worry. I've been falling behind in school work and unable to complete even simple tasks. Today I was in music and we learnt music composition. I had 0 literally 0 idea about what we did and it was so hard to understand. I just felt butterflies in my stomach and I asked everyone but they seemed to kind of ignore me. I felt so fragile, lost and desperate. This feeling has been happening every single day since I had covid around 2-3 months ago. Everyday I'm shaking and so scared to go to school. I feel like no one understands me and think I'm just lazy but I can't physically complete my work or be motivated to do anything because I'm avoiding the thing thats hurting me in the first place but its only making it worst. Seeing everyone so happy and so ahead of the work compared to me has damaged me. Why is that I've tried so hard but gained so little. I've been crying almost everyday. I know i sound so stupid but im at tipping point. I have so much stress with assesment tasks because I'm not understanding it since I'm fighting my brain everyday. I want to ask for help but im scared of burdening people. im so sad
7 Replies 7

Sophie_M
Dear StevenN,
  Firstly, welcome to the forums we are so glad that you found your way to this supportive and welcoming community. We hope that you find ideas, options and support from the shared experiences and knowledge of all our members. This is a safe space to share and express your own feelings, struggles and experiences without judgement.

We would encourage you to reach out to Kids helpline on 1800 55 1800 or at https://kidshelpline.com.au/ . This service is available to anyone 25 years old and under.

They have counselors that you will be able to talk with about your anxiety and may provide some strategies to catching up with some of your school work.

Regards

Sophie M

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi StevenN,

Wellcome to our forums.

Im sorry you are feeling this way, I understand it would be hard for you.

I understand anxiety can be really hard to deal with.

Anxiety can make it hard for us to focus on things.

Its not your fault, anxiety can effect anyone and it’s something that happens within our body.

You really can learn to manage your anxiety with the the correct help.

Have you thought about speaking to your parents about the way you are feeling and how anxiety is affecting your life.

You could have a chat to your gp also about the way you are feeling.

Please try not to compare yourself to anyone else, I understand they seem happy and ahead but they may not have anxiety to deal with, once you can learn some coping strategies things can get better for you.

Im sorry you have been crying anxiety can make us feel distressed.

You really aren’t burdening any one and talking about the way you are feeling is the first step towards feeling well again.

Please come back to us.

StevenK
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

First of your not stupid, secondly it mite seem like your behind most people, but reading what you just wrote as a 14 year old do you know how rare that is to have awareness of your emotions. Here’s the thing my friend, our thoughts create our emotions. So the nature of our thoughts have become ongoing, anxiety is always because we are thinking about a story that’s negative, you may be brought up in a negative enviroment at home, and now as a teenager when your growing it’s become difficult

you see my friend most people suppress there emotions and push them away, don’t ever do this. Because what you push away will come back. And here’s the thing.. your being vulnerable.. your leaning into your emotions, in the long run you will be ahead of 99% of the people in your year.

enotions are messages from the soul that are telling us to look at a issue. My advice is start reading self development books, stsrt journaling… keep a computer journal (can type faster then writing) write in this journal all your feelings and frustrations. This helps you to relive pressure. As for crying.. that’s a good thing, it makes us deeper as a person if we can feel our emotions

the trick is to allow yourself to feel the feelings of anxiety. So how do we change? By feeding into your brain positive messages and creating positive memories and experiences. To feel love practice loving your mates, to be joyous celebrate others, to feel happy make someone else happy, to feel calm be calm to others.

It’s important to work on the inside. Later in life your outside circumstances will begin to match how you feel internally.

we can change our thoughts by reading books, and listening to motivational talks on YouTube, we can also excersise everyday. We can pray everydayz

Books to read, the magic of thinking big, the happiness advantage. The power of now.

read even if you don’t like it.. every wealthy and super super successful person reads.

next seek your school councillor. I know it’s not easy but you must have some courage. Life gets easier the more we practice courage. And remember not all things are forever, your going through chemical changes and so it’s normal to feel our emotions. And now your simply aware of the pain you have inside you. It’s our self talk that needs to

change. It’s about putting more positive messages into your subconscious mind. Once there’s more positive then negative our feelings change

StevenK
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hang in there, you are very brave to be talking about emotions, this may be a season in your life that is pretty hard, but it won’t always be this way I promise. In times of hardship it’s important to focus on solutions to our fears and insecurities and to express how we feel to people around us that can help without judgement if you have anybody like that. And my other tip, so what makes you joyous? Is there anything that you find enjoyable that you do, do more of it. And remember to take baby steps, everyday try to Improve slightly. It doesn’t take huge steps to change your life. It’s changing your reaction to what’s happening. If you learn to respond and be ok with whatever happens then as you practice you can handle more big things. But yes get help: and remember god is helping. We are never given any challenge that we can’t overcome. This stage will be your blessing one day when you look back

Banksy92
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi StevenN_

You are definitely not going to burden anyone if you reach out for help. Many people have had similar experiences after lockdowns and are still struggling with anxiety or worry each day.

I am very sorry to hear you have been dealing with this all on your own, but you shouldn't have to. Do you feel comfortable talking to a parent/guardian about what you have been going through? Or perhaps a teacher you trust?

Once they know what is going on they can support you to make things easier. You will be able to get the help you need and your teachers can be mindful of how to support you in class.

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,

First of all, you are NOT a burden. You deserve to feel happy and on top of your school work. And if you have to seek help for that, then that's okay and there are plenty of people that will help you. You can start by talking to teachers, or your parents (if they are supportive). Another option is to see your school counsellor - do you have one of these?

Teachers' jobs are to make students' lives easier and to teach them not only just school work but valuable life skills. So you will not be burdening your teacher if you explain the situation and ask for help. Try to talk to a teacher that is approachable and not intimidating to you, they will most likely help you.

I am so sorry you feel this way but there is light at the end of the tunnel, just keep swimming and do not be afraid to reach out because you are NOT a burden.

all the best,

jaz xx

StevenN_
Community Member
thank you, i really do appreciate this. I've obviously haven't been in the best mental state. You know after a lot of suffering, i've felt so mentally worn down. I really do appreciate everything you guys done to help.