FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

emotional and cry easily

TealGem
Community Member

I've searched 'emotional and cry easily' read a few posts on the forum but still have my own questions.

Why am I so sensitive and why do I cry so easily.

Happy, sad it doesn't matter.

Its driving me insane! 

I dont want to waste GPs time but is it something i should see a dr about?

Im stepping up into a team leader roll at work soon and I can't be highly emotional 😔

I do have unmedicated mental health issues. Along my journey I've been told I have Anxiety more so social anxiety and still don't think I've delt with the loss of my father which was just shy of 9 years ago.

I've tried medication but i just cant do it i cant stand the 'high' feeling so flying solo. There's been many ups and downs but made changes and I think I'm doing OK.... I'm not a sad person and I don't understand why I'm crying half the time

Can anyone relate

3 Replies 3

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome 

Yes, I relate. Up to 53yo, 14 years ago, I think I cried my way through life. I didn't understand  it. I was diagnosed with several mental ollnesses on of which is dysthymia. Google- "beyondblue dysthymia".

We cannot of course diagnose but I've found that apart from dysthymia there is also HSP. Highly sensitive person can effect up to 20% of people.

So these fact plus any other reasons lead me to encourage you to visit your GP as your first step.

Since diagnosis I've embraced my illness and that sensitivity allows me to do my writings, poetry etc so please don't view your sensitivity as all bad.

TonyWK 

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi TealGem

I always deeply appreciate anyone who seeks to know themself on a deeper level.  I've come to learn over the years 'Why do I tick the way I do?' is often a far more productive mantra than 'What's wrong with me?'. As Tony mentions, there's nothing wrong with being a highly sensitive person but there are definitely quite a number of challenges to it.

Being a highly sensitive gal, my mum actually asked me the other day 'What has happened to you? You've become so sensitive over the years. You never used to be like this'. At 52, I've simply come to feel more deeply over time. I feel for others deeply and for myself at times. If I have a strong enough connection to someone or something, I will feel for them or it on a level that overwhelms me and brings me to tears at times. While I think about a funeral I'll be attending next Friday, it fills me with dread when I think about how I'm going to manage not sobbing and upsetting others. I just don't want to make that day harder for others, harder than it will already be for them. My 20yo daughter's boyfriend of a year and a half is someone I love deeply. His father died suddenly last week, at the age of 50. I have cried for her boyfriend so many times over the last week and for his siblings and especially his mum who is a beautiful person, so beautiful. I feel for you so deeply as you continue to struggle with the pain of losing your dad. It's such a cruel and heartbreaking pain. A heartfelt hug to you, TealGem.

I like to look at sensitivity as 'the ability to sense'. So, if you can sense other people's pure pain, their pure joy, their pure sense of dread or stress etc, it can get overwhelming. Btw, social situations can definitely become challenging for a HSP for so many reasons. If sensitive to sound (which is technically a form of energy), you can feel what that energy can do to you at times (the volume/amount of it), such as in an environment with loud music, people yelling over that music and over each other. If the base is thumping through the floor, can feel that too. The environment can have a really thick and almost suffocating feel to it. To add to it, if you're a major feeler, you can feel the self righteousness nature of others, who's judging/sizing you up, the developing lack of self control in those who are drinking and so much more. Happily, you can also feel every single truly natural and relaxing person you come across, those who put you at ease. 

A strange way to look at it perhaps but imagine suddenly developing a 'Super power' such as the ability to feel just about everything (your own nervous system included). How would you manage It? I've found the best way comes down to talking to others who have learned or are gradually learning. I've found that being highly sensitive to that which can be felt as depressing is one of the greatest challenges of all. It is always my mission to get to the bottom of what's causing those feelings, so as to not get to the rock bottom of a depression (a place that can feel like hell on earth).

Of course, a great team leader is one who can feel compassion through connection, can feel what inspiration feels like, can feel the needs of others and the best direction and so much more. The ability to emotionally detach, in favour of pure analysis, can be one of the challenges of such a great leader and feeler. How to stop feeling at the right times is a liberating skill.

strugglzreal
Community Member

Hi TealGem, Congratulations on the Team Leader role.

There's nothing wrong with going to see the GP if you are worried. If you have a good GP then they'll listen and take you seriously. Even if they say its nothing, they might be able to help you find some strategies to manage it

There's also nothing wrong with being a bit more emotional if that is normal for you!  I have friends who cry really easily - and cry at weddings because they are happy - and I don't really understand it, but that's normal for them.  If, all of a sudden they stopped responding like that then it would be a worry.  For me, it is the opposite.  I'm not a crier normally - and often become the shoulder for others.  But it means that when I'm crying at the drop of a hat, that is a bad sign, and actually kind of scary because its out of character.

If your emotional response doesn't interfere with your ability to do your job or otherwise enjoy life then it may not be anything serious.  

But, if it is causing you to worry, ask your GP.