FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Common cold and anxiety/depression

D Walsh
Community Member

Hi,

Does anyone else get exacerbations of their anxiety and depression when you are sick with a common cold? These last few days I’ve started feeling pretty average but the symptoms are similar to anxiety and depression and it makes me feel even worse. Instead of just riding out the cold, my mind is jumping to conclusions and that my fogginess won’t go away!

7 Replies 7

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear D Walsh~

Welcome back, it's been a while, so I hope the time since then has been reasonable for you. I read your previous posts at:

Forums / Depression / Relapsing for no reason

and found that you had times of increased symptoms, but thought maybe it was due to poor sleep. Do you think that having all the problems of a common cold is preventing restful sleep?

I've found in general when I've been ill it has made life harder to cope with and as a result anxiety has increased, partly worrying if I'm going to be able to cope, and partly because things are actually more difficult. If I can't breath properly for example then just about anything is a real trial, the same goes for continuing pain. I guess there is a fair degree of frustration in there too.

There are always times when symptoms get worse, you have had depression and anxiety for around 13 years I guess, and in that time will have had to experience these fluctuations - it is the nature of the beast. You will undoubtedly improve again, it just (sadly:( takes a while.

Croix

Quercus
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi D Walsh 😊

Yep. What you're describing is how I feel. And yes I have a cold now too.

I think anything that runs us down has the potential to make our MI worse. The good news is (from my experience anyway) it passes.

There is a saying that I'll poach from another member here (wave to Paul, Blondguy 😊) to be gentle to yourself. It is completely appropriate for you now.

It's ok to feel foggy and crap. You're unwell on top of managing a MI. And that is hard work.

Time to rest and allow your body to fight this cold. Good foods and plenty of fluids and rest (the usual although I am not a doctor of course).

When I'm unwell the hardest part is eating well but it really is important. Do you have anyone who could make a few healthy dishes for you? Soup is a really easy one to have on hand.

Do you have any sick leave? It might be good to have a few days to care for yourself.

I hope this passes for you soon. If your mental health changes significantly or you are worried you could always phone one of the helplines for a talk or go and see your GP just to check in.

Nat

D Walsh
Community Member

Thanks for your responses guys. As you would all no doubt agree, it’s just frustrating when you have relapses. I’ve been through them 100’s of times and always come out the other side. Just when I am in the middle of the funk my thoughts get the better of me and I think I won’t get better this time.

With my job I can’t really take sick days as I am in a position of high responsibility. I’m not worried by that though as at least it can distract me to some degree

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear D Walsh~

Yes, thinking thing are going to turn out for the worst when in a very anxious state goes with the territory. It is really hard to have perspective at those times. I'm lucky I have someone who understands and tells me when I'm going off track. Do you have someone like that? It is a real comfort.

Using work as a distraction is a great help too, in fact I find at times it is so engrossing it drives the stressors out of my mind - at least for a while.

I've found the following (rather long) thread helpful too:

Forums / Anxiety / SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING ANXIETY

The experience to know you will come out the other side is a boon, I do hope you recover soon

Croix

Marc12
Community Member
Yes this always happens to me. Sometimes I think i might not actually be sick at all it’s just my anxiety mimicking an illness. Thankfully my doctor is very good at calming me down when this occurs and reassuring me I’m ok.

RB82
Community Member

Hi,

I’m sick with a cold at the moment and this morning I was feeling down. It always scares me when I get those feelings as I know it’s super hard to shake them off and the fear of slipping back into my depressive state is just so damn scary!
I “Dr Googled” it this morning and came across this thread.
it makes sense that when you are feeling run down, lack of sleep etc due to a cold that our minds associate it with those depressive thoughts and feelings.
Im glad I’ve found this page - reading these threads has helped me to rationalise my thinking.
I think sometimes we just need that reminder that we are doing ok and that things will get better.
thanks.

D Walsh
Community Member

Hi RB82,

would you believe I am going through the exact same thing I was when I wrote this post years ago - and when I started googling for validation I too came back across my post!

I too just get so scared that I am slipping back in to a major depressive phase instead of just taking the cold for what it is. It’s almost like depression is PTSD-like in the sense you can physically and mentally take yourself back to the times you have had bad bouts. I still don’t really know how to manage it other then knowing it does pass