FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Big step

Coco18-8
Community Member
Hi, a bit of backstory I have had some form of anxiety surround me for the past year. So I decided to take the step and tell my mum that I think I may need to see someone. Her reaction was mild she was ok with it but it was a brief conversation. I can’t help but feel even worse and more alone then I did before I told her. It took everything in me to tell her and now that I have I kind of regret it.I feel stupid and I feel like she thinks I’m being dramatic. I just really thought a weight would’ve been lifted of my chest yet I feel like more pressure has been placed on me.
5 Replies 5

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Co co,

Wellcome to our forums!

Welldone for reaching out to your mum, I’m sorry for her reaction to you…….

We are all here on this forum as a community to support you please feel free to discuss your feelings with us….

I understand anxiety I had severe anxiety OCD and have now recovered thanks to professional help…

How would you feel about going to your gp and letting your gp know how you are feeling? And how it’s affecting your life….You could do a mental health plan together this will enable you to see a psychologist…

Im here to chat

Sophie_M
Hi Coco18-8,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your story with us here.

We are sorry to hear that you have been struggling with anxiety over the past year. We understand this must have been such a tough decision to open up to your mum about and are so sorry to hear that you walked away feeling even worse and even more alone. Please know that we are always here for you, and support is always available.

If you would like to talk to someone, the Beyond Blue Support Service is available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport  One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals.

We hope that you will find some comfort here on the forums. Please feel free to keep reaching out here on your thread whenever you feel up to it.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Coco18, thanks for posting your comment and understand that by eventually telling your mum, might be the pathway for help, instead you've been left flat-footed.

Sometimes parents don't understand what we're saying or want to deny it or push it away and believe by you telling her that it never happened and push it to the back of their mind.

You have had the strength to tell her and now you need help, so if you're 16 or over you can go and see the doctor yourself, or if you're 25 and under Kids Helpline are a great choice, 1800 55 1800 webchat, online or by phone.

You are not alone, many of us have suffered from some type of anxiety and understand exactly what position you're facing, so please, this is something that you shouldn't drop, you need to either talk to us or the other contacts.

Write down all these issues in point form so it's easier for these counsellors to read, then they will instantly know how you are feeling, but we'd also want to help you, so please when you are able to we'd really like to hear back from you.

Geoff.

Miz
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Coco,

Well done for reaching out - both here and to your mum! I know exactly how difficult it can be to talk to your parents, especially when they don't respond the way you hoped. I think it's important to remember that there is always support you can get from other avenues. If you feel comfortable you could talk to close friends or siblings about how you are feeling - otherwise seeing a counsellor at school or online can also help! I know our parents can sometimes be disappointing when it comes to mental health - mostly this is because they don't know how to handle it and were never taught about it themselves. Over time though I promise you your mum will come around and be supportive. If you feel comfortable you could try talk to her again and tell her that you feel like you aren't being supported and want to see someone. Don't forget help is always here for you!

Stay safe and well.

Self-Awareness22
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Coco18,

I am sorry to hear you have been feeling anxious. You should not feel guilt reaching out. It is a brave step. Know the more you start to become more aware of the ways you are feeling and speaking about it, the more confidence you can gain to seek assistance from someone. Support even beyond your Mother would be an option for you Coco18. You can feel much more relived with expressing how you feel. Learning strategies to manage your anxiety can be so helpful.

As stated by Sophie_M

If you would like to talk to someone, the Beyond Blue Support Service is available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport

I hope you're well Coco. Know on your journey there are many people to support you.

Keep Well

G