FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Big mistake and anxiety

Basilboy
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I've made a big mistake (under tough conditions). I'm having some serious intrusive thoughts and being incredible hard on myself. 

My mistake is work based and could be catastrophic for my career. I also have information that could destroy a business. I'm so torn as to what to do and I don't know how to stop the racing, intrusive thoughts.

Thanks everyone, I'm new to this community but must say the chat feature saved me today! 

3 Replies 3

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

This might help.

A long time ago I worked for a Govt body. I was told to accept what was mini corruption. It favoured a Local politician as he was friends with my bosses. I refused. I continued to treat him like everyone else in society. 

Eventually I went off after a panic attack that was initially misread as a heart attack. I was off work for 10 months and during that time I fought the Govt body bosses in the media and push for inquiries that I was successful at getting. I had all the evidence. Regardless, I lost my job. I was going to therapy.

Therapy helped as I finally got clarity. 

• It was honorable my actions but not realistic. I over reacted. I should have accepted such grey areas exist and distanced myself from the corruption
  • I could have easily told my supervisor to handle the situation and cut me loose from it
  • It took me 22 years to recover from anxiety from that situation.

So, without knowing the circumstances depends whether a similar dodging of responsibility is just, however, the first thing to realise is that only humans make mistakes. Mistakes are ok  as long as you learn from them. If they are criminal in nature then you'll need to swallow the consequences.

So intrusive thoughts are also interesting. My therapist at the time trained me to reject unrealistic thoughts. Consider if they are a real possibility if not keep busy with activities and they will disappear. An idle mind is filled with a wandering mind getting filled with these.

The most important thing about serious life events like this is- that in  one year or so it will be resolved one way or the other. Then you'll look back and realise it is a mistake and you'll be optimistic about the future. Be more gentle with yourself, even the most intelligent of all people make mistakes.

Does that help?

TonyWK

Hello!

Thank you so much for your reply.

I am in awe of your passion for fighting for the right thing. 

Your reply helps immensely. My mistake would not cause criminal actions but could hurt myreputation in a small town. 

I, like you have sought legal advice and I have very strong case (which would destroy the business and leave people out of a job) BUT I will not take action unless forced to. I think it is better to let it go and learn from my mistakes. Look after myself, my family, my mental health.

I am seeking therapy and have just commenced medication to help with my depression and anxiety, which is already helping.

This forum and service literally saved my life, so again thank you for the reply and advice. 

I love the intrusive thoughts suggestion...they can definitely move along!

Hope you have a great day!

Basilboy! 

That really great to hear as we dont get a lot of feedback and dont expect it either.

Letting it go so to speak is often the better alternative, however it can annoy us for a long time so we have to also find ways not to allow it to fester underneath. There is positives in all negatives and often time heals through, in this case, owners sell up, workers change, it might not ever happen again.

But essentially pride and stubbornness can be our enemies. Life is too short to get too tied up in whats right or wrong while missing the beauty of the grey in between.

Regards and welcome here anytime

TonyWK