Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Stormgrl101 my thoughts
  • replies: 5

Too many rambling thoughts, as per usual. Sorry if it doesn't make sense :S I find it weird that everyone is different and forced to find a way to live and cope in this world. Many different beliefs, values,morals, cultures, careers and experiences. ... View more

Too many rambling thoughts, as per usual. Sorry if it doesn't make sense :S I find it weird that everyone is different and forced to find a way to live and cope in this world. Many different beliefs, values,morals, cultures, careers and experiences. Communication with other people, whether it be strangers to me or family is a daily struggle. It's something we all have to do yet it feels unnatural and weird to me. People talk all the time and I don't know how they do it. Many times I can't find the voice to talk let alone come up with something to say. Going out in public, see people going about their day. How do they work out their next move or what to do next? How do they have such long conversations with people and it not bother them? Day after day. I try to do my homework from the psychologist. Have a small conversation with the cashier at the supermarket. Even a 'hello how are you' will do. I get up to the register and nervously look at all the people around and instantly feel overwhelmed. I squeak out a 'hello' and that's that. I go to the car and burst into tears. I have failed yet again.I've only ever had one job. Which ended with me having a breakdown and quitting. Although leading up to it I was often feeling overwhelmed at work so much i just couldn't do it. All I want is to work for my money, enjoy what I do and live in my own place. I hate feeling like a burden to my family and best friend. I wish I I could be a better person for them. I feel isolated and alone. Stuck. I don't even know where I'll be living next year yet. Might have to go back to parents house. I just want a break!

Grizzo introduction
  • replies: 4

Hi everyone. .have just joined this group.hope to get some more info on my condition! ? I'm 34 have major confidence issues and have so since I was a teenager! Have a wife and 2 beautiful children a house and I work full time, I can't bring myself to... View more

Hi everyone. .have just joined this group.hope to get some more info on my condition! ? I'm 34 have major confidence issues and have so since I was a teenager! Have a wife and 2 beautiful children a house and I work full time, I can't bring myself to drive a car I have issues in crowded places I can't even enjoy going to the movies or a show without stressing if I can get a seat away from everyone so I can get up when I please! My ideal way to spend my downtime is completely alone without any body I can't even sit down to eat with my family! Have been trying to get help from a doctor and been referred to a psychologist. . But I don't enjoy talking with anyone about this so this has not been helpful! Currently taking medication. Works sometimes to control the physical signs like sweating and rapid heart and trembling but has not helped me with confidence. Basically I want to know how to have fun again and get myself back on track and have fun with my family. Thanks in advance for reading my story! Mick

Prawn Turning in a circle!
  • replies: 6

Hi I have had anxiety for a while and I often have the power to handle it but I do also get the occasional point when it seems to beat my head. I have the tools and some knowledge to fix that. But one thing I don't know what to do about is, my digest... View more

Hi I have had anxiety for a while and I often have the power to handle it but I do also get the occasional point when it seems to beat my head. I have the tools and some knowledge to fix that. But one thing I don't know what to do about is, my digestive system just doesn't seem to want to operate and it is causing me to turn in a circle because I try to eat healthy and do exercise and it doesn't work and I still put on weight and it is really starting to get me down because I am loosing confidence in myself. Anyone know or been through this symptom on anxiety before?

Petrie Constant worry
  • replies: 1

I've had anxiety for as long as I can remember. For the past 10 or so days however I have been experiencing extreme anxiety. Far worse than anything I've felt before. I've been constantly worrying about a variety of topics. As one subsides another ta... View more

I've had anxiety for as long as I can remember. For the past 10 or so days however I have been experiencing extreme anxiety. Far worse than anything I've felt before. I've been constantly worrying about a variety of topics. As one subsides another takes it's place. I've had a few panic attacks during this time and have been crying a lot. My partner is taking me to the doctors as soon as we can get an appointment but I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for how I can manage this in the mean time. Just hearing about other experiences would be helpful too. Thanks

TheGuyYouHate Life is Hard
  • replies: 3

I really have no idea how this works and i am very sorry im not the smartest person in the world, so this might be a little difficult to read. Im a 19 year old guy and i just dont know how to move on, i have recently been involved in a rather lengthy... View more

I really have no idea how this works and i am very sorry im not the smartest person in the world, so this might be a little difficult to read. Im a 19 year old guy and i just dont know how to move on, i have recently been involved in a rather lengthy legal situation and i have been mistreated by the police. I find myself constantly afraid and anxious the fear of not knowing what my feature legal status will be is really getting to me. i find it hard to go out as the police had released my name, making everyone i see feel like enemies. I thought i was okay for a few months but just recently i realised that im really not okay and i have no idea how im going to move on. if anyone has any advice please it would mean so much to me for you to give me a hand. ( i havent been able to see a counsellor or a psychologist for a few months now as i cant find a job due to the police releasing my name)

Scotty2013 Hi been a while
  • replies: 4

Hi been a while again, Im back here giving Facebook a rest, I'm find it's increasing my Anxiety. The adding of people i don't know, groups are not run properly, more like dating sites, place is an Anxious Landmine. I'm find it a difficult platform to... View more

Hi been a while again, Im back here giving Facebook a rest, I'm find it's increasing my Anxiety. The adding of people i don't know, groups are not run properly, more like dating sites, place is an Anxious Landmine. I'm find it a difficult platform to be open about things,I'm not sure why, yet people here see it also. The only difference here i am not liking 100 things or spending 12hrs a day getting overwhelmed. I wish this Anxiety didn't have so much influence on me, but it does, i get very overwhelmed easily, on the internet as i do in life...and become burnt out and exhausted. yet i don't want to feel left behind. :(..I Hope Geoff and David and few others are still about, I miss your words of Wisdom! Adios! as David used to say! TC

gnull is it possible to have romance when suffering social phobias?
  • replies: 7

Hello I'm 28 now and spent most of my teenage years inside the house too anxious to go outside. I've never had a girlfriend or even been on a date if i bring it up with a psychologist they simply say don't worry about it for now. If not now then when... View more

Hello I'm 28 now and spent most of my teenage years inside the house too anxious to go outside. I've never had a girlfriend or even been on a date if i bring it up with a psychologist they simply say don't worry about it for now. If not now then when? My friends tell me love isn't everything but i don't see any of them spending decades alone. I only recently made friends I have one close friend I talk to everyday and 2 other friends I talk to occasionally. It just feels like i'll be lonely forever.

poppy29 Do you ever feel like a failure?
  • replies: 2

I was always told by my parents to try my best and that is all one can ask for. Lately i have been feeling in relation to work, that my best just isn't good enough, and I'm failing. I know in a logical sense that I'm not a failure, and for all tense ... View more

I was always told by my parents to try my best and that is all one can ask for. Lately i have been feeling in relation to work, that my best just isn't good enough, and I'm failing. I know in a logical sense that I'm not a failure, and for all tense and purposes from the outisde it looks like im a sucess but it doesn't stop the feelings of unworthiness. I worry so much sometimes, that it feels like im in a tailspin and cant stop. I start to think all kinds of fanciful things such as all these different worries, and all these people ive effected. I just go on a tangent. I find it so hard to shake these feelings. I just feel so anxious sometimes in relation to work and i feel panicked. Sometimes i can deal with it, and sometimes i cant. I just wondered if others feel the same? RELATED THREADS I hate my life and I have failed at everything Feel like a failure at everything I feel like a failure at life, love and work I am a failure Procrastination, constant anxiety, worried about failing university

flower_girl1 Mental health plan

Hi All So I am at a cross roads right now. I have been ADs for a few weeks and I have to go back to the doc soon. I a, having a never ending debate in my head about booking a double session with the GP to get a mental health plan. I am. Wry anxious a... View more

Hi All So I am at a cross roads right now. I have been ADs for a few weeks and I have to go back to the doc soon. I a, having a never ending debate in my head about booking a double session with the GP to get a mental health plan. I am. Wry anxious about this choice for a lot reasons and I just can't make up my mind what to do. I can definitely feel the effect the ADs have on me and I still don't feel quite normal but I am not sure i can accept the idea that there is something really wrong with me. I am certain what I have been experiencing for the last few months has been anxiety and perhaps a little depression as a result but still I can't comprehend the idea of saying of asking for any kind of mental health expertise. The meds were hard enough. There's just a lot of things that run through my head that I don't think I can really voice to any one! What if I go to a doctor and they say that I am fine or its something like "you just need to get out more"? What if I am just being a hypochondriac? Can any one tell me what the mental health plan actually involves? Are there questions? Just how personal do they get? How do you know if you need one or if meds will eventually be all you need. I am just feelings very lost and scared about this choice. A very big part of never wants to sit and talk about how I really feel, aanother part is desperate to. flower_girl

Danni1301 Anxiety is starting to consume me

I am 24, I am sad more than I am happy, I worry about things constantly that are out of my control and I can't let go of things people have said to me. I constantly jump to the worst conclusion, I assume that when things happen it's because of me, I ... View more

I am 24, I am sad more than I am happy, I worry about things constantly that are out of my control and I can't let go of things people have said to me. I constantly jump to the worst conclusion, I assume that when things happen it's because of me, I have severe nightmares and I never feel good enough. I haven't eaten a real meal since Monday, constantly stressing over my new job and my relationship. My new relationship is perfect in every way except my anxiety and insecurities. I am with someone who treats me in a way that I have dreamed of since I can remember. He makes me feel beautiful, he says nice things about me and I can tell he means them, he is doing everything right. But understandably, given how much he does for me, when my insecurities or anxiety get the better of me, it frustrates him. I try to talk about what I am feeling and the thoughts that go through my head when I feel low, but sometimes, understandably, he takes it personally like I am unhappy with what he is doing. And when he gets upset or frustrated with me for having certain feelings, it brings me down so much because I don't want those thoughts plaguing my mind or our relationship anymore than anyone else does. For the first time ever, I am in a relationship that I see being a completely long-term, real deal, forever thing but I am so scared I am going to ruin it by not being able to control these thoughts that completely consume me at times. It takes over my whole life. I can't sleep, I can't eat, I can't read or work or watch TV and it is exhausting. Today is the lowest I have ever felt, and it prompted me to book in my first counseling session which really scares me. I feel like I am crazy, when I know I am being irrational but I can't stop it in its tracks. Then I look back with so much guilt and embarrassment for how I have acted and it ruins me. What can I do to help myself and boyfriend through this? Because he is constantly trying to help me, but he needs my support too. And sometimes I find it so hard to put my feelings aside to meet HIS needs because I am so consumed by these thoughts. Today I thought the answer was to end the relationship, regardless of how much heartbreak it was going to cause me, to save him from having to deal with me, which really hurt him. So now I feel guilty about that too. I just don't want to be the cause of someones stress or unhappiness, and I have no idea where to go from here.