Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Remy82 How do I get my husband to better understand my anxiety and off?
  • replies: 5

Hi guys just wondering how others go about getting their spouse to understand and accept their anxiety? I have suffered from ocd and anxiety for many years and my husband is a wonderful person and has often held it together for us when I couldn't. La... View more

Hi guys just wondering how others go about getting their spouse to understand and accept their anxiety? I have suffered from ocd and anxiety for many years and my husband is a wonderful person and has often held it together for us when I couldn't. Lately when I'm struggling he says he doesn't know how to handle it any longer and doesn't like to think that things won't change. I hate more than anything that my issues have such an affect on him, yet I feel that these statements only make me feel worse and guilty. Does anyone else have this happen?

yarnartisan Letting those I love trigger my self doubt and anxiety help please
  • replies: 1

So recovering from a bad depressive and anxiety episode. Last year I had acute stress disorder as a result of a series of work injuries ,burn out and dealing with workers comp and the govt organisation I work with. Long story short I chose to move to... View more

So recovering from a bad depressive and anxiety episode. Last year I had acute stress disorder as a result of a series of work injuries ,burn out and dealing with workers comp and the govt organisation I work with. Long story short I chose to move to less stressful. Position at a lower rate of pay as I was no longer physically or mentally able to cope with my previous job. I was offered a payout to compensate for the lower wage. Despite urging from others including my sister to pursue this legally to get more money and more medical coverage for my mental health issues after a long discussion with my husband and from what I have observed has happened to others who chose to legally challenge the govt dept .they never seem to win and or ruin their health in the process. So we chose to sign off my worker.s comp and take the payout. Through out that time my sister although supportive,felt I should take it further and was giving in.. Now she,s just arrived back firm being away overseas and in a chat on the phone asked how I.d been. I explained and again she said is this time off covered by workers comp blah blah. I know she loves me but she also makes me feel a wimp for not fighting harder. But I just can't cope with anymore and she's bought back all my self doubt and I am feeling so sad and pathetic and that bloody lump in my throat, bot no able to cry. You know that feeling? i'm 52 years old why do I still let her get to me like this? Why does her opinion or judgement matter when I know logically that she doesn't understand what I have ? I know what is best for my health I have to make that choice can't she let me be. Can someone out there help me get some proportion on this please yarnartisan.

chelsworth The Tales of Genralized Anxiety
  • replies: 5

I was first diagonsed with GAD in 2013. I had a major breakdown over something and my partner basically told me he couldn't help me anymore and to go seek help. I was very, extremely reluctant to go get help because I'd ben raised in a family which h... View more

I was first diagonsed with GAD in 2013. I had a major breakdown over something and my partner basically told me he couldn't help me anymore and to go seek help. I was very, extremely reluctant to go get help because I'd ben raised in a family which held stigmas about mental health and illness, but I went because I wanted to keep my relationship and thats when life starting making sense. Looking back I held the personality traits associated with GAD, perfectionism, shyness, a worrier, I have trouble with change, a need to be accepted by my family and peers and then in year 12 when I got my first ever D on a test, my dreams of becoming a doctor slipped away and I headed into a dark spiral. I was irritable, angry, couldn't focus, on edge all the time, running a million miles an hour and it followed through with me until I had that first major breakdown two years later. Anxiety effects my life in what I consider to be very annoying ways. I have trouble holding a full time job, so I work casually. I can't stay dedicated to a form of education and have changed my degree so many times over. I have trouble maintaining friendships, I give up on myself easily, I hide away from life and responsibilities and when it all gets too much I have anxiety attacks that are absolutley emotionally and physically exhausting. It's basically blagh. I've always been certain I never wanted to take medication to help me, so I tried all the other various forms of treatment, psychologist, councellors but there were two dominant forms which have helped me immensly. These included CBT and yoga/meditation. I hate the feeling of not being in control of a situation and how I react to it, so these two forms of therapy have taught me to breath, take time out, recognise my thought patterns and associated actions and respond in a more rational manner. Anxiety is something that I don't let define me, but it is a part of me. I'm lucky I have one very understanding partner who has stuck by me all this time. I still have bad days, but then I have good days. I'm not the best at sticking to a plan to maintain a balance in my life, but I'm getting there slowly. I've worked hard to remove the stigma from myself and my family are coming around slowly. I'd never wish anxiety upon anyone ever, but I've learnt so much about myself and life that I am thankful for what I've been through.

pepper7 Really Unsure??
  • replies: 3

Hi, My Brother in Sydney attempted suicide twice, I flew over by myself to sort his finances etc even had to clean unit at one stage from one of the incidents. I have dealt with this and said Im strong I can deal with it, I'm superwoman. Plus hiding ... View more

Hi, My Brother in Sydney attempted suicide twice, I flew over by myself to sort his finances etc even had to clean unit at one stage from one of the incidents. I have dealt with this and said Im strong I can deal with it, I'm superwoman. Plus hiding a lot of incidents with my brother from Mum and Dad as they are elderly, to protect their health. My older brother does not have a lot to do with my younger brother, so I am it. Lost my job of 13 years got thrown on the list of unemployed at the age of 49 was in and out of jobs for 2 yrs...friends ask every time they see me re jobs so do family. Worked for a company on the brink of bankruptcy, so resigned. Four months now unemployed, however just got a job I had applied for have worked there 2 days from 7.30 to 5pm it is a totally feral and stressful workplace I am a CSO so need to be on the ball, learning software that is totally foreign to me, but still expect miracles of myself. I was shaking and in tears this morning just wanted to run away from it all. The fear of it all got the better of me, half way there I stopped the car and called my manager and told him I would be totally useless today for him as a close friend had passed over night !!!! I am so disgusted with myself why couldn't I be truthful and just say, I hate the job I don't want it the hours are too long etc....etc...Well the reason is my husband and my friends and family, I am scared as to what they might think of me! I fear as to what might come of me at my age. My husband I don't believe is even aware of what I go through until this morning as he was leaving for work he asked me if I was looking forward to my day, I said well yes and no. He tries to reassure me that its only early days and not to expect too much of myself, but it hasn't helped the fear of it all. I said to him did you know that I think I suffer from anxiety attacks and I think it has been present for some time. He gets really sad when I tell him things like this sometimes he gets upset, I can sense it so I resume to be all ok and strong, I don't want him to see me weak. As I write this he is not aware that I did not make it to my new job, so I guess it could be a major topic tonight. He is the most supportive husband I know I hide a lot of how I really feel about situations from him...so he doesn't worry. I wonder out there does anyone else go through this or anything similar, because at the moment I feel so numb......don't wanna talk or see anyone just wanna be alone.

Rophs Anxiety is not a weakness - my story

Hi I had my first anxiety attack when I was around 16 and I thought I was going to die, my mum found me on the floor gasping for air and trying to call my sister. My attacks are dramatic heres what I experience... first I start concentrating on my sh... View more

Hi I had my first anxiety attack when I was around 16 and I thought I was going to die, my mum found me on the floor gasping for air and trying to call my sister. My attacks are dramatic heres what I experience... first I start concentrating on my shortness of breath which is the first sign, I get surges of anxiety that almost feels like electric running through my body, then comes the uncontrollable crying, numb hands, loss of speech, shaking jaw and legs. Once this is all over I feel lifeless, tiered but also relived and free. I hid this from my partner for as long as I could but the first time he saw this he was speechless and did not know what had happened. He didn't completely understand it until he also had an anxiety attack. My mum said the trigger was dealing with my Dyslexia in school and ever since then I have had attacks randomly my whole life. One of my friends made a comment that it was weak which made me realise how ignorant people are about this disorder and that I don't think anyone can truly understand it unless they deal with anxiety. I am General manager of a successful video production company, I manage a team of 10, its fast paced and a lot of responsibility! My anxiety does not hold me back if anything it makes me want to prove I am more than anxiety and I can take control. Anxiety doesn't mean you are a withering mess all the time you can live with it, I do everyday! Sure its annoying and pops up at the most inconvenient times but you cannot let it rule your life. My anxiety can be from not wanting to go into a shop until I know what I need to get for dinner, to feeling shaky and physically sick until a disagreement is resolved. I saw Beyond Blue which urged me to go to the doctors after deal with this for over 10 years, I have never dared to do before because I thought you know what people are dealing with worse things than this and I am wasting their time. All I would suggest is finding the right doctors do not go to quick turn over doctors, my experience with them was bad, my doctor almost dismissed it tried to put me on anti depressants and made me sign up for therapy then sent me on my way. I have grown up around mental illnesses, manic depression, Schizophrenia, alcoholics its been apart of my up brining and I am not sad about this because these have been the most memorable people in my life and not for their illness but for their character and personality. Remember it is not a weakness.

Jessie-Marie Health anxiety and panic disorder..any nurses in their 20s experiencing this?
  • replies: 6

Hey, First time ever posting on an online forum and really interested in talking with anyone who is experiencing chronic Health anxiety and panic attacks. My condition is deteriorating and getting in the way of me being able to complete normal day to... View more

Hey, First time ever posting on an online forum and really interested in talking with anyone who is experiencing chronic Health anxiety and panic attacks. My condition is deteriorating and getting in the way of me being able to complete normal day to day tasks. I am in a constant state of anxiety which often turns into a panic attack and I'm becoming so frustrated and depressed. I have recently started in a new role as a nurse in a busy aged care facility and last night did my first shift alone, got half way through and completely freaked out with panic and had to go home .. I'm devastated anyone out there had or having a similar experience? Cheers

Liz90 Missing anxiety?

Hi, So through being mindful and aware and bringing myself back into my own space, I've really learnt to keep the wolves at bay. Today I had an exam, I was in such a panic, it was about to churn into something awful. I had visions of being carried ou... View more

Hi, So through being mindful and aware and bringing myself back into my own space, I've really learnt to keep the wolves at bay. Today I had an exam, I was in such a panic, it was about to churn into something awful. I had visions of being carried out of the exam! Ridiculous I know. However, I'm feeling like I've got this thing under control most of the time. Usually I sit here at night with the tv on, drink my tea and try to get rid of those pesky anxious feelings that constantly sit in my stomach ALL the time. But last night and tonight the anxiety seems to have disappeared completely. For hours. And THAT makes me feel uneasy? I'm relieved don't get me wrong but, I feel a little bit lost. Not having that being controlled feeling? Not knowing when it's going to come back? Should I be happy or scared? Does this happen to anyone else? I'm so confused. I feel like I should be rejoicing but I feel a little flat about it? Worried? ARGHHHHH!!! Thanks

mushabelly new and confused

Is it anxiety or depression this i am working on but sometimes it hits so hard. I become sad and over think everything. I know this is hard for my partner because i feel he is one of the only person i can dump on and its straining. I stuggle with goi... View more

Is it anxiety or depression this i am working on but sometimes it hits so hard. I become sad and over think everything. I know this is hard for my partner because i feel he is one of the only person i can dump on and its straining. I stuggle with going out by myself and question whether people actually want to be out with me. I dont know how ro form friendships. I have thos fear of doing or saying the wrong thing so i dont and if i relax i can just feel like i am being stupid. I dont really know if this makes sense but i have to get it out of my head. I need to understand why i am like this. I have been on antidepressants for 6 months and they have helped though sometimes it gets to much normally if i say it to someone it takes away the power but then on the same level i dont want them to know to judge. I am seeing a physiologist. Sorry this is very jumpled just dont know and never have tried to explain it to someone.

LittleSteps Struggling a bit.
  • replies: 6

Really struggling a bit tonight. So much going on I just don't know how to break it down. * Working full time (very blessed to be in employment but it's in a turbulent environment and every day is the threat of losing my job) *

Really struggling a bit tonight. So much going on I just don't know how to break it down. * Working full time (very blessed to be in employment but it's in a turbulent environment and every day is the threat of losing my job) *

DarwinMarceline Anxiety Advice
  • replies: 4

Hi, I am new to this forum and I'm looking for advice. I have always struggling with severe anxiety that my parents shrugged off to being "shy" I had a stutter and pulled my eye lashes and eyebrows out with tweezer to the point of not having any. Unt... View more

Hi, I am new to this forum and I'm looking for advice. I have always struggling with severe anxiety that my parents shrugged off to being "shy" I had a stutter and pulled my eye lashes and eyebrows out with tweezer to the point of not having any. Until my parents noticed this habit they finally took me to a doctor and his response was "what does a child have to be anxious about?" I eventually learn to control it but then started with panic attacks at 19 (i had never had one but my mum suffers with panic attacks this is how she knew what to do, Luckily!) I had these over 12month and has them at any small task that i thought was too big for little ol me to take on. Again i didn't get professional advice. They eventually stopped and i managed with all my anxiety. Since starting my current job 12 months ago i have gotten worse again. My stutter has come back and I have start pulling my eyelashes out again (I usually don't notice, it's my partner who point it out and tell me off) My jobs has been getting more and more stressful as the work is being piled on and i'm also studying online on top of working 6 days a week. My partner works odd shifts so we sometimes go an entire week without seeing one another, i have no family here and I have started to make excuses not to leave the house if i don't have to, which isn't good for my poor dogs who love their walks. I have started having a few days off here and there for "headaches" which i went to the doctors for and they told me i was "too stressed" This weekend just gone my partner sat me down and told me he thinks my anxiety is getting out of my control. I'm getting a lot more short tempered and being obsessive compulsive about things (cleaning the house over and over again in one day) I cry most nights when i get home from work because i don't know what to do. Everyone is telling me to quit my job but it's not that simple. I don't even have time to look for a new job let alone have an interview. My partner wants me to get professional help but i wouldn't even know where to begin. I have never sat down and told someone everything i actually feel let alone admit to a stranger that i can't cope anymore. I am struggling to admit to myself let alone someone else. Please help?