Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

dodge_phoenix Flights & Anxiety
  • replies: 2

I am having problems with my Anxiety again. I had it under control there for some time & now that I'm traveling over to the usa my anxiety is back &I'm finding it hard to control. Also I have recently changed jobs & again my anxiety is playing up. I ... View more

I am having problems with my Anxiety again. I had it under control there for some time & now that I'm traveling over to the usa my anxiety is back &I'm finding it hard to control. Also I have recently changed jobs & again my anxiety is playing up. I have never left Australian shores & I have never been on a aeroplane. Is there something I can take in the lead up to going over to calm me down or do have have to ride this one out. I am scared & getting more scared whenever my wife, kids or mother inlaw talk about the trip, getting stuff down before we go & most of all the long flight over. I was once on medication & had zero anxiety but had anger issues. It took 7 months or so once I finally got off the tablets from the lowest dosage to get over the brain zaps, dizzy spells, nausea & mood swings. But almost 2yrs on from finally being off those tablets, I'm getting anxiety at the fear of death, flying, well being of my family, when I'm sick (it gets worse again for fear of not getting better) enclosed spaces. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards Dodge Phoenix.

Sunshine1992 Fear of accidentally poisoning self

I seem to have developed new fears. I'm having trouble with constant fears of accidentally poisoning myself. Last week I pulled out broccoli from my garden with my sister, came inside and used a tissue, and then became obsessed with the possibility o... View more

I seem to have developed new fears. I'm having trouble with constant fears of accidentally poisoning myself. Last week I pulled out broccoli from my garden with my sister, came inside and used a tissue, and then became obsessed with the possibility of Legionnaires disease from possibly getting soil on the tissue and then using it. Today I put cream on a bite on my knee, washed my hands but then later on scratched that same part of my knee. I then went to grab some bread, but became worried that there was cream on my hands so I threw the bread out to avoid possible ingestion. Then later today I touched the syringe which we use to put my dogs medication in her food. A couple of hours later I ate some lollies, and I can't remember if I washed my hands after touching the dogs medication container. Now I'm convinced there was medication on the container, and by not washing my hands I have ingested it. I know logically this is irrational, but these thoughts trigger my physical panic symptoms, and it's hard to calm myself down when I have these thoughts of poisoning in my head.

Tux1971 I CAN'T STOP WORRYING!!!
  • replies: 3

Hi, I'm a 44 year old mum who has been suffering from anxiety and depression on and off for the last decade. I am a professional worrier and worry about EVERYTHING, but my speciality is worrying about what people think of me, in particular friends. I... View more

Hi, I'm a 44 year old mum who has been suffering from anxiety and depression on and off for the last decade. I am a professional worrier and worry about EVERYTHING, but my speciality is worrying about what people think of me, in particular friends. I'm constantly worrying that people don't like me (even though I've always been very popular and most people describe me as 'the life of the party', 'always happy', 'sunny', 'funny' etc. I'm very good at covering up things) or that friends are going to suddenly decide that I'm not their cup of tea anymore. Even though I have many friends and I'm a very friendly and outgoing person, I still constantly worry that I'm going to be friendless and alone. I feel like everyone else has their sh*t together and I'm just a 44 year old mess. My biggest worry at the moment is that a good friend of mine who used to txt me everyday, always be up for a catch-up, always do things with me, has suddenly drifted away from me without any explanation. I rarely get responses to my text msgs and the energy when I see her is awful, like she really just doesn't want to talk to me. This is driving me insane and I worry about it constantly and it's turning me into a mess. Most people would confront the person, but I can't bring myself to do it, because what if she tells me that she's gone off me or that I (unknowingly - I would never knowingly hurt someone) offended/hurt her. That would just confirm my fears and send me into a downward spiral. The thought of confrontation sends me into a panic. And here's the crazy bit - if I bumped into her tomorrow and she was fine with me, I'd immediately stop worrying about this, and find something else to worry about. I really feel like I'm losing my mind. I can't escape the constant rumination and reliving of every conversation, interaction, etc. It's just exhausting. I'm back on medication, but they haven't really kicked in yet. Am I alone?? Does anyone else out there do this too???

FEELING_NERVOUS sensitivity and social anxiety
  • replies: 4

I have developed social anxiety lately. I get it only some places. I dread a couple of places where I may run into a person i connected with. I felt a projection that ws good but it has turned to a negative projection. Anyone have any experience with... View more

I have developed social anxiety lately. I get it only some places. I dread a couple of places where I may run into a person i connected with. I felt a projection that ws good but it has turned to a negative projection. Anyone have any experience with a social anxiety being linked to a projection. I find it difficult to talk to this one person, can talk to strangers easily and in other social groups. I am beginning to avoid going where i feel it. anyone else have experience in this.

KellG Feeling like I'm going to explode.
  • replies: 1

Hey everyone. I'm not coping at all. I want to cry but I can't. I want to get angry but I can't. I'm hot then I'm cold. My whole body is shaking. I can't handle the kids touching me. Which I think they know because they are climbing all over me. We a... View more

Hey everyone. I'm not coping at all. I want to cry but I can't. I want to get angry but I can't. I'm hot then I'm cold. My whole body is shaking. I can't handle the kids touching me. Which I think they know because they are climbing all over me. We are dairy farmers and at the moment there is no money. Bills are stacking up and no way to pay anything. I've been suffering from depression for many years, but over the last couple of years it's also turned to anxiety. I just don't know how to relax and calm down. I just want to breathe. I'm rambling because I can't describe exactly how I feel.

Mazing Anxiety induced panic

Hi I have BPD but lately suffering a lot more depressive episodes than manic ones. Anxiety is through the roof. I am on medication and have weekly consults with my GP and am about to start sessions with a new psychologist. It's worst at night when I'... View more

Hi I have BPD but lately suffering a lot more depressive episodes than manic ones. Anxiety is through the roof. I am on medication and have weekly consults with my GP and am about to start sessions with a new psychologist. It's worst at night when I'm alone, and I feel totally overwhelmed by panic and fear. All that's going on in my life seems like it's actually physically suffocating me, leaving me at times in extreme distress, difficulty breathing, sleeplessness, agitation, inability to relax or sit/lie still, racing thoughts, elevated heart rate... it's awful and there's been times I've thought I was dying. These times are usually preceded by a trigger moment. Does anyone else experience anxiety on such a scale and what have you found effective to calm or settle the anxiety? It is honestly one of the worst feelings I can say I've experienced in my life. Many thanks in advance.

Miskaye Constant anxiety and am unsure why

Hi all, Im a 25 yr old women with 2 young boys and currently 9 weeks pregnant. Ive suffered anxiety close to a year now. Im unsure why or how it began. I believe it may have had something to do with my situation at that present time. I was in an abus... View more

Hi all, Im a 25 yr old women with 2 young boys and currently 9 weeks pregnant. Ive suffered anxiety close to a year now. Im unsure why or how it began. I believe it may have had something to do with my situation at that present time. I was in an abusive relationship and felt stuck. I have since left and freed myself and my children from that but am not going through court process for care arrangement. I feel helpless and constantly tired of trying to keep my mind busy. I wish everyday that i had done something different so i could have never got this disease.

OCDgirl88 OCD: My Story
  • replies: 6

Hi I'm Steph,I have battled OCD for as long as I can remember and as a budding writer I recently had the urge to share my experience with OCD on my blog. My main reason is to help my friends and family grasp what I go through daily (as I often get to... View more

Hi I'm Steph,I have battled OCD for as long as I can remember and as a budding writer I recently had the urge to share my experience with OCD on my blog. My main reason is to help my friends and family grasp what I go through daily (as I often get told to stop my rituals like it is that easy, or yelled at for following my compulsions; even though most of them have their own mental health conditions with mental illness embedded in our genetics, they don't have OCD however. Although I haven't had the guts to share the link with them either personally or on Facebook yet, despite publishing it a few weeks ago, I'm still building up to it.Another reason is I have always felt alone, and on bad days I often search the internet for personal OCD stories to feel a little less alone, but there's not too many that are searchable and I hope that by sharing my story I can give someone a little bit of hope as I've reached the stage where I see that 'things do get better' and to help others like myself feel a little less alone.Finally, I'd like to start spreading more awareness about OCD. Something I hope to do more publicly in the future (if I am fortunate to be a successful writer) Thanks,Steph

Mermaid_64 Breast Cancer Survivor now feeling anxious!
  • replies: 3

I am a positive, healthy, fun loving 50 year old woman. I am 8 years post my breast cancer "journey"..having had full mastectomy, oophorectomy (removal of my ovaries)...chemo and radio..the bic mac of treatments they say! I also had a full diep flap ... View more

I am a positive, healthy, fun loving 50 year old woman. I am 8 years post my breast cancer "journey"..having had full mastectomy, oophorectomy (removal of my ovaries)...chemo and radio..the bic mac of treatments they say! I also had a full diep flap reconstruction, which gives me a new right breast..all very good and positive. I also exercise around 4 times per week. I sailed through my treatment, choosing to take it a day at a time. Meditated for 18months, went back to painting and sculpting..and generally living the life i wanted. All seemingly going well. This year, i have since separated from my husband of 30 years..again..seemingly amicable..said goodbye to our family home and now reside with one of my adult daughters and her partner. I have since met the love of my life..who lives overseas. We have decided to make a go of living in 2 cities. I am extremely happy and grateful for this time in my life. I should ad, i am the support person for my closest friend..who's husband is dying of Mesothelioma, an insidious and cruel disease. So why now...? Do I start to have what i feel are symptoms of anxiety? I have not suffered from mental illness in the past, but have always been aware and conscious of changes in my thoughts. I would be described as an extreme optimist. My symptoms are: tightness in my chest, at times shortness of breath, a sore back, i am teary, tired and have trouble getting a restful nights sleep. The worst part, is the overwhelming feeling cancer is going to come back. I wake in hot and cold sweats sometimes..Every ache and pain, i panic. This has not happened in the previous years...it seems to be getting worse the longer i survive! Watching friends and public figures die from Cancer, does play on my mind also. .Makes me think "why am i still here, happy and healthy"..I don't believe in "i deserve happiness", because everyone does! .I have not been to a support group for cancer survivors, as they tend to be a bit dark and i tend to feel too much..I have not been diagnosed with Anxiety either, this is the first step i have taken to learn more and find out if anyone else feels or felt this way..and how did they overcome these feelings. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Mermaid 64. "

Nori00 My social anxiety...

I'm 30 yr old mum to one amazingly sweet girl and pregnant with another.. However I'm very socially anxious.. I actually have 2 very close girlfriends but I have trouble meeting and connecting with new people so much so that it actually prevents me f... View more

I'm 30 yr old mum to one amazingly sweet girl and pregnant with another.. However I'm very socially anxious.. I actually have 2 very close girlfriends but I have trouble meeting and connecting with new people so much so that it actually prevents me from doing the things I want to do.. I even avoid taking my daughter to busy parks because I don't want to be in a surrounding where people might see me as awkward or weird.. I don't know what's wrong with me.. I work 3 days a week but in an office with only 4 others and I've been in that job for 10yrs so don't have to socialize there really .. On the weekends my husband works so we don't get a lot of time to actually socialize together and I kind of hate going to family or couples events on my own...the funny thing is my husband has heaps of friends and is extremely good with people, he can put anyone at ease which is one of the reasons I love him so much but it also makes me feel incredibly inadequate...most of my days off work I spend with my 2 friends (1 has kids) or my parents because these are the only people I trust and feel comfortable around however it makes me feel weak, isolated and lonely that I can't make friends easier for my own sake as well as for my daughters sake..I feel depressed about it all but I don't want to go on any medications... I've always believed that exercise and diet is a natural antidepressant and I know they say you have to make time for these but between work, my daughter and house duties I just feel exhausted!