Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

nootnoot Starting to feel depressed again
  • replies: 3

For the last 2 weeks I have started to feel depressed and anxious again. This is because I am having problems with my boyfriend. Things were going really well for us (or so I thought) up until I got back from my trip in Melbourne which was about 3 we... View more

For the last 2 weeks I have started to feel depressed and anxious again. This is because I am having problems with my boyfriend. Things were going really well for us (or so I thought) up until I got back from my trip in Melbourne which was about 3 weeks ago. I wanted him to come over to mine so we could talk about how our relationship was going but he seemed down that day and felt like he was letting me down in our relationship so he decided to break up with me. Ever since then I have been trying to help him. I know he loves me but he is scared that continuing a relationship with me will get in the way of his music. I don't want to go into too much detail about it right now but basically I feel like my heart is breaking. Things were so good between us and I keep thinking about all our happy times together and how I wish it was still the same. I don't know what happened and it's hard to find the time to talk to him since he is often busy with work or his band. I haven't been eating much or at all the past 2 weeks and I have lost about 3 kilos. I will be starving but the smell or even taste of the food makes me want to be sick. I can barely sleep and need to take something so I can sleep and block out my loud thinking mind. I am mentally exhausted and want to sleep all the time but I can't sleep because of all the thinking I do. I also don't want to go back on medication again. I don't know what to do any more.beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

dontworrybehappy91 Nocturnal panic attacks
  • replies: 7

I have been having panic attacks late at night. Majority of the time I am asleep and I wake up possessed by an attack. My heart races and I go completely in to flight mode. I haven't been on my anti anxiety medication for months now. But tomorrow I a... View more

I have been having panic attacks late at night. Majority of the time I am asleep and I wake up possessed by an attack. My heart races and I go completely in to flight mode. I haven't been on my anti anxiety medication for months now. But tomorrow I am going to be courage and go to the doctor and get a new script. I know this won't help my attacks but what else can I do. I have become a lot better at managing my attacks. But they are always at night time now and I wake up confused. Does anyone else experience this? It is a horrible thing to happen. I hope someone can feel comfort knowing that someone else is going through the a similar experience. Because I will, I decided to make an account and connect with people today. Because I'm starting to get scared to sleep at night and the only person who can help me is myself.

molokow I am not sure if I am experiencing Anxiety, can anyone help?

Hi All, I feel that my body is really light, and I become stressed over nothing. For example, I sent a message to the wrong friend and then I became paralyzed with worry. It was a private message, and had some personal things in it. Furthermore, I fe... View more

Hi All, I feel that my body is really light, and I become stressed over nothing. For example, I sent a message to the wrong friend and then I became paralyzed with worry. It was a private message, and had some personal things in it. Furthermore, I feel that my heart is pounding, and often try to hide from people, and do things so that no-one can see me. I never used to be like this, and this has only happened over the last 4 months. I had a motorcycle accident last year, but never experienced any PTSD.

MirandaONeg Severe Anxiety and Self Medicating
  • replies: 5

Hi There,I'm new to beyondblue and pretty new to mental health issues..or so I thought until I did some research. I spent a lot of time alone as a kid and have no close family, only a couple of close friends who live mostly far away. I've always crav... View more

Hi There,I'm new to beyondblue and pretty new to mental health issues..or so I thought until I did some research. I spent a lot of time alone as a kid and have no close family, only a couple of close friends who live mostly far away. I've always craved social situations and am comfortable most of the time, but after devloping serious anxiety and panic problems after a breakup in January of 2013, things have changed.It began with heart palpitations, insomnia, nausea and tremors. When the symptoms became so severe I was unable to work (within a month), I started smoking weed to self medicate. I noticed that if I was high, the risk of panic and deep, irrational, instant feelings of isolation and pain would virtually disappear, and I could sleep and eat better without feeling sick. Over the last 18 months I've spent virtually every day getting high at least once. I'm so afraid of losing my job and hurting my friends with my disfunction that even on good days, I still smoke just in case a random wave of hopelessness hits me. When I run out or when the symptoms become so severe that even weed can't alleviate them, I obsess over unhealthy parts of my life. I'll think repetitive trains of thought about silly flirtatious exchanges and obsess over the people I have them with to the point that I'm convinced I'm in love with them. Even as i feel those feelings, I know they're unfounded and ludicrous... but then just circle straight back. It's difficult for me to feel any natural loneliness which I would usually cope with, without it spiraling into complete depression. One moment I'll be normal, the next I'll feel ice cold dread take hold of my entire body...then back again.Small, meaningless activities like having to shower and get dressed cause me to think about what comes next, then next, then next, until i get so flustered and disoriented,I can't do anything but feel like crying for no reason. I don't want to have to smoke every day and the only SSRI I've tried has had awful results. Is there any medication which might help me relax, organize my thoughts, and maybe sleep better? Even if all I can achieve is a functional level, capable of going a single hour without these nonsense, repetitive heartwrenching feelings taking over, it would be an enormous relief.Even numbness would be better than this.Anyone else experience anything like this?Thanks so much...and hope someone here might be able to help. -M

Kasee Anxiety getting me down
  • replies: 4

Hi folks, I am very new to this site. Sorry to say not new to my anxiety symptoms. Ive always been the strong one the family member who always took care of things....5 years ago we lost my Dad to Ca, hubby survived a heart attack all the time caring ... View more

Hi folks, I am very new to this site. Sorry to say not new to my anxiety symptoms. Ive always been the strong one the family member who always took care of things....5 years ago we lost my Dad to Ca, hubby survived a heart attack all the time caring for very young boys. Work I thought triggered my symptoms including 2 x trips in an ambulance truly believing at the time I was having a heart attack! These were boiled down to be panic attacks, never had experienced them before..,,, how awful..... first time visits to a counsellor and the fight to be commenced on medication saw anxiety levels slow down. 4 weeks ago again chest pain, symptoms so like a heart attack saw me again visit the emergency felt twice again, so far cardiac results clear, off for a stress test next week. I had slowly weaned myself off my meds as I was feeling 'in another world' and felt great. A stressful couple of days with work seemed to bring me undone!! Constant worry about am I dying? Is my family ok in the car? Why are they 10 minutes late? Worry over things that I shouldn't need to!! I'm presently recovering from surgery which all is ok but now finding being home, heaps of time to rest I am constantly on line looking up why l'm having these symptoms.... Many I know can be related to recovery such as heavy chest, pain in shoulders, shortness of breath...I am not being sensible, I'm fighting with my 'practical' me.......... i truly have nothing 'major' to worry about, I'm very fortunate in many ways.... Why then do I feel I am losing grip??!!! Anyone else feel like this?? Thanks for reading this long winded post.

Chriss84 Health anxiety
  • replies: 6

Hi I have had anxiety for a while it started as social I have been able to work passed that now it has come back as a Heath anxiety I have been to the doctors more times than i can remember this year and nothing is ever wrong but in my mind everythin... View more

Hi I have had anxiety for a while it started as social I have been able to work passed that now it has come back as a Heath anxiety I have been to the doctors more times than i can remember this year and nothing is ever wrong but in my mind everything I feel is a serious illness i am on meds and I go to therapy but lately I just can't seem to control it I find myself getting lost in trying to find something wrong with myself to the point I convince myself I am really sick and start the have the symptoms of what ever I think I have found when really there is nothing there I am sick of feeling like this does anyone have any advice on how to over come this It is starting to take over my life

Kamima Strange physical anxiety symptoms!
  • replies: 5

So about 2 years I had a major anxiety panic disorder break down, very physical symptoms for me and while I overcome that terrible time, from time to time since then I still get physical feelings from anxiety but I can control it to a extent "kind of... View more

So about 2 years I had a major anxiety panic disorder break down, very physical symptoms for me and while I overcome that terrible time, from time to time since then I still get physical feelings from anxiety but I can control it to a extent "kind of" but in the last 3 days my hands well a couple fingers have been kind of freezing up not doings what I want them to, mainly my left hand, alongside my pins and needles in left arm, and Google tells me I have MS! Which I sopose could be right! Is there anyone else with aniexty out there that understands this finger feeling and gets it??!!!

Kizmet03 My story- Seeking support
  • replies: 6

Hi, Iam new to this &would like to share my story in hopes of receiving support. I was a nervous kid who attended many schools as a child due to my fathers occupation. I was the perpetual new kid &because of this have never really had established fri... View more

Hi, Iam new to this &would like to share my story in hopes of receiving support. I was a nervous kid who attended many schools as a child due to my fathers occupation. I was the perpetual new kid &because of this have never really had established friendships. I married young &Iam currently going through a divorce age 29. My marriage ended firstly because of my need for a child which never came. After many gruelling cycles of IVF we were left heartbroken &financially desolate. My husband also has mental issues which were exacerbated by the loss of his job, He has been on a downward spiral since. After years of his abuse it all ended a year a go with a violent incident &me having no choice but 2face the reality of my situation. I had to leave my abuser. I left everything behind, including my full time job &moved in with my parents. Where I still am now a year on. I work 2casual jobs & I'm still paying the mortgage with my ex as we are having troubles selling. My ex no longer works & is on a disability pension. I have had anxiety for as long as I can remember, My stomach churns, I shake, chest pains, panic attacks &have issues with sleep. My anxiety has greatly impacted my life, I have never felt worthy, I don't have a drivers license &I have few friends. I am good at pretending to be the tough girl, there are people who come to me for advice.If only they knew I cry myself to sleep. I feel I have failed in every aspect of my life.My most recent source of angst was yesterday when I failed my Ps test. I had made a commitment to myself & have been learning to drive. It seems minor but I am overwhelmed by the fact I failed at a task most pass when they are still in school. I feel lonely, shame, isolated because I can't drive & fear getting older & not having a child. I'm at a stage where I feel a pit in my stomach daily. That sense of dread u feel upon waking when something bad has happened the day before & u remember it suddenly, I feel that every day &I don't want to get up. My happy place is my bed blocking out the world, when I'm outside of this I am counting the seconds until I can crawl back into bed. The irony is, I run a spiritual page on FB, I post lots of quotes about peace +love+harmony. I feel like such a fraud. I am in a gigantic pit of self loathing &despite my best efforts I can't seem to climb out, I envy people & Facebook stalk people's happy lives like some obsessed weirdo, wondering what I have done so wrong to deserve what I have. Thank u

Dylan90 is this really anxiety.

Hi can anyone relate to my physical symptoms. I am just struggling to beleive this is anxiety and im constantly worried about my heart. I have had echo, nuclear stress test, holter monitor 24hr, a number of ecgs and bloods and xryay all ok. Chest pai... View more

Hi can anyone relate to my physical symptoms. I am just struggling to beleive this is anxiety and im constantly worried about my heart. I have had echo, nuclear stress test, holter monitor 24hr, a number of ecgs and bloods and xryay all ok. Chest pain on and off during day. Shortness of breath. Left arm ache and sometimes tingling. Jaw pain mainly left side. Back pain upper back. Neck pain. Dizziness some days. Feeling empty below sternum. Rib pain. My doc assures me everything is good but im still worried. Also im 24 male and good blood pressure and cholestrol and resonably fit.

dodge_phoenix Flights & Anxiety
  • replies: 2

I am having problems with my Anxiety again. I had it under control there for some time & now that I'm traveling over to the usa my anxiety is back &I'm finding it hard to control. Also I have recently changed jobs & again my anxiety is playing up. I ... View more

I am having problems with my Anxiety again. I had it under control there for some time & now that I'm traveling over to the usa my anxiety is back &I'm finding it hard to control. Also I have recently changed jobs & again my anxiety is playing up. I have never left Australian shores & I have never been on a aeroplane. Is there something I can take in the lead up to going over to calm me down or do have have to ride this one out. I am scared & getting more scared whenever my wife, kids or mother inlaw talk about the trip, getting stuff down before we go & most of all the long flight over. I was once on medication & had zero anxiety but had anger issues. It took 7 months or so once I finally got off the tablets from the lowest dosage to get over the brain zaps, dizzy spells, nausea & mood swings. But almost 2yrs on from finally being off those tablets, I'm getting anxiety at the fear of death, flying, well being of my family, when I'm sick (it gets worse again for fear of not getting better) enclosed spaces. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards Dodge Phoenix.