Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Mr_Potatohead Anxiety tip
  • replies: 1

One thing I learned recently to say to yourself is " thoughts aren't real "

One thing I learned recently to say to yourself is " thoughts aren't real "

Sofala I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!!

I plain and simply HATE IT!! I hate that it has such control over me, I hate feeling like my nerves are shot ALL THE TIME, feeling so alone, so isolated, desperate for help and strength, desperate to feel 'normal' to do normal things to be happy and ... View more

I plain and simply HATE IT!! I hate that it has such control over me, I hate feeling like my nerves are shot ALL THE TIME, feeling so alone, so isolated, desperate for help and strength, desperate to feel 'normal' to do normal things to be happy and free from it. Why is it my sister is capable of jumping on a plane last minute and have a weekend alone, go to shows alone, go out for a cuppa alone and enjoy it? Why does the idea of just going to the supermarket send me into a panic? I just want to enjoy life, feel safe in my own skin, have faith in my mind and body, is that really too much to ask?

Em_thatisme anxiety won't let go and it keeps itself alive
  • replies: 3

So I was wondering if anyone else is like this. I have anxiety (a few of you have that ). I do things that perpetuate the anxiety. I keep: 1. looking at us gossip sites and the hours pass by 2. researching new things I should be doing for my family's... View more

So I was wondering if anyone else is like this. I have anxiety (a few of you have that ). I do things that perpetuate the anxiety. I keep: 1. looking at us gossip sites and the hours pass by 2. researching new things I should be doing for my family's well being when I have about four books that I should be reading that I know will help me deal with my anxiety and help me raise our son with Asperger's. So I have real things to learn and put into action. 3. getting distracted with crap that really does not matter. I think about my mother-in-law and her patterns of behavior. I think of my sister-in-laws and how we don't get on. 4. I think about how my sister-in-law has borderline personality disorder and I try to understand it better and therefore keep thinking about something negative. Anyway all the things that make me feel negative in some way and take me out of where I am are also the things that I crave. They are juicy for my brain. Now that wouldn't be much of a problem on its own but I can't bring myself to do any of the things I KNOW would help my days be better. I don't exercise, I don't meditate and I eat junk food. I should probably also mention that 2015 has been a hard year but even before that I was never particularly regular in looking after myself. So anyone else similar?

BasilThree Mornings are the worst
  • replies: 7

Wake up feeling ok, holding onto a nice dream, feel like a bit of a snuggle in my bed. But within minutes, those unhealthy thoughts come in, firstly it's quiet general (oh work, another day of unstimulating work, where I'm by myself for hours of end)... View more

Wake up feeling ok, holding onto a nice dream, feel like a bit of a snuggle in my bed. But within minutes, those unhealthy thoughts come in, firstly it's quiet general (oh work, another day of unstimulating work, where I'm by myself for hours of end), which I kind of shake off. Then they pop back to more specific, relationship problems, feeling alone, self pity, the future which all turns into 'how I am going to get through the next day, week, year?' How do I get support for this, when I am so independent and bristle when I get any advice from anyone, including people I love?

RHINO5 Anixety and panic / sport
  • replies: 4

Hi my name is Adam and I am a 26 year old male. My question to everyone on the forum is: ‘Have you ever had exercise induced panic attacks and have you got any advice in the area’. My background I have struggled with different levels of anxiety throu... View more

Hi my name is Adam and I am a 26 year old male. My question to everyone on the forum is: ‘Have you ever had exercise induced panic attacks and have you got any advice in the area’. My background I have struggled with different levels of anxiety throughout my life time, but in particular in 2010 after a knee reconstruction and during the last 3 months. I have been told that I have generalised anxiety/panic disorder. I am currently on a mental health plan which includes regular visits to the head doctor (psychologists) and medication. Exercise is my release and is something I really enjoy, but at the moment I fear doing it… It is highly frustrating and scary at times. Who on earth can play a sport and check their pulse 10-20 times during and after exercise. It’s like fighting against my body and I cannot stop it. I usually get through the exercise, albeit only pushing at about 60-80% effort. And any time I try to push a little harder, I find having bad panic attacks as soon as I finish. For instance I could go for a 5km jog for 30-35minutes and then after spend 2 hours on the lounge working through panic and fear of dying because of an increased heart rate and the more the heart rate rises the more I panic, which starts this vicious cycle, that has become crippling and has stopped me from doing so much not just sport but work, study etc. Although I experience anxiety, panic and hyperventilation in other parts of life, I haven’t really found any good research or advice on exercise induced panic. If anyone has any similar experiences or any advice toward it, I would happily take it on board. (Clutching straws) Thanks

plaster 3 kid's a small business and a partner
  • replies: 3

Hey guys i am a 25 year old with 3 kids and a partner i suffer anxiety with ocd compulsive worries and thoughts which my partner is there 100%.......who is there when you need support and feel alone like life is so hard closing in on you and you feel... View more

Hey guys i am a 25 year old with 3 kids and a partner i suffer anxiety with ocd compulsive worries and thoughts which my partner is there 100%.......who is there when you need support and feel alone like life is so hard closing in on you and you feel you cant share this with your partner as you see her life is way harder then mine she is home with children all day..... 5...4...2 thats how old they are amd yet i feel like i am trapped in a box i love her and my kids so so deeply but i am a short and snappy person since my friend anxiety devoloped as i am getting older i feel i want things......hobbies.....more money....anything and i am feeling more and more controlled by my partner and i dont know what to do something inside makes me feel more and more stress the more i am controlled yet in life you can't just do what you want when you want.....kids come first but i have no male friends to talk to about life i am a tradie a manly man and i feel like life is getting so hard but i cant share this with my wife as i feel so selfish how do you cope with this feeling please help

anxy26 anxiety/emetophobe
  • replies: 2

Hi everyone, I'm really struggling with my anxiety/phobia around vomiting. I have a 17 month old son and the last 5 weeks he has been vomiting and had diahhorea. I'm falling into a bad place living in constant fear of him vomiting, having to clean it... View more

Hi everyone, I'm really struggling with my anxiety/phobia around vomiting. I have a 17 month old son and the last 5 weeks he has been vomiting and had diahhorea. I'm falling into a bad place living in constant fear of him vomiting, having to clean it/him, worrying I'm going to catch something that'll make me vomit etc. I'm waiting to see a psychologist about it but that is more than a month away and every day I'm alone with him I'm tense worried and dissolving into tears due to the stress. My husband is great but can't always come home from work and I have no other family here that can help. Has anyone been through something similar? I feel like I'm slowly drowning....

GypsyAvalon ANXIETY WITH TRAVELLING
  • replies: 4

Hi Everyone, I have a bit of a dilemma I need help with. My husband and I would like to plan a weekend getaway in January to Queensland but I have had much trouble travelling in the past. I have a fear about being too far away from home and from my d... View more

Hi Everyone, I have a bit of a dilemma I need help with. My husband and I would like to plan a weekend getaway in January to Queensland but I have had much trouble travelling in the past. I have a fear about being too far away from home and from my doctor and psychologist, in case I start to feel unwell. This has stopped me travelling any more than 3hrs away from home. Would really appreciate your thoughts or suggestions on this. Many Thanks

Random3 Tips

I would love some help &feed back.... I've always thought I have been a bit ocd with thoughts, thinking in patterns or thinking if I don't do this then something bad might happen...I kind of got control of that. every now & then I get random thoughts... View more

I would love some help &feed back.... I've always thought I have been a bit ocd with thoughts, thinking in patterns or thinking if I don't do this then something bad might happen...I kind of got control of that. every now & then I get random thoughts that I stew on for sometimes a few days sometimes a month eventually I get over it & think how did I ever think that. A few years ago I went into a depressive state over my thoughts, I got help & eventually got through it but now it is all happening again & I feel so much worse. I am getting help, but I just feel so deep in. I constantly am thinking, I wonder what that persons thinking, are they even thinking about their family or this or that, so ridiculous I know. I feel like I'm at work standing their & all the conversations are just going on around me, I find myself thinking why r u even saying that, I feel so withdrawn & feel like I have conplelty lodt my way of thinking & always questioning if how I'm thinking is right even when I am feeling fine. I know this is happening as I just over think & I am getting help to try & improve this but any tips would be great. Not even sure if any of this has made sense to anyone, but I feel completely crazy & I'm scared I won't get out of this horrible feeling!

flower_girl1 What if this is as good as it gets

Hey, it's been a while, to recap I started experiencing severe anxiety about this time last year, when I first came to beyond blue. I was medicated, I quit my job, finished college and moved to London. i am now in the same kind of job I had before an... View more

Hey, it's been a while, to recap I started experiencing severe anxiety about this time last year, when I first came to beyond blue. I was medicated, I quit my job, finished college and moved to London. i am now in the same kind of job I had before and I am starting to feel really stressed in it. It's a shame because in theory this is the kind of job that I want but dealing with customers can just be so aweful when things go wrong. I love the job but day to day there seems to be so much I don't love about it. but when is start to look for a different job I just can't find something that I will be enjoy that I can do and pays decent. I guess know I'm wondering if this is all I can expect from any job, to just scrape by and not really enjoy it. What if there isn't really a job for me out there? flower girl