Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Bluey_moon What am I doing
  • replies: 6

I feel like I'm tearing my family apart, my husband says he is very unhappy and he doesn't know how much longer he can do it! My daughter is starting to show signs of my anxiety and Ocd tendencies, and I'm scared my youngest will too. What am I doing... View more

I feel like I'm tearing my family apart, my husband says he is very unhappy and he doesn't know how much longer he can do it! My daughter is starting to show signs of my anxiety and Ocd tendencies, and I'm scared my youngest will too. What am I doing? If I can't get better soon?

green_s Can't fall asleep next to boyfriend
  • replies: 2

Hi all, This might seem like a bit of a silly post but it's really upsetting me so was just wondering if anyone had any advice. I've been with my boyfriend for a year and a half now and have never had troubles sleeping in the same bed as him but rece... View more

Hi all, This might seem like a bit of a silly post but it's really upsetting me so was just wondering if anyone had any advice. I've been with my boyfriend for a year and a half now and have never had troubles sleeping in the same bed as him but recently I just can't. We don't live together so our routine is pretty all over the place which I know doesn't help. Now that its happened a few times I just work myself up so much about not being able to sleep next to him that I end up lying there awake all night which usually ends in tears. It's such a stupid thing to get so upset over but I think I've convinced myself that it means something much bigger like that I don't love him enough or that I'll never get over this phase. We're going on a 3 week trip soon and I'm scared I'll hardly sleep and be terrible to travel with! Sorry for my ramblings! Thank you for reading!

meka alcohol and anxiety
  • replies: 5

Hi I am struggling with alcohol and anxiety I have got to the point whereby even a small amount of alcohol makes me feel terrible the next day and I wake in the early hours with overwhelming feelings of anxiety, heart pounding, panic and out of contr... View more

Hi I am struggling with alcohol and anxiety I have got to the point whereby even a small amount of alcohol makes me feel terrible the next day and I wake in the early hours with overwhelming feelings of anxiety, heart pounding, panic and out of control negative thoughts which last well into the morning. Is the only answer to give up drinking all together? Is it because I am also menopausal? Do other people experience this?

Chicken_Wings I was doing so well!
  • replies: 3

I came home from work. It was a pretty good day and then I cried. I told my partner I didn't feel safe. I meant that I didn't feel protected. Sometimes you just want someone to hold you and not tell you whether what you are feeling is right or wrong ... View more

I came home from work. It was a pretty good day and then I cried. I told my partner I didn't feel safe. I meant that I didn't feel protected. Sometimes you just want someone to hold you and not tell you whether what you are feeling is right or wrong you just need to be held and made to feel like they are there to protect you and right in that second it doesn't matter what you are thinking they are there and you can cry. He tried, he gave me a hug but said he wasn't sure what to do. I started feeling a bit better but then his mother rang. To tell us that she wasn't sure about some chicken we bought last night. So he asked me if I thought it looked safe. Keeping in mind I'm already weird about food. I said it just looked like chicken to me. We only bought it yesterday from a good butcher. I don't know. Then I came back into the kitchen and he asked again if we should cook it. I said I don't know, now you're making me paranoid. He said, what if we cook it and then it doesn't look right? I snapped. I said "I don't know. I'm not even hungry, can't you just make a decision!?" I felt like there was just all this talking talking talking and I was under pressure to be the grown up and be the one with the answer. I basically ran out of the room. I feel terrible. It's just chicken! Now I don't know whether I want to cry or or to sleep or just try and distract myself. Now I want to lay down and just curl up.

Ellie05 Fearful of night time
  • replies: 14

Hello, I've been posting a lot here lately, mainly because it gives me a few minutes relief from the anxiety that currently consumes me. I fear getting through each part of the day - the period before I have to leave for work, travelling to work, get... View more

Hello, I've been posting a lot here lately, mainly because it gives me a few minutes relief from the anxiety that currently consumes me. I fear getting through each part of the day - the period before I have to leave for work, travelling to work, getting through the day and then getting through the evening. But the most scary time for me is night time. I've been talking to my mum about it and she said, 'it must be horrible to be all alone in the dark, feeling horrible'. She really hit the nail on the head. Night time is when my anxiety really runs wild as I'm too tired to have any control over my thoughts and there's little stimulus to distract me. I get little sleep and spend most of the time pacing around the apartment trying to ease the anxiety, going back to bed, having the anxiety flare up again and so forth. It really sucks. That's all I have to say.

Chicken_Wings Feeling Pointless
  • replies: 9

I never know whether to post in anxiety or depression. I think this an anxiety thing? I woke up as usual feeling anxious this morning, but managed to calm myself and got a bit more sleep. Which I was pretty proud of. But, once I did get up I just fel... View more

I never know whether to post in anxiety or depression. I think this an anxiety thing? I woke up as usual feeling anxious this morning, but managed to calm myself and got a bit more sleep. Which I was pretty proud of. But, once I did get up I just felt that tension in my chest and I was anxious again. I went into the living room and lay on the couch and turned on the tv to try and take my mind off it. But I don't want to just sleep all the time. I know if I sleep now I wont be able to sleep later. So now, Im sitting here in my lounge, watching kids shows, wondering what to do? And trying to think of something made me feel kind of pointless. I don't have kids like my friends, I don't really have any hobbies or anything. I walked into my partners office and said "what do I do now?" and he said "you can do whatever you like". But I seriously can't think of a single thing to do. Its hot out today and the heat makes me feel worse, so I don't really fancy going for a walk. Going to the shops seems like a waste. There is nothing I need or want. I don't think I could concentrate on a movie. Its too hot to garden. So I just feel like I'm just sitting here waiting for another day to be over.

Captain_f Sick of my mind racing!
  • replies: 8

I've got a beautiful girlfriend, great mates, great family and just recently got myself an apprenticeship. I've got all these great things in my life and my mind starts to come up with a way to ruin them all with unwanted thoughts which I believe and... View more

I've got a beautiful girlfriend, great mates, great family and just recently got myself an apprenticeship. I've got all these great things in my life and my mind starts to come up with a way to ruin them all with unwanted thoughts which I believe and convince myself to the point where I think they are real! Intrusive thoughts that I have are I'm a violent person and fear of hurting others, being a pedophile, being gay, question if I like my friends, questioning if I love my girlfriend and many more. All of these things aren't true and I know there not but my mind won't stop racing and comes up with so many unrealistic things but because I play it out in my head 24/7, they're hard to deal with and I think they are so real. I feel like I'm losing the plot and fear that I won't be able to have a good life without worrying a about silly stuff. I get a break from it every now and then but then my mind comes up with a new way to scare me and I'll obsess over that for a while! I'm seeing a psychologist now and I'm currently taking medication however by taking this meds I feel like I'm completely numb and have no emotion. I just want this to stop so I can start living because I'm losing enjoyment out of life with my mind constantly racing all of the time.

Jay_Ro How to break the cycle?
  • replies: 4

Hi guys, new here. First post. I have been suffering from extreme anxiety disorder and panic disorder for over 11 years now. I have no triggers and we cannot work out why I suffer other than the well known "it must have been caused from your childhoo... View more

Hi guys, new here. First post. I have been suffering from extreme anxiety disorder and panic disorder for over 11 years now. I have no triggers and we cannot work out why I suffer other than the well known "it must have been caused from your childhood" answer. I can feel my panic attacks coming on but can't change my mind frame to stop the attacks from taking over. It takes me days to come down from a 5 minute anxiety attack and I find that if I'm panicking about one thing, if I move on from it- I just find something else to panic over. I do take medication, and it helps but I'm at the point now where I just feel like crying all the time. I'm depressed. I find myself constantly asking "why aren't I normal?" -however I know now that this is my normal. What im asking is, what seems to work for you? How do you break the cycle of the negative and worrying thoughts? Thanks in advance - Jes

Mummybee Health anxiety?
  • replies: 23

Hello everyone, I am new to posting here. I think I am getting health anxiety... i have always been prone to panic attacks followed by periods of anxiety, but usually just situational, and as soon as the issue I'm worried about is resolved the anxiet... View more

Hello everyone, I am new to posting here. I think I am getting health anxiety... i have always been prone to panic attacks followed by periods of anxiety, but usually just situational, and as soon as the issue I'm worried about is resolved the anxiety fades and I go back to my usual self. the problem this time is that it's my health I'm worried about and I'm scared that's making me find symptoms that aren't there and I will never escape this! it started when I had some foggy brain and when to the Drs about it. He said he wanted to do an MRI after my blood tests came back all clear just to make sure there wasn't anything sinister going on, and that's when I panicked. I'm a 32 yo mother of two young children and between the time he said I needed the MRI and when I saw him again I had convinced myself I had MS or a brain tumour or something that would kill me. when I rang for the results the receptionist told me that my dr wanted to see me regarding the results and I went into full panic attack. I couldn't breath, my heart was pounding my ears ringing I couldn't move my legs or arms... I made it to the doctors with some help from my mum and was told he just wanted me to see an eye dr as the MRI radiologist had queried a slightly larger optical nerve. No tumours no signs of anything nasty. But my muscles were so weak from the panic attack and it just won't go away, so now I'm so wound up and sick with worry about my muscles and why they are twitching like crazy and feel weak. This was three weeks ago and I'm still weak and twitching and can't get back to my dr until next week. i thought posting on here might help take my mind off it for a while and hear other people's experience with health anxiety. when I went to the eye dr my optical nerve was fine and my vision perfect but they did find slight changes suggesting cataracts. Cataracts at 32!! So now I have dr googled myself into being sick about the diseases I must have underlying to have cataracts at 32! thanks for listening. I'm so worried about not being around to watch my kids grow up

petey Anxiety and bed wetting
  • replies: 6

Hi everyone does anyone else have this prob of bed wetting with there anxiety ????

Hi everyone does anyone else have this prob of bed wetting with there anxiety ????