Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

ggina New to Here 2nd time suffering
  • replies: 2

Hi all im new to this 12yrs ago i was put on medication for panic attacks and did really good till the doctor felt i could come off the meds 3 and half months ago now i have it back worst than the first time. I have been back on the meds for 5 days a... View more

Hi all im new to this 12yrs ago i was put on medication for panic attacks and did really good till the doctor felt i could come off the meds 3 and half months ago now i have it back worst than the first time. I have been back on the meds for 5 days and its helping a little I know it takes time to get back in the system I am trying to find some info on relaxation so I can control it better.

Saft1980 Everyone else seems to have everything in place
  • replies: 8

Hello all, this is my first post. I feel like i have lots of issues going on in my life. Most of them seem to revolve around my own thoughts. I know i shouldn’t think certain ways or believe certain things but i keep on doing it. I fill my head with ... View more

Hello all, this is my first post. I feel like i have lots of issues going on in my life. Most of them seem to revolve around my own thoughts. I know i shouldn’t think certain ways or believe certain things but i keep on doing it. I fill my head with frustration and Anxiety and worry. I generally just do my best to avoid feeling like a total loser. Everyone around me seems to have so much more of their life in place, house, family, kids, job, etc. If they don’t have it then they seems to have so much more confidence in themselves to just go after it and make it happen, while i sit down in the hope that things might magically improve for me. Sometimes I kind of hope that somebody will come along and save me from myself. In other words, believe in me, even though I don’t believe in myself. I guess the question is, am i just being a wuss? I know this is a confronting way to look at it, but i also don’t want to pull my own punches. Is it fair or do I have the right to stress over my life without knowing what to do. Maybe i do have the right to feel stressed and anxious if i have problems that i don’t know how to solve. I also think if i tried harder i would be able to find the solutions to the problems that matter most. It’s just the way i feel at the moment. I’m tired of not feeling strong enough to deal with life.

Chris_B LIVE CHAT 3/12/15: A NewAccess coach's perspective on social anxiety
  • replies: 17

Hi everyone, Our next live chat will be here on Thursday 3 December, 1-2pm with Martin Tedeschi, one of beyondblue’s NewAccess coaches. NewAccess is a person-centred, low stigma, free early intervention program for people who experience mild to moder... View more

Hi everyone, Our next live chat will be here on Thursday 3 December, 1-2pm with Martin Tedeschi, one of beyondblue’s NewAccess coaches. NewAccess is a person-centred, low stigma, free early intervention program for people who experience mild to moderate depression and anxiety. Currently the program is being piloted in three trial sites - ACT, North Coast NSW and Adelaide - for anyone over the age of eighteen. Martin spent nearly 15 years as a structural landscaper, and he owned and operated a small business as a structural landscape contractor for 10 of those years. He moved to North Coast NSW and is now living in Coffs Harbour. Martin’s interest and dedication to the mental health area began when he gained his Bachelor of Psychology with Honours, followed by two years working with Lifeline. He joined NewAccess at the beginning of the program in January 2013 after completing his coaching training through Flinders University. Our live chat will be focussed on strategies to manage social anxiety, a commonly discussed topic here on our forums. PLEASE NOTE: Martin won't be able to answer questions about highly severe levels of anxiety and depression. If you are seeking this kind of support please contact our Support Service. So bookmark this thread, get your questions ready, and we'll see you back here on Thursday afternoon when this thread will be unlocked and Martin will be here to chat. (For those interested in further information about how NewAccess works, one of our forum members Daisee has a thread about her experiences using the program here.)

ci Crying again!
  • replies: 7

I'm so tiered had 2 terrible days anxiety so high causing me to be physically sick. Woke up today a little better really keen to achieve something I'm so behind with work and the house stuff! Everything seemed to go wrong though and here I am balling... View more

I'm so tiered had 2 terrible days anxiety so high causing me to be physically sick. Woke up today a little better really keen to achieve something I'm so behind with work and the house stuff! Everything seemed to go wrong though and here I am balling my eyes out again because my head has just run away with itself thoughts are crazy the pressure of day to day stuff is to much. Everyday this happens I fall more and more behind then the pressure of everything seems overwhelming and makes it worse it's this horrible cycle I can't get off! How do you make this end I feel so weak but honestly it's hell in my head! Sorry for the rant need to get it out

Living_in_a_world_of_anxi Living in a world of Anxiety
  • replies: 2

According to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, approximately 45% of Australians aged between 16-85 will experience some kind of mental health condition (Anxiety and Depression). For some people they are able to openly discuss what is go... View more

According to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, approximately 45% of Australians aged between 16-85 will experience some kind of mental health condition (Anxiety and Depression). For some people they are able to openly discuss what is going on in their life, which is very courageous, but for others they simply hide it away and no one knows about it, which is very easy to do when you just smile it off and pretend everything is fine. Im a very personal person and don't like to share most things in my life, however, in saying that, i am wondering whether if i let my guard down and share my personal experience, whether it will help me at all. This is not something i am doing for sympathy, i am not that kind of person, i am just wondering whether if i share my story whether it will help anyone else who is silently struggling. For around three years i have been struggling with severe anxiety and a bit of depression. It has undoubtedly made my life so difficult and determined what i can and cannot do everyday. There has been some really tough times where i couldn't even force myself to get out of bed and have had to just lay there all day and cry about it because i didn't feel strong enough to complete the simplest of activities. I have removed myself from many social situations because i either have a fear that the person i am meeting with secretly doesn't like me or even the fact that the group of people i might have social drinks with may stay out after 12am... Apparently that is an OCD thing that i have chosen a time to be home and if i am not in bed by then i freak out that i won't get enough sleep. It does sound silly when you say it like that but when you are actually living it, it is very real. I have a few lovely friends who invite me places regularly, which sometimes i deny the invitation and make up any excuse under the sun so that i don't have to go, not for the reason that i don't want to meet them, but for some reason my brain has made up that is restricting me from doing so (because something bad might happen). It took me a long time to come to terms that i had anxiety, i think my doctor told me about 6-8 months before i could admit it to myself that she thought i did. I think i was scared of admitting that there was something wrong because it is classed as a 'Mental Health Condition', but it was the best thing i could have done for myself. I am now seeing a psychologist and she is helping me to try and get my life back on track!

Bambino Fear of never feeling happy or in control

Hi, I have now this fear that I will never feel happy or in control no matter what I do. No matter how much breathing, walking or psych appointments I have I just feel like it's all hopeless. Does anyone else get this ? I need a bit of hope.

Hi, I have now this fear that I will never feel happy or in control no matter what I do. No matter how much breathing, walking or psych appointments I have I just feel like it's all hopeless. Does anyone else get this ? I need a bit of hope.

Bluey_moon The tiredness at beating this
  • replies: 25

Despite being pretty good during the day, at night the anxiety gets harder to deal with. The fear I'm feeling paranoid about people watching me when I know they aren't, anything really that used to make me anxious! I am practicing all the techniques ... View more

Despite being pretty good during the day, at night the anxiety gets harder to deal with. The fear I'm feeling paranoid about people watching me when I know they aren't, anything really that used to make me anxious! I am practicing all the techniques and I know I will get better, I know it takes time and practice. I just needed to confide!

Chicken_Wings Weird guilt?

Yesterday I had a pretty great day. Did gardening, went to the farmers market, went to Bunnings, went to the park. My boyfriend and I sat under a tree and he taught me some fancy math (he's good at fancy math). I had woken up with some anxiety and di... View more

Yesterday I had a pretty great day. Did gardening, went to the farmers market, went to Bunnings, went to the park. My boyfriend and I sat under a tree and he taught me some fancy math (he's good at fancy math). I had woken up with some anxiety and did some breathing exercises. But I can say that yesterday I honestly felt like a real human being. Today I woke up and didn't feel anxious. I was laying there waiting for it to kick in, but it wasn't happening. I felt a weird sense of dread and started looking for the anxious thoughts. I felt this weird feeling that I think was guilt. Guilty that I didn't feel anxious. So I got up and tried to get started with my day but just kept waiting for the anxiety to kick in. I just kept thinking about it. I wasn't feeling anxious, but I was thinking about it. I thought about a psychologist appointment I have on Wednesday and felt bad that I might not appear to have much of a problem. I've been getting on with my day, but I can't stop feeling a weird guilt and dread

Chicken_Wings Sometimes Things Don't Seem Real

I was wondering if anyone else ever has a feeling sort of like things aren't real. Things being the stuff around you, the world. I don't mean not real as in imaginary, I know it's "real" but sometimes I get this feeling like I'm not part of it. For e... View more

I was wondering if anyone else ever has a feeling sort of like things aren't real. Things being the stuff around you, the world. I don't mean not real as in imaginary, I know it's "real" but sometimes I get this feeling like I'm not part of it. For example, earlier today I was a shopping mall. There were lots of people and lots of things going on and I felt like a weird observer. Like I'm watching tv or something. It happens when I'm anxious so I figure its related?

Zoostar84 Background noises has been really irritating me
  • replies: 3

Recently background noises such as televisions and radios has been really irritating me. At work I may be using the computer at the main desk whilst 2 conversations may be happening behind me and the radio turned on. I have spoken to my manager and s... View more

Recently background noises such as televisions and radios has been really irritating me. At work I may be using the computer at the main desk whilst 2 conversations may be happening behind me and the radio turned on. I have spoken to my manager and she had told me to tell the others I will be turning the radio off for a short period. Work can be quite busy and noisy at times. I work in health and wearing headphones is not an option. I try to find quiet areas (closed rooms) when I am not needed or if I feel I need to escape. I went to the GP recently and was in the waiting room and the television was quite loud (not blasting though). After about 20 mins I was getting really irritated. There only a few of us and the girl next to me was watching it. I waited until she stopped watching it and went to use her phone. I asked her if it was ok for me ask the receptionist if I could get the volume turned town. She was fine with that and I politely asked the receptionist and she turned it down...actually so low that no one could hear it. LOL I was at my dads holiday house and the main television was on a music channel. Dad told me he will not be changing the channel and the volume will be the same all day. I spoke to dad and told me that the noise was really irritating me, I explained to him that I have to deal with it at work and I went away to get away from this. I then told him that I will be spending most of the day outdoors..which is where most people spent their time anyways. Any tips with dealing with background noises would be appreciated