Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

newtassiemum Struggling with post natal anxiety and sleep deprivation.
  • replies: 1

Hi everyone, I am struggling so much at the moment. My baby is almost 4 months old, and isn't sleeping much at night. I'm getting about 4-5 hours broken each night. Lately even when she is asleep I can't sleep. I hit my head on the car boot a week ag... View more

Hi everyone, I am struggling so much at the moment. My baby is almost 4 months old, and isn't sleeping much at night. I'm getting about 4-5 hours broken each night. Lately even when she is asleep I can't sleep. I hit my head on the car boot a week ago and ever since I've had terrible non stop headaches. When I lay down I feel like my head is burning. I went to one doctor and she said my headaches are due to my anxiety and sleep deprivation. I went to another doctor for a second opinion and while my neurological symptoms checked out fine she offered me a CT scan which I took, and came back normal. I still keep worrying that there's something wrong with my head though, it hurts so much. I'm too scared to sleep as I am scared I won't wake up and that my little girl won't have a mum. It brings me to tears just typing this. I'm currently seeing a psychologist every fortnight but I'm still really struggling.

Teacher9 morning anxiety
  • replies: 3

So i'm a relief teacher and have to wait for a call every morning for work. I've done this for many years and the anxiety is always there yet I've learnt to manage it better and it is usually only really bad after school holidays. Once I break the ic... View more

So i'm a relief teacher and have to wait for a call every morning for work. I've done this for many years and the anxiety is always there yet I've learnt to manage it better and it is usually only really bad after school holidays. Once I break the ice and get to work i'm fine but once I wake up and wait the anxiety grows. Growing up when I would be anxious going back to school or work I had family to talk to in the morning which diverted my attention, but I basically live on my own as hubby works away months at a time. This was first week back and I had a call in advance for work (which I usually prefer to get organised) but seeing it was just after school holidays my anxiety and anticipation was worse. Having been told in advance I had work, made my mind go into over drive and I woke up reaaal early thinking of everything and anything.To make matters worse I had bad period pain (sorry tmi) which amplified my emotions and I felt sick from this also. I got so overwhelmed I had to call in sick, which they were fine with but after a sleep and by mid morning i'm fine and want to slap myself for being so silly. Then I beat myself up over knocking back work. What can I do to stop morning anxiety until I get back in the swing of things. I only get this a few times a year.

Molly06 I don't know what to do now
  • replies: 12

My anxiety is back and it is just not going away. I'm on meds , I'm doing a course, I'm writing in a diary every day sometimes a couple of times a day, I'm walking, I'm deep breathing, I'm putting lavender on my pillow and feet at night, I'm challeng... View more

My anxiety is back and it is just not going away. I'm on meds , I'm doing a course, I'm writing in a diary every day sometimes a couple of times a day, I'm walking, I'm deep breathing, I'm putting lavender on my pillow and feet at night, I'm challenging my thoughts, I'm doing mindfulness meditation and still it's here , I feel like last night I had no sleep and all I wS trying to do was deep breathe through it. My next appointment with psychologist isn't until 22nd July and I can't get in earlier. i spoke to gp recently and asked if u should be changing meds and she thinks I am on the best one. I go back to work on Monday and I really need to get a handle on things before then, I am only on a temp contract and hope to have it renewed next year so I don't need to cause doubt in their minds . i feel like I have no where to turn , I had been taking some tablets to try to sleep at night but deliberately didn't take any the last couple of nights as don't want to become reliant or addicted to them. i am once again going to get in to talk to psychologist but pretty much know I can't, my gp doesn't work today. Many advise please???

Matai88 Panic attacks when taking care of dogs
  • replies: 6

I'm new here and have an issue I hope I can get some advice on. I love dogs. I've been around them all my life. Dad had hunting dogs, some were pets, friends I lived with for years had 4 spaniels. I've wanted to get my own dog since I was a child and... View more

I'm new here and have an issue I hope I can get some advice on. I love dogs. I've been around them all my life. Dad had hunting dogs, some were pets, friends I lived with for years had 4 spaniels. I've wanted to get my own dog since I was a child and for the first time ever that is now a possibility. I regularly volunteer at a breed specific shelter. I'm out of the house Mon-Fri, 7:30am-5:30pm, you can't really leave a pup alone so decided to get an adult dog. I rent a small house my fiance, we do hope to buy a house in the next couple of years. So recently we took on a female kelpie x on a trial. She was house trained but very timid and quiet. For some reason after 3 days with her I started having panic attacks. At first I thought I was just nervous and overwhelmed, but the panic attacks increased in duration and intensity. After 2 days of this I couldn't eat or sleep, I was wreck and not getting any better despite doing all I could to calm myself. We made the decision to return the dog to the lady who was rehoming her (a foster/rehoming service, not a shelter). I thought maybe it was just that the dog was so scared of everything and I didn't know how to train her. Maybe she just wasn't the right dog for me. I went to see a hypnotherapist for a few weeks and got treatment. I came out feeling confident and over the issues I thought I had. I decided that while we are renting it might be better to try fostering dogs, that way we won't have a dog all the time, there is more flexibility and 24/7 support with the dog and it's doing a good deed. On Sunday I picked up my first foster (from the same lady). This dog was lovely, very quiet, well trained and very obedient. I got her home and prepared myself for a few weeks of taking care of her. The panic attacks returned within hours. I couldn't eat all of Sunday, sleep at all that night and missed work on Monday. The lady running the foster service suggested I bring her back as I wasn't coping and it could effect the dog negatively. I'm devastated. I've battled depression for 14 yrs and anxiety for 4. I generally only have panic attacks in situations involving speed or extreme motion (due to getting motion sickness) but now it seems I have them when faced with taking care of dogs full time, or anything on top of my day to day life/responsibilities. I'm fine at the shelter on weekends and have great joy in my time there. I'm now put off owning a dog and absolutely heartbroken. What should I do?

tim41 Sleeping problems
  • replies: 8

Hi, Me again, I was wondering if anybody can help/advise etc, I'm having problems sleeping I'm having a difficult time at work and have a lot going on, further have had some family problems with ill health in the last few months, its nearly like I'm ... View more

Hi, Me again, I was wondering if anybody can help/advise etc, I'm having problems sleeping I'm having a difficult time at work and have a lot going on, further have had some family problems with ill health in the last few months, its nearly like I'm scared when nightfall's as it will get closer to bedtime and it reminds me of how bad I will feel the next morning with little or no sleep, I'm sleeping in the other room from my girlfriend so she can get a good nites sleep also, I'm trying all sorts of sleeping tablets to which I can buy from the chemist, it really is getting me down and I dont want to plan anything as I cannot gauge how I will feel about it when it comes to it, this morning I told my boss I would have to work from home as I have went 2 nites with little or no sleep, I believe I do have some aniexty issues due to work stress and my family ill health issue, but I just cant really put a finger on the real problem, I'm writing this from my home office and its so difficult to keep going when I feel so tired and agitated all the time by not having a goods nites sleep, I'm really hopeful somebody can help me, thanks in advance for any help anybody can give me

Stephanie3 Obsessive thoughts
  • replies: 4

I have been suffering with anxiety and depression for the last 2 1/2 years, I have been on medication and have recently changed ( 1 week ago ) I am trying to battle these constant thoughts in my head. Everything that I do is a struggle. i have a majo... View more

I have been suffering with anxiety and depression for the last 2 1/2 years, I have been on medication and have recently changed ( 1 week ago ) I am trying to battle these constant thoughts in my head. Everything that I do is a struggle. i have a major fear of passing out, I don't know why it scares me so much. It's constant in every thing that I do, I find it hard to do most things without having that thought in my head.I am taking medication at the moment and hoping that it kicks in soon! My panic attacks have lessened which is great but the constant shakes from inside and foggy eyes and anxiety especially in the mornings still hasn't gone! Has anyone else experienced these feelings???

Cornstarch Is there a rat model for 'stuffed'?
  • replies: 3

I don't fit into any of the health professionals neat little boxes so I posed this question to them. I did not receive an answer as such. I am not depressed I am 'stuffed'. How do you replenish your Qi when you were raised inside of a narcissistic wa... View more

I don't fit into any of the health professionals neat little boxes so I posed this question to them. I did not receive an answer as such. I am not depressed I am 'stuffed'. How do you replenish your Qi when you were raised inside of a narcissistic washing machine, head jam, but you still have the puppy to look after on the Sorbent ad? And you haven't started discussing your own needs/wants in life yet.....

WoozieSuzie Anxiety triggered by a family Facebook group
  • replies: 5

Hi there, i am new to this but have reached out as my anxiety has been quite severed for a few weeks now. My anxiety commenced when I was included in a relatives personal family Facebook group - which was well meaning of them, they wanted me included... View more

Hi there, i am new to this but have reached out as my anxiety has been quite severed for a few weeks now. My anxiety commenced when I was included in a relatives personal family Facebook group - which was well meaning of them, they wanted me included. The problem is they obviously like to boast about the best part of their day and it gets quite over-the-top! They all gush and go on and on about how wonderful they all are and it's almost mildly nauseating! Recently there have been new babies born (which is wonderful) and of course they share every single moment-good on them, I would too, but it's triggering quite severe anxiety for me.....I feel like I simply cannot compete with all this constant excitement and joy and I go through stages of not looking at the page and then feeling guilty, like I should be happy for them, and join in. When I do join in I feel like I am either ignored (comments left but no response) or on occasions ridiculed (my husband thought they were mocking me the other day). Sometimes I write things and its ok though. They have been part of my life forever and I do love them all very much, but I feel like I am in a competition which I can't win, or I feel like they just have another person to "show off to" so they like having me online. If I leave they will wonder why (and I can't tell them the real reason as they would think I'm crazy). I don't think they have any ill-will towards me, I think they genuinely want me to feel included. What I want to do is cope with this in a mature way, not like a jealous teenager.... Trouble is, my anxiety is affected. Has anyone had a similar experience please?

amssy I want to be someone I'm not, I don't like who I am.

You never forget when someone comments on the way you look, because in a lot of ways, they are things you cannot change. Yes, you can lose weight, but it can also be a very long, slow process and there are often a lot of underlying emotional or physi... View more

You never forget when someone comments on the way you look, because in a lot of ways, they are things you cannot change. Yes, you can lose weight, but it can also be a very long, slow process and there are often a lot of underlying emotional or physical issues behind why you became overweight in the first place. So when someone calls you ugly, or fat, or gross it cuts deep and scars you forever, especially when it's from someone you care about. These things are not things that can be changed overnight and everytime you look in the mirror you are reminded of those cruel words. My biggest fear of being a victim of fat shaming is how it can then cause you to be the victim of your OWN fat shaming because of the guilt that subsides from it and can literally eat you alive just by eating the 'unhealthy' option. A lot of thought, pressure, and dedication goes into losing weight, and even your achievements can be unraveled in a second by someone saying the wrong thing, whether on purpose or by accident, people's comments/insults can consume you and it's exhausting. I get so tired and I know I'm not the only one, and I get so scared of losing myself in wanting to be someone I'm not even sure I want to be?

Rod_NR93 Separating and OCD

Hi all, this is a difficult post to write. I actually don't want to write it. My wife and I are separating (her choice) and I have OCD. Dealing with one is hard enough; having to deal with both feels like hell. The reason for separation is complicate... View more

Hi all, this is a difficult post to write. I actually don't want to write it. My wife and I are separating (her choice) and I have OCD. Dealing with one is hard enough; having to deal with both feels like hell. The reason for separation is complicated. My health is part of the problem. Living in a blended family is another. There are things about my wife that I found difficult to cope with also. I have been working closely with my psychologist over the past 15 months on my OCD and he think's I'm making slow progress, which is only to be expected given how long I've had entrenched anxiety. This is the hard bit to confess; what I obsess about. It's my vision. I have those dark shadowy things that most if not all people have in their eyes (tiny clumps of protein I think) called floaters. I've had them for years but they have been an obsession for me on an off for the past 20+ years. I cannot stop thinking about them and they have become a phobia. I'm scared to look at bright surfaces. I feel a compulsion to test how 'bad' they are. I've been checked countless times by ophthalmologists and optometrists, all who have said I'm fine and normal. I wonder though how I can possibly see properly with all the shadows moving across my vision, even though I know the brain can tune them out to the point the effectively don't exist. I just can't stop noticing them though and they often cause me severe anxiety, particularly when I am under stress. Right now I'm not under stress. I'm going through hell because I'm losing my wife, who was also my best friend, my confidant, and my soulmate. I'm going to have to move into another house and I fear the obsessive noticing of these floaters in what will be an alien environment. I obsess about how bright it will be, how I will cope alone, whether all this grief and trauma will undo the slow progress I had made in therapy. It comes down to this. Not only am I grieving the loss of my marriage; I'm also having to deal with the latest ensuing OCD offensive. For those of you who have experienced a marriage breakdown, you know the pain. It's amongst the worst pain you can imagine. Thanks