Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

rpo_77 Anxiety and living authentically
  • replies: 8

So a bit of background about me first: I'm currently training to be a professional classical musician. Before I started training as a classical musician, I actually completed a degree in a different field, although it was also a creative field. Durin... View more

So a bit of background about me first: I'm currently training to be a professional classical musician. Before I started training as a classical musician, I actually completed a degree in a different field, although it was also a creative field. During my first degree, music was more of a hobby for me, something that I did because it was fun and I got to meet new people, and I enjoyed creating music. A teacher of mine suggested I audition for a classical degree at a tertiary institution since they thought I was pretty good, and I took their suggestion seriously. A year later I auditioned and was accepted to study classical music at a tertiary level. I've been training there for three years now, and in my second and third years of study I have been referred to a psychologist for anxiety and depression and I have undergone therapy. I've also been placed on beta blockers to help manage my anxiety in everyday life and in performance situations. I still have one year left to go of this degree, but I can't wait to finish. A large part of my anxiety comes from whether I actually want to continue pursuing a career in this field, or whether I want retrain in something else. My problem is, I don't think I can clearly make decisions, and I can't really tell whether my values and beliefs are my own or whether they are based on what I think other people will think. I can't tell what is real and what I genuinely believe anymore, and what things I believe because I have been told to believe them by other people. How can I tell whether I actually enjoy this line of work, or whether I am just doing it because I think other people think that it is impressive? I tried doing an exercise in finding my core values, and the first question was 'name your three greatest achievements' and I couldn't answer it by myself, and felt that I needed someone else to tell me what my achievements have been. This made me feel like I'm definitely not living my life under my own terms. I guess my question is, does anyone have any tips on how to ascertain what your TRUE values are, and what your TRUE beliefs are? How do I know whether something I feel is real as opposed to something that I have told myself to believe?

jon1 please help
  • replies: 4

hi I have the worst case of anxiety and fear I have just quit my well paid job because I cannot face going there I would wake with a massive fear of going to work. I have just got a new job but iam having fear of going to the new job I have a huge lo... View more

hi I have the worst case of anxiety and fear I have just quit my well paid job because I cannot face going there I would wake with a massive fear of going to work. I have just got a new job but iam having fear of going to the new job I have a huge loan of $700,000 on house and business and the business is not making money and I fear I will loose everything please can someone advise I am in a desperate state of mind

jade19 Anxiety is ruining my life.
  • replies: 5

In the past I have suffered from extreme depression and anxiety/social anxiety (social anxiety since I was little). I went through a horrible stage last year where my anxiety and panic attacks were affecting my ability to do anything, mainly go to wo... View more

In the past I have suffered from extreme depression and anxiety/social anxiety (social anxiety since I was little). I went through a horrible stage last year where my anxiety and panic attacks were affecting my ability to do anything, mainly go to work. I got support and help, taking medication etc. It helped. I was at my job for over 8 years, and decided it was time to move on to something different. And now I cannot stand my new job, it's horrible. I've applied for so many jobs, and nothing - even asked for my old job back. Everyday I go there my stomach is just in knots. Recently I have been extremely sick, vomiting, nausea, migraines, and it won't stop (also not pregnant). And I'm pretty sure it's my anxiety about this job that's making me so sick. People I talk to about it just say, 'Stick it out, it'll get better', 'Just stay positive, don't think negative' etc. I know they mean well, but I can't just change my mindset when everyday this job is just making mg anxiety worse. I also just moved to a different suburb (I'm used to being close to my mum, now I'm living far away from her) to be closer to my partners parents as they have health issues and we want to be closer. But the house we are renting doesn't feel right, I don't feel at home and our lease isn't up until July. im so sick of feeling this way and having no one to turn to. I feel like I'm out of options. any advise? -jade

Beyondbe Holiday panic.attack. fly drive or not go?
  • replies: 8

Hi all, My main panic attack trigger if feeling trapped and not being able to escape the situation if needed to I struggle with pretty much all transport. My partners family are going to QLD in jan for a couple of weeks. Some people are flying and in... View more

Hi all, My main panic attack trigger if feeling trapped and not being able to escape the situation if needed to I struggle with pretty much all transport. My partners family are going to QLD in jan for a couple of weeks. Some people are flying and in laws are driving. it's melb to qld. Would like to go but transport is my main panic attack trigger and not sure I'll cope with the plane or long car trip. I'm worried I'll panic and feel out of control/cause a scene.. and then there's the fact that if I get there I still have to travel home again. I'm usually fine in the car when it's only my partner and myself and I don't feel trapped as I know we could pull over or turn around and go home if we wanted to. If we were to drive it would be in the inlaws car as everyone could share driving and petrol costs etc and our cars not super reliable anyway but I don't want to ruin or negatively effect there holiday by panicking on the way and needing toto pull over etc. We are considering not going but what would you do? any advice?

Bec2335 Anxiety and medications
  • replies: 2

Hi everyone- I was hoping to connect with others in a similar position maybe get a different prospective on things. My story- I was a victim of domestic violence and after leaving a few years ago now, I began having extreme anxiety issues. I felt lik... View more

Hi everyone- I was hoping to connect with others in a similar position maybe get a different prospective on things. My story- I was a victim of domestic violence and after leaving a few years ago now, I began having extreme anxiety issues. I felt like I had lost all control which was making me considerably depressed and i was avoiding all social interactions. My group of friends in now almost nonexistent because of it. I have since found an absolutely amazing man who has been a heaven sent for my kids and I. He gave me the love and support I needed to get to the GP and deal with my symptoms, after witnessing one of my episodes first hand (I had kept how I was feeling a secret- not a good thing, i know but its now out in the open). Anyway, GP put me on medication which was amazing at first. However, 8 months later i feel like i have just stuck a band-aid over the wound not to mention the fact that my libido has become absoluely non existent thus putting a strain on my relationship. I would like to be drug free and i would like to deal with my symptoms in a more natural way- i just dont know where to start. i would really appreciate any input

Traveller73 Thankyou, my story
  • replies: 1

Hi, when I first joined this online forum over a year ago, I had a bad case of anxiety over an upcoming event I was worried sick over. I had terrible symptoms, lightheadedness, headaches and a rapid heart rate. My usual methods of cognitive behav the... View more

Hi, when I first joined this online forum over a year ago, I had a bad case of anxiety over an upcoming event I was worried sick over. I had terrible symptoms, lightheadedness, headaches and a rapid heart rate. My usual methods of cognitive behav therapy did not help with totally irrational thoughts. What did help was deep breathing, relaxation tapes, distraction and most importantly of then all -mindfulness. I was almost driven to medication, i made it to the phamacist counter- but I just couldn't do it (worried about side effects, dependency) so Ijust continued with mindfulness. The stressful anticipated event passed, which went by without a hitch, and I calmed down immensely. However lifes worries often bring the anxiety back. I know what it is now (some comfort), and how to deal with it. Also not all worry management the same- the cognitive behav therapy works with logical worries. The anxiety still comes back but it is more manageable. I just wanted to say a big thankyou to all you forum posters when I went through a difficukt time and had not many people who understood. Also to the people going through it, i can definately recommend the book 'The HappinessTrap' which despite its name is all about mindfulness and living with anxiety. I have also since been open about my experiences with other mums from school and am totally surprised how much lack of knowledge and stigma there is about this subject. One mum i spoke to for over an hour had no idea how to deal with her worries and knew little about anxiety (i directed her to this website) Good luck and best wishes to all, hang in there, try to do something tranquil every day. Lastly someone once commented there were not enough success stories on here, so please count this as one. ​

Seekparadise Anxiety manifesting physically?
  • replies: 6

I have never been diagnosed with anxiety before but over my life there have been several things that have triggered me to feel exceptionally anxious to the point of what I would describe as a panic attack such as having bugs in my house and public sp... View more

I have never been diagnosed with anxiety before but over my life there have been several things that have triggered me to feel exceptionally anxious to the point of what I would describe as a panic attack such as having bugs in my house and public speaking. I've also generally been exceptionally nervous when it comes to social situations. Recently I started a new job. It was great for a few weeks but I'm a few months in and I'm starting to feel horrible. It's a sales job and it's stressful and I find myself dreading going even in the days leading up to a shift. When I do go, I've found myself vomiting on my way there and when I'm at work. I've been the doc for it + other symptoms like acid reflux and I'm on medication for that. But I'm still vomiting. I realised it only happens when I'm on my way to work. Lately I've been feeling horrible all the time. I feel sick to my stomach, exhausted. I'm not thinking anything in particular, not pre empting situations or thinking negative thoughts, but I feel worried all the time and I'm starting to feel unsettled like I used to, feeling like I'm clenching up all the time. I've had a long history of nausea and vomiting and stomach issues and I'm starting to wonder if all along this has been tied to anxiety.. doctors have never found anything physically wrong with me. I'm seeing Headspace next week and my doctor has me on a mental health care plan. but I'm just wondering if anyone else has anxiety that manifests in physical health symptoms. Like stomach aches, vomiting, nausea? Fatigue? I'm wondering if anxiety is causing it?

Wheatbeltboy Can someone PLEASE tell me this is just anxiety?
  • replies: 10

Hi all. I have had about 12 years of depression and anxiety that all started from a meltdown one night, and since then every few years I will have a meltdown. When this happens usually a thought or fear will trigger it and it has been from thoughts s... View more

Hi all. I have had about 12 years of depression and anxiety that all started from a meltdown one night, and since then every few years I will have a meltdown. When this happens usually a thought or fear will trigger it and it has been from thoughts such as, "did I just hear a voice", "am I going to go crazy and end up in a Psyche ward", or "did that guy just stare at me because he thinks I'm gay"? I have learnt that over time I get better, but I have now been in this dark place for 3 weeks now and I'm worried that this time I won't be able to crawl out of it! I am on medication for the depression/anxiety and generally I am really well, I just get too complacent I think and start burning the candle at both ends and end up back here. I would really love to hear that this is normal and I'm not developing Schizophrenia or something similar. If anyone else out there experiences this it would be great to hear from you.

qwebnm can music cause anxiety?
  • replies: 14

Hey guys I've searched up online if music can cause anxiety but the answer seems to be no, in fact it can lower anxiety according to my research. I've been listening to music most of my life and usually I listen to the same songs over and over again ... View more

Hey guys I've searched up online if music can cause anxiety but the answer seems to be no, in fact it can lower anxiety according to my research. I've been listening to music most of my life and usually I listen to the same songs over and over again because I'm bored. However there have been moments where I've found a new song and loved it and am in a state of trance and bliss and I've listened to the song constantly over a few days until it gets boring as well.. Recently I've noticed that all the Times I've experienced extreme anxiety I had found a new song which I loved a few days earlier. My guess is that the music causes chemical imbalances? Due to my personal experiences I strongly believe music causes me anxiety but since there is no scientific evidence to support this I feel like I'm just being silly by avoiding music

lucie-lu Anxiety
  • replies: 3

Hi Everyone I feel like i just need to say anxiety really sucks. I have been suffering with different types of anxiety for about 10 years now. and it certainly has been a roller coaster. I have had some big changes in my life this year and im about t... View more

Hi Everyone I feel like i just need to say anxiety really sucks. I have been suffering with different types of anxiety for about 10 years now. and it certainly has been a roller coaster. I have had some big changes in my life this year and im about to endure another life changing situation. I'm trying to look at this with a positive mind set a fresh start but my friend anxiety is making this an extremely difficult. I currently see a psychologist and use medication to help with my anxiety. coming into this next year i will be moving away to a rural location and will no longer have the same access that i have in the city. I find this terrifying especially not knowing how my anxiety will go with it. I have been reading posts on here for some time and find that this is such a supportive community and thought that i would give it ago. Sorry that my post is a bit all over the place. But i look forward to conversing with you all. Thanks