Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Nervybella New job, renewed anxiety
  • replies: 21

Hi everyone, I'm recently graduated and landed my first ever full time job, so I should be over the moon right? Well I'm not. To give some background my training school helps students look for employment (which happened to me). The school warned me b... View more

Hi everyone, I'm recently graduated and landed my first ever full time job, so I should be over the moon right? Well I'm not. To give some background my training school helps students look for employment (which happened to me). The school warned me before this interview that the boss was notoriously hard to work for. I went ahead to the interview not feeling confident and two days later I was told I had the job. I was apprehensive from the get go and since starting my anxiety has reached new levels. Without going into too much detail there has been a number of occasions in my first week that have left me feeling anxious and embarrassed. I've come home crying every night and my partner says I should quit. Part of me sides with him because I don't think it's normal to feel so strongly, and also not fair on myself or my family to see me like this. At the same time I feel like such a failure because I can't seem to stick with anything I start because of my anxiety. I hate that I'm stressing my family out as well. Also if I quit then what do I do, sure it will probably alleviate my anxiety but who says it won't return when I get another job. i think I just need to hear from some people that don't know me and aren't emotionally invested in my story. I would love your opinion and hear of similar stories

To_be_FREE I'm having a panic attack now
  • replies: 5

So I'm coming to the end of a rather horrible panic attack. I was playing tag with the kids outside then, bam, just starts. I have no idea what started it off, why does it just happen, it just makes me feel so down, I do all the things, don't fight i... View more

So I'm coming to the end of a rather horrible panic attack. I was playing tag with the kids outside then, bam, just starts. I have no idea what started it off, why does it just happen, it just makes me feel so down, I do all the things, don't fight it, remind myself I won't die etc... Now I'm sitting here, nauseous, dizzy, tired and so over it. I just want to stop the panic and anxiety

Courtz_45 Anxiety Attacks - Appetite related?
  • replies: 2

Hi, For the past few weeks I've experienced out of blue anxiety attacks but the last I'd say 3-4 days they have gotten worse, and longer. I find that it takes me quite sometime to calm down. I get a racing heart, cold and clammy hands and feet, and m... View more

Hi, For the past few weeks I've experienced out of blue anxiety attacks but the last I'd say 3-4 days they have gotten worse, and longer. I find that it takes me quite sometime to calm down. I get a racing heart, cold and clammy hands and feet, and my chest becomes tight and painful. I started medication yesterday so I know that won't kick in for another week or two, and I'm waiting for the psychologist clinic to call me with an appointment. I try really hard to remain stress free about everything, but weirdly past few days attacks come on lightly then go, however few hours later I have a massive one. I'm honestly thinking it's food related with me not really eating anything due to not being hungry. But I can drink litres of water just fine. Would love some advice, tips about anxiety or even how to increase my appetite. Or even to just be reassured I'm not the only one as times like these we think it's just ourselves going through it. Also I've had numerous tests, ecgs, heart monitor worn to confirm my hearts healthy. Thanks in advance!

_PerthGirl_ Missing another friend's birthday :(
  • replies: 3

I feel so guilty that yet again I'm wimping out of going to a friend's birthday celebrations. I felt so sick earlier and I realised I do just about every Saturday - its too much of a coincidence to get an upset stomach each and every time I'm suppose... View more

I feel so guilty that yet again I'm wimping out of going to a friend's birthday celebrations. I felt so sick earlier and I realised I do just about every Saturday - its too much of a coincidence to get an upset stomach each and every time I'm supposed to be getting dolled up and heading out. I dawdled getting ready hovering between hoping I would either feel so much worse that the decision would be made for me and I would be able to honestly say I was too ill to go or hoping I could feel better and care free and just get on with it and go. Well its hardly worth going now I'm already two hours late!!!

Spearmint Social Anxiety
  • replies: 3

Hi, Late last year was very rough with the death of my brother and then my boyfriend left me (6 year relationship) a month later. It left me completely broken and devastated. I've made a lot of hard earned progress but I'm still not 100%. I have to f... View more

Hi, Late last year was very rough with the death of my brother and then my boyfriend left me (6 year relationship) a month later. It left me completely broken and devastated. I've made a lot of hard earned progress but I'm still not 100%. I have to find employment but am struggling with bad social anxiety which is really holding me back. I also have this fear that if I get a job interview and the employer asks why I haven't been working or what I've been doing since my last job, I really don't want to talk about the fact that I was a huge mess because my life fell apart, I don't know what to say to fill in my unemployment gap? Any advice on how I could handle that kind of question and if anyone has solutions or helpful advice on dealing with social anxiety would be great and much appreciated. Thanks

Quintus Workplace Anxiety
  • replies: 5

Hello everyone. Just wanted to put this out there before I change my mind. I’ve been affected by anxiety for a long time, very long. I normally don’t mind, even though it makes me a completely reserved person. Very private. I don’t talk to anyone, ha... View more

Hello everyone. Just wanted to put this out there before I change my mind. I’ve been affected by anxiety for a long time, very long. I normally don’t mind, even though it makes me a completely reserved person. Very private. I don’t talk to anyone, haven’t had a meaningful relationship in years, I don’t celebrate Christmas, birthdays, etc. I have learnt to accept it – and live like this. The problem that I have however is that at work, I have to deal with these scenarios and it’s getting me in trouble. I can’t do social outings, I don’t do team bonding events and management have now presented me with a letter warning me that my job is in jeopardy if I don’t start abiding by these values. I am praised for the work that I do “they couldn’t be happier” – however my values/team interest is not aligned apparently. Regardless of how I bad feel in these situations (sweaty, shy, embarrassed, uncomfortable, mocked, stared at, etc etc) I try to attend – but I just can’t do it on some of these, I’m getting to the point of tears when I’m even questioned about it. I keep telling management “I’m just uncomfortable in these situations”, but they keep insisting that’s not good enough of an excuse. Again just to be clear, I don’t blame my work or managers. It’s my burden to bare, not theirs. So I guess what I’m trying to ask is: Would anyone know how I go about fixing these things? Or at least how do I communicate that it’s “Me” not them – so they don’t take offence ? I don’t mean to be but I guess I give that impression. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all.

Hope_for_Future Feeling really anxious and worried all the time
  • replies: 1

I have been feeling really anxious the last few weeks. I am 50 , married with two children in their early 20s. They are at uni one of them is worrying me a lot she goes out until all hours and is doing no uni work at all missing lectures etc I am wor... View more

I have been feeling really anxious the last few weeks. I am 50 , married with two children in their early 20s. They are at uni one of them is worrying me a lot she goes out until all hours and is doing no uni work at all missing lectures etc I am worrying obsessively about her and that something is going to happen to her. If you look at my life I seem fine and nobody would know that I feel anxious all the time , I can't concentrate at work and feel like I am all over the place. I wake up with a sick feeling in my stomach and it stays with me all day. I feel really tired all the time and am not really interested in doing anything. I feel that I have no enjoyment in my life. Any ideas or anyone else in a similar position?

AnonymousLass Anxiety issues while at work - Avoidant and scared that I will quit
  • replies: 7

Background: I've had anxiety and depression my entire life. Based on biological and environmental factors. I was officially diagnosed in 2013 by a psychologist and psychiatrist. At the moment I am on medication to manage my anxiety and depression and... View more

Background: I've had anxiety and depression my entire life. Based on biological and environmental factors. I was officially diagnosed in 2013 by a psychologist and psychiatrist. At the moment I am on medication to manage my anxiety and depression and have been on the drug for over a year now. In 2015 I quit two jobs over anxiety, in 2016 I quit a fantastic position after not even lasting a week. Now I've applied and attempted to start work again and have been for the past month and few days. Last Friday I left work early because of building anxiety and overwhelming feelings. I went into full panic attack and cried in a stairwell for about an hour until I packed my things and left for home. Today, I got a call at 7:55 am from my brother waking me up - I start work at 8 am. I subsequently called in sick because I couldn't face it. I am becoming avoidant and my job is causing intense anxiety, stress and subsequently depression as an after fact of the anxiety. I feel I am avoidant of anything that causes my anxiety to come to life and I am using drugs as a coping mechanism which has left me even more emotional, loopy, forgetful and blurry. I saw my psychologist for the first time in a year and a half yesterday and have instructed my mother to drive me to my sessions so I don't flake and cancel last minute as I have this habit when I have to face situations I don't want to. I am at wits end and am not in a financial situation to be able to quit work yet this idea has no deterred me from missing work days. How do I learn to cope? How do I stop the avoidance? When will this end..

AnxSam Leaving work....
  • replies: 9

Hi Guys, first time ever posting here so I'm a little overwhelmed with thoughts running through my head, so here it goes. Ok, so I've decided to resign from my current place of employment because it gives me really bad depression, anxiety and a gener... View more

Hi Guys, first time ever posting here so I'm a little overwhelmed with thoughts running through my head, so here it goes. Ok, so I've decided to resign from my current place of employment because it gives me really bad depression, anxiety and a generally negative outlook on life. I work in government and the type of work I do does not suit my passion as I feel out of place, I don't get the support from my fellow peer and not to mention abuse from customers. What made it difficult leaving was a family member helped me get the job originally, but it turned out to be nothing like the job described, so for almost 2 years I've been going to work so stressed, sad and generally very uneasy at a workplace that has affected my mentality so much fearing if I quit I'll disappoint them or the family because she wants me to explore the organisation. Where as i really just do not want to be working within that department at all. SO!! just recently I managed to 'man up' and decide for myself to leave. I've booked a trip with my partner for overseas to help get me back on track and spend quality time together. I have mentioned management (Just a team leader) I intend on going whether they approve leave or not. BUT I very much would rather quit on good enough terms and pursue a new career elsewhere where. I have almost 3 months before I leave... should I feel guilty about leaving or use these last few weeks planning and seeing where my life takes me, in an exciting way?

Trish_M Anxiety symptoms.
  • replies: 1

I've suffered various episodes of depression over a long period of time, each time dealt with by antidepressants. I am 61 years old. I saw a psychiatrist for the first time about 8 months ago and he says I have probably always suffered anxiety. Certa... View more

I've suffered various episodes of depression over a long period of time, each time dealt with by antidepressants. I am 61 years old. I saw a psychiatrist for the first time about 8 months ago and he says I have probably always suffered anxiety. Certainly I didn't grow up in a supportive family and always felt on my own. I am a competent, hard working person though and have managed to function and achieve. I have been described as looking like a duck.....appearing to look ok whilst underneath the water there is plentyof peddling going on to remain afloat. Over time, and I'm talking decades because it became more entrenched, to avoid the intense physical symptom of anxiety, I have withdrawn, avoided and fled from people and situations. Medication has been adjusted and CBT started. I am now with guidance, slowly facing, dealing with, confronting the people and situations I need to have a fully functioning life. I have placed myself in harms way so to speak which initially has resulted in an escalation of physical symptoms like racing heart rate, shaking, tightness in chest. Where I used to flee, I now face what I once avoided and risk people noticing my symptoms or reacting negatively to my point of view. I guess I've faced quite a few really challenging situations in the last 4 months or so. Is it normal to feel terribly exhausted after each of these encounters? Also, is it likely that dealing with extreme anxiety by facing instead of running from fears has a physical toll on the body making it susceptible to infection or viruses? I've noticed too, that because I am making a concerted effort to face life instead of fleeing, my physical anxiety symptoms seem exaggerated or intensified. Will these reduce over time? It's so hard to live with the shaking, pounding heart, chest pain, etc Any help or thoughts appreciated. Trish M.