Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Andy999 Finding it hard to cope
  • replies: 2

Heey im looking for some advice on my anxiety and depression. ive just had my 21st birthday and kind of struggling to enjoy this time of my life, my anxiety and depression has really peaked recently and i just dont know what to do anymore. it started... View more

Heey im looking for some advice on my anxiety and depression. ive just had my 21st birthday and kind of struggling to enjoy this time of my life, my anxiety and depression has really peaked recently and i just dont know what to do anymore. it started just over 3 years ago after using some drug which i believe triggered my anxiety, it just hit me out of nowhere. the next morning i woke up a different person and soon learnt that it was anxiety. Ever since ive gone through some good periods and some very bad. I was hoping through time it would pass but it just hasn't been the case, just over 6 months ago the insomnia started and this did really make my anxiety 10x worse and made me really depressed, i decided it was time to seek help straight away, i was seeing a psychologist which i did find useful but at the same time did make things a little harder for me i guess with the confusion of if i was doing it right and constantly having my anxiety on my mind. It wasnt until the following weeks/months after i stopped visting my psychologist that i started feeling my best, all those little worries and unexplained on edge feeling were almost gone, i was still far from where i wanted be but really heading in the right direction! considering how good i was feeling i decided to go on a holiday with a few friends just recently, i was having the time of my life until halfway through i had a really bad and completely unprovoked panic attack, since then things havnt been good, all that constant worrying and shitty thoughts have come back, it just takes to long to get into depth on all the symptons im feeling but its all becoming almost unbearable, ive been really miserable and starting to think medication is my last hope, i was hoping someone might have some advice on medication or if they think i should continue trying without thanks

Fairywings Ocd with odd numbers
  • replies: 4

Ok this may seem odd but been this way for as long as I can remember. And hubby brought this to my attention tonight as I was crunching figures like I always do every fortnight. I have a thing where if I see an odd number sitting in the balance of my... View more

Ok this may seem odd but been this way for as long as I can remember. And hubby brought this to my attention tonight as I was crunching figures like I always do every fortnight. I have a thing where if I see an odd number sitting in the balance of my bank account I have to round it off whether it be in relation to the minus or the positive figures. Has never crossed my mind to see it as an obsession until tonight how blind am I xx Am I the only one who does this? Love to get people's thoughts on this

Lola_M Confused by these anxious feelings
  • replies: 6

Hi. About a month ago I awoke with constant adrenaline surges in my belly and severe anxiety. The surges are gone but I am left with constany nervousness, anxiety and butterflies in my belly - it's all contained there. Those feelings intensify when I... View more

Hi. About a month ago I awoke with constant adrenaline surges in my belly and severe anxiety. The surges are gone but I am left with constany nervousness, anxiety and butterflies in my belly - it's all contained there. Those feelings intensify when I think about anything, whether it is a good, bad or neutral thought. I can be picturing myself in my favourite place and the anxiety comes up. I'm puzzled by this as I don't have anxious thoughts generally but now everything I think about brings those anxious and nervous feelings. It's peculiar and I'm not sure that many people experience this, which adds to my distress. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

JJ_ What is this? Help
  • replies: 5

Hey, I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder 4 years ago but have been living with anxiety for over 6 years. In the last couple of months I've been feeling very agitated over silly little things and I don't know if it's anxiety or if I should get re asse... View more

Hey, I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder 4 years ago but have been living with anxiety for over 6 years. In the last couple of months I've been feeling very agitated over silly little things and I don't know if it's anxiety or if I should get re assessed ? Here's a list of things that has been happening: -Moving objects untill it feels "just right" and satisfying making the agitation go away. - repeating a noise, movement untill it feels just right, eg. Breathing, sounds, touching objects. - cleaning hands after touching doors, kitchen towels, sponges, etc and cleaning hands untill it feels "just right" - feeling the need to close every sliding door in my house so it feels "good" to know it's in the "right place" -I get random violent thoughts (about hurting people) I know this is quiet normal for the average population but idk if i should mention.? these things didn't bother me untill I couldn't complete the tasks and agitated me so much I cry out of frustration. If anyone has any answers please help

Makeitgoaway FIFO Intense anxiety

Im not really sure how this all works as i just joined. I have been struggling with anxiety for a year and a half now. I never even knew what it was and how it can rip your life apart but i can see by looking back in my life now that i have had it al... View more

Im not really sure how this all works as i just joined. I have been struggling with anxiety for a year and a half now. I never even knew what it was and how it can rip your life apart but i can see by looking back in my life now that i have had it all along but very very mildly. Now it is obviously acute. It all started when my second child reached one and a half, my other child was 4 and my partner worked away in the mines. One day it was just like 'click' intense anxiety out of no where. Within 4 weeks i was having panic attacks everyday. Off to drs, hospital etc and dropped so much weight i was just a skeleton. People that havent experienced this have no idea how lucky they are. My man had to quit his job and we almost lost our house due to no income. After working very hard with councilling, yoga, mindfulness i got off the horrible medication i was on and had manageable anxiety. Still definitely there but could live a relatively normal life. So now my partner had returned to work and has been gone only 2 weeks and i can feel my switch has clicked back on and i am terrified of what may come. I guess am looking for advice for things that have worked for other people, other peoples similar stories etc Giving up mining is not a financial option atm. I am considering moving to a mining town so the family can be together. Just not sure how the isolated dirt environment will affect my mental health. Being separated is obviously not doing much good for my health as it is. Living in a city may be a busy social place but i withdraw without him.

humbleb My journey with ... anxiety?
  • replies: 11

Hi everybody.. i just joined here today. I am hoping to find some understanding from people who also suffer and... is this really just from stress? Anxiety? Mental and nervous system? i have had anxiety for 8 years.. moved to big city and had series ... View more

Hi everybody.. i just joined here today. I am hoping to find some understanding from people who also suffer and... is this really just from stress? Anxiety? Mental and nervous system? i have had anxiety for 8 years.. moved to big city and had series of panic attacks every year or 2. In the beginning it was confusing but came to understand that it was anxiety/panic disorder. Symptoms were as normal.. beating heart, intense fear, can't breathe, chest pains. each series of attacks were different with symptoms varying. Now this is where I'm very confused now. In November I had my series of attacks again. Was not heart or pains so much but, a full rush of blood or adrenaline shooting around my body.. mainly arms/chest area. And then panic. Even felt this hard hitting dizziness like bang hit my head and a nearly fall down.. this time I've gone 'right' it's time to fix this once and for all, I can't go on like this. So I quick my 2 jobs and got on a hopeful path.. ( also 4 to 5 years prior were very stressful and have had a lot of worry) i contacted beyond blue who put me in touch with nsw mental health who referred me to an anxiety clinic. I could not get in for assessment for 2 months so I had a waiting period. In the meantime my gp put me on medication, during this period I had symptoms of panic and the blood rush/adrenalin feeling. Also noticeable was my ability to focus, memory loss, was really poor. Became more emotional. At times when it was bad it was hard to talk and I would be very slow. at the assessment I answered questions with my most recent symptoms and after 10 minutes I was declined treatment there. He said I don't suffer from anxiety. So I've left there really lost and confused and have been getting scans, blood tests, mri's trying to find myself. I'm now started seeing a psychologist. What I'd like is some understanding of my current symptoms and why I feel like I'm deteriorating.. i stopped the medication about a month ago... I always now feel very vague, like it's not real, reality is not as clear.. getting much less clear in my head, very strange feeling. Every 2 weeks this feeling intensifies and hits me suddenly and lasts for a few days with heavy head, very fatigued, I 'have to' sleep as it's the only way to stop it. All day. Some nerve pinches and pains. I've always had ringing in my years but it's quite strong consistently now. I wish write more.. so scared. Yesterday sitting quiet at cafe, then bang hits me so quick and have to home.

Dairymilk88 Constant crying/teariness

The past six months or so, I have noticed a big increase in my crying or teariness. I used to be the kind of person who barely let things upset them. Now I am constantly on the verge of tears if I get overwhelmed with something, and cry in privacy mo... View more

The past six months or so, I have noticed a big increase in my crying or teariness. I used to be the kind of person who barely let things upset them. Now I am constantly on the verge of tears if I get overwhelmed with something, and cry in privacy most days of the week... sometimes multiple times a day. I just don't feel like myself lately. I have just entered into a new relationship (he is nothing but brilliant and supportive) and started working full time in the last 12 months after graduating uni (also having doubts about my chosen career) I've never felt like this before. Needing some guidance on what this could be or what to do next.

TraceyTreacle Blank just blank
  • replies: 2

When anxiety has gotten the best of you - you get up you fall down you get up. I am so exhausted physically and emotionally that deciding whether to shower or not is an issue......... I feel blank and heavy

When anxiety has gotten the best of you - you get up you fall down you get up. I am so exhausted physically and emotionally that deciding whether to shower or not is an issue......... I feel blank and heavy

Lunasgirl Sick of anxiety symptoms
  • replies: 7

It seems like I get all sorts of anxiety symptoms which lead me to being really anxious that something is wrong with me. I'll just get used to one symptom and convince myself that it's just anxiety and then it goes away but then a new one just pops u... View more

It seems like I get all sorts of anxiety symptoms which lead me to being really anxious that something is wrong with me. I'll just get used to one symptom and convince myself that it's just anxiety and then it goes away but then a new one just pops up in its place and I have to start all over again with being anxious about it until I can convince myself that it's just anxiety again and calm down. Does anyone else get this?

FionaMac Anxiety is winning
  • replies: 4

Hi everyone. 22 years after being diagnosed with acute anxiety syndrome I hit the wall last night. I got to the point where I had to ring Lifeline - never even considered it before. The person I talked to was fantastic and stayed with me for almost 2... View more

Hi everyone. 22 years after being diagnosed with acute anxiety syndrome I hit the wall last night. I got to the point where I had to ring Lifeline - never even considered it before. The person I talked to was fantastic and stayed with me for almost 2 hours. Feeling frustrated and ashamed. I've tried to deal with it every way I know how. Tried medication years ago but it only worked for a short time - maybe the drugs are better now - I don't know. I also got sacked for admitting to my employer that I was on medication for it. Not sure where to go from here.