Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Guest_41 Panic attack out of the blue???
  • replies: 3

Hey everyone, I’ve posted here before about missed heartbeats and other strange symptoms I get. But tonight something strange happened... My partner and I had just finished washing up after dinner and I’d made myself a cup of chamomile tea. I went to... View more

Hey everyone, I’ve posted here before about missed heartbeats and other strange symptoms I get. But tonight something strange happened... My partner and I had just finished washing up after dinner and I’d made myself a cup of chamomile tea. I went to sit down in the loungeroom when I felt funny and noticed irregular heartbeats... It lasted maybe 2-3 minutes I got up and spoke to my partner and felt ill. He checked my pulse and said my heart wasn’t beating right. I started to panic - I burst into tears thinking I needed an ambulance. It stopped but the fear remained... I am now shaky with prickly forearms and well needing to use the bathroom heaps... My heart I feel is also I feel beating faster than normal and I can’t sleep... I’m petrified. I have had tests done on my heart 2x 24 hour holter monitors and an echocardiogram all normal. I figured if I had a dangerous arrhythmia it’d have shown up in the testing... It hasn’t happened in so long and I thought maybe I was getting better but this came I feel out of the blue... I’d been feeling so good lately I decided to have a glass of wine tonight. I had a glass yesterday and nothing like this happened.... I do have a lot going on at the moment... I’m just wondering could it have been a panic attack?

Ma-jd I am in need of some guidance and support
  • replies: 3

Hi everyone, Ive just been going through these threads and I've become so emotional after reading the responses. You all seem to care for each other so much and I would really like some help if that's okay. I have developed GAD over the last few mont... View more

Hi everyone, Ive just been going through these threads and I've become so emotional after reading the responses. You all seem to care for each other so much and I would really like some help if that's okay. I have developed GAD over the last few months and I am terrified. I'm always nauseous, dizzy and terrified. My stomachs in knots and I'm restless. I feel like I can't go to work but I have to as they only employ a handful of people to do a lot of work - we don't really get paid very well but I think it will look good on my resume (I'm babbling, I'm sorry). Last week the nausea got so bad at work I threw up. I have been referred to a psychologist office but I can't get up the courage to call... I feel absolutely pathetic I feel like I've lost complete control over who I am, my doctor has now prescribed me some medication but I am paralysed with fear that my anxiety will get worse before it gets better. I am so scared about the future. I just want to be myself again but I don't know what to do. I know I need to get help, but I'm so scared. I really don't know how to help myself. Thanks for your time.

Vitsyra Anxiety Triggers
  • replies: 11

Hi All, I have been wondering if other people have anxiety triggers. I've always been quite sensitive, though have gotten a little tougher with age. Last Friday I triggered my anxiety by watching a scary zombie movie, which I knew I shouldn't have do... View more

Hi All, I have been wondering if other people have anxiety triggers. I've always been quite sensitive, though have gotten a little tougher with age. Last Friday I triggered my anxiety by watching a scary zombie movie, which I knew I shouldn't have done, but did not expect to struggle so much with anxiety for the last few days. Even just thinking or mentioning the movie makes me fearful. So I was wondering if others have triggers, I have quite a few things I avoid because I worry they will set me off. It is kind of a sucky way to live life. For me, I have to be very careful with movies, TV, books.. anything too scary, unfair, cruelty to animals, or just too sad can set me off. I also have to be careful with social media, news.. etc. I don't travel, because being away from home can trigger me. So hard to explain to workmates that I haven't traveled and nor do I want to. Meeting new people, new situations. but also not doing these things can set me off. Getting into trouble at work, accidentally breaking a road rule, or being told off by someone. Even if I THINK I did something wrong with work it can set me off. Being alone in some places, like events, shops, etc. When I'm already suffering anxiety, the chance of triggering myself again is always more likely than when I'm in a good place. I know a lot about what can trigger my anxiety, I just wish I knew how to turn it off once it starts. One moment can lead to weeks of despair.

ocdbill OCD - checking - trying to lift the shame and secrecy
  • replies: 9

Long time reader and first time poster. I am a 29 yr old male and have struggled with Anxiety for the best part of 10 years and struggled with OCD for the last 3. My OCD began when at a job years ago I didn't leave a gate locked; at the time it made ... View more

Long time reader and first time poster. I am a 29 yr old male and have struggled with Anxiety for the best part of 10 years and struggled with OCD for the last 3. My OCD began when at a job years ago I didn't leave a gate locked; at the time it made me more vigilant and I would sometimes drive 15 mins back to check it ; fast forward 7 years and I am at another job where I am responsible for locking up. My OCD brain told me to create a checklist for everything I needed to do; this kept the OCD at bay for a short time; suddenly the amount of checking increased and this increased the anxiety and a circle began where I needed to check the locks more and more to get the same reduction in anxiety. I have now started seeing a therapist (3rd therapist in my life) and we are working through CBT and thought process with the next part to begin with ERP. I admit that therapy at first was hard and confusing but swore this time I would stick it out and so far I have. What I hope is that we can talk openly about OCD; the shame I felt about mine meant I was in denial and tried to self manage; the shame led me to secrecy which just fuelled the shame more and delayed me from getting professional help. My journey with OCD is far from over but I have started talking to friends and coming here and posting was always something I wanted to do to try raise some awareness. If anyone with OCD is reading this please note the following 1) You are not crazy - no matter the thoughts 2) You are not crazy! 3) You are not alone. 4) Help is available. Would love to hear other peoples stories about OCD

lmslms Fatigue and Exhaustion
  • replies: 4

Hi everyone, hopefully everyone is doing as well as can be. just wondering if many experience exhaustion and fatigue on a daily basis with their anxiety. im constantly tired and exhausted, and have numerous bouts of fatigue throughout the day, more s... View more

Hi everyone, hopefully everyone is doing as well as can be. just wondering if many experience exhaustion and fatigue on a daily basis with their anxiety. im constantly tired and exhausted, and have numerous bouts of fatigue throughout the day, more so when I know I have things to do. Can many people relate? thanks

lmslms First time user here. Anxiety symptoms
  • replies: 13

Hi everyone. First time user here. I have depression, panic disorder and anxiety disorder. At the moment anxiety is at a high for some unknown reason. Just in relation to some of the symptoms that I have been having, which I have never had before. Im... View more

Hi everyone. First time user here. I have depression, panic disorder and anxiety disorder. At the moment anxiety is at a high for some unknown reason. Just in relation to some of the symptoms that I have been having, which I have never had before. Im getting muscle spams, twitches, tremors in the hands, arms and legs. have people experienced this. Do other sufferers out there get the massive fatigue and tiredness aswell? And do you find that when you concentrate on a symptom, it makes it worse? thanks

Xaflee Struggling with panic/anxiety at work
  • replies: 2

First time posting here... I've always suffered from depression and anxiety but over the past month it's become very bad. It's mainly my job. It's the kind of place where they rely on a few particular people for everything under the sun and I'm unfor... View more

First time posting here... I've always suffered from depression and anxiety but over the past month it's become very bad. It's mainly my job. It's the kind of place where they rely on a few particular people for everything under the sun and I'm unfortunately one of those! It's become a burden because I'm so overworked. Even though I arrive and leave on time and don't stay late (I decided it wasn't worth it, I'm not paid enough nor have the title for that kind of commitment!), it's still weighing me down. I recently have found it incredibly hard to make it through the work day. I started having panic attacks more frequently recently, sometimes I have them at my desk where I just sit there and try to do one task but I feel like a zombie and can barely function. Other times I get home and just collapse, sobbing, where I then have a dreadful evening to the hardship of my partner. I actually had to have a nap in a quiet room at work at lunch the other day after the adrenaline left me exhausted. It's not one problem - the overload at work is one, but it's also the attitude of management. They don't particularly care about the health of their employees, there's no support for admin/support workers (just the sales staff) and no one listens. I've asked repeatedly for another resource but they all just say "in time" or ask me to be "understanding" with a wink/nudge. I've been there nearly 4 years. Unfortunately I rely on my salary and leaving isn't an option just yet (I can leave in another 6-9 months without financial strain). It's particularly jarring because otherwise it's a "close" workplace and everyone is on very good terms, lots of laughs and everyone knows a lot about each other. I've been to the doctor and they wrote me a certificate for a whole week - she encouraged me to stay home for a few days at least, to rest - but I feel so guilty about it. I take mental health/sick days here and there where I need them but struggle with the guilt. If I don't go in a lot of key things won't get done (I'm the only one who knows how to do them) and I don't know how to deal with that. A few colleagues know about my struggles and empathise, they certainly don't blame me (and I know they won't tell management about my personal issues), but I feel bad all the same. I'm just struggling knowing it's the weekend and Monday is nearly here. When I think of going to work my heart starts racing again and I feel like crying. I just want to curl up in a ball and sleep.

white knight Relaxing music and messages
  • replies: 5

Im living proof relaxation works. It should be part of your plan to reduce your anxiety. Feel welcome to list your videos or messages. Please dont use web addresses. Here is a few of my favourites google Leo Rojas Der Einsame Maharaji Prem Rawat suns... View more

Im living proof relaxation works. It should be part of your plan to reduce your anxiety. Feel welcome to list your videos or messages. Please dont use web addresses. Here is a few of my favourites google Leo Rojas Der Einsame Maharaji Prem Rawat sunset Maharaji prem rawat the perfect instrument Tony WK

CG90 job anxiety
  • replies: 2

hi, first time poster so thanks for taking time to have a read. Been out of work for just over 10 months. The area of work i'm interested in appeals to me on a lot of levels, I've been studying a course online and overall it's pretty good (can be cha... View more

hi, first time poster so thanks for taking time to have a read. Been out of work for just over 10 months. The area of work i'm interested in appeals to me on a lot of levels, I've been studying a course online and overall it's pretty good (can be challenging but i'm learning a lot which i like), I'm hoping to get it finished soon. I recently had a job interview for the industry i'm interested in and this is what is making me anxious and nervous. Was told by the interviewer that i'd be told early in the week whether or not i'd get a second interview. i was expecting Monday or at the least Tuesday but i'm yet to hear anything. I felt the interview went well but you can never be sure with a job interview. I was told either way i'd be told and to not hear back is making me feel a bit lost. I've read various articles about calling and not calling them back myself. It's the first interview I've had in months and the actual job itself was really appealing. I'm reluctant to call back as that may go against me. I know there will be other opportunities in the future (especially once i pass my course) however i'm feeling a bit let down as i was feeling really good with getting an interview but to still not hear back is a bit disappointing. I was hoping to get a job before Christmas or the end of the year but it probably wont happen. I'm dreading relatives on Christmas Day asking me about the situation, most i only see once or twice a year but i'm still dreading the questions coming from them. The longer i'm out of work the worse off it will be. I know something will happen eventually but it's been long enough already and i'd rather work than go into 2018 and still be out of work. I'm trying to stay positive and do various things like eating well and doing a bit of exercise as well as studying my course. I'm just hoping that this situation doesn't drag on much longer. Thanks for your time, appreciate it.

Brightlight What exercises reduces your anxiety
  • replies: 4

Hi I’m interested to know what exercises help reduce your anxiety? i find if I do cardio every 2nd day it reduces my anxiety and when I stop I’m a train wreck. i find it hard to exercise cause of the medicine I’m on and looking for ideas on what othe... View more

Hi I’m interested to know what exercises help reduce your anxiety? i find if I do cardio every 2nd day it reduces my anxiety and when I stop I’m a train wreck. i find it hard to exercise cause of the medicine I’m on and looking for ideas on what other people think or do to stay active ? thanks