Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Worrier01 Fainting/Falling Sensation
  • replies: 4

Hi there. I am new to this site and hoping I can get some advice. I have started getting a feeling that I am about to faint but I never do. Research on the web better describes my feeling as more of a ‘I think I am about to fall’ sensation. I have a ... View more

Hi there. I am new to this site and hoping I can get some advice. I have started getting a feeling that I am about to faint but I never do. Research on the web better describes my feeling as more of a ‘I think I am about to fall’ sensation. I have a pacemaker fitted andthought it was relatedto my heart condition of left heart block, but a day in casualty yesterday ruled out any issues with my heart, pacemaker or associations. I have a further appointment with my cardiolist (invloved in yesterdays proceedings) to tryand lookinto this further. However I am now wondering if this feeling/sensation is anxiety related. The sensation occurs approximately twice a day and seems to come on more in this extreme heat. The sensation makes me grap for support or go to ground for safety as I thinkI am going to faint or fall, i guess. It is starting make me go throughthe what if this happens... secenarios to the point that I am reluctant to leave the house. If I lie down I never get the sensations, only walking and at times sitting. The sensations last from 1 to 3 seconds. So I am trying to find out if it may be anxietyrelated so I can discuss this with my cardiologist so I don’t steer him in a wrong direction. If it may be anxiety related who would you suggest is the first point of call for me to have a talk to. Thanks again for listening as it wasn’t easy making a decison to write tjis but I guess this where to start. I cant deal with these ongoing sensations so need some help from someone if it is anxietyrelated. I have recently retired from a highly stressful (positive) job and am now leading a more sedentry lifestyle but have the usual stresses I guess of that change, finances, living with spouse fulltime etc. Thank you for your time.

Monkeysss Are panic attacks different for everyone?
  • replies: 8

Hi all, just looking for peoples panic attack experiences. Sorry if this is long. I’ve read a lot of people saying they get heart attack symptoms. Their chest sore. From what I can remember I don’t get chest pain when I have a panic attack. Here are ... View more

Hi all, just looking for peoples panic attack experiences. Sorry if this is long. I’ve read a lot of people saying they get heart attack symptoms. Their chest sore. From what I can remember I don’t get chest pain when I have a panic attack. Here are my symptoms: •I notice at first my eyes go blurry •I feel like I’m not breathing like my throat and lungs are numb or something that’s the only way I can explain it my brain tells me I can’t/am not breathing but I don’t always hyperventilate •my skin heats up like im on fire, after the panic attack I feel like I’m badly sunburnt mainly my upper arms and back (this feeling lingers for ages after probs a day or two but after that it only returns when I’m anxious or during/after a panic attack) •I get insane dizziness and sense of dread I keep thinking ‘something’s wrong, this is it I’m actually gonna die this time I have to get to a hospital’(even say it out loud begging my mum to take me hospital but she doesn’t bc she knows it’s a panic attack. And just get this feeling I absolutely can’t describe with words, just convinced something’s wrong and this is the end then afterwards I cry and get really shaky and anxious bc I’m scared of having another one. Bc my panic attack is different to what other people experience my anxiety is telling me it’s not a panic attack and that I’m actually dying :/so is anyone okay with sharing their panic attack symptoms? Are panic attacks different for everyone?

Mum02 Physical symptoms, I fear I'm not going to see my kids grow up
  • replies: 3

Hi, I am new to this, but since November, I have had sore chest, then. Progressed to me thinking about the worst, I now have got tingling all through my body, to the point, I feel like I'm not going to have long on this earth. In saying that, I have ... View more

Hi, I am new to this, but since November, I have had sore chest, then. Progressed to me thinking about the worst, I now have got tingling all through my body, to the point, I feel like I'm not going to have long on this earth. In saying that, I have been to emergency room, all tests done. Nothing, then each week something else happens, my Dr sent me to a neurologist , all completely clear. I'm freaking out about cancers, sarcomas, as I am my worst enemy and Dr googled it. I went and got a second opinion, nothing except he thinks all my chest cartridge is inflamed. I have had test after test, my. Huge fear is that I'm not going to see my kids grow up. I am going for another mri for my spine. But both drs are both saying anxiety and possible fibromalgia, I am driving my family bonkers, my deepest fear is that they are going to come back and say sorry we misdiagnosed you and enjoy the time you have left. I cry at a drop of a hat, my body is in pain all the time with tingling. But this all started when I lost 2 members of the same family within 3months , all of a sudden and it bought back the memories of when my gorgeous brother passed away in 2009 from AML. I'm petrified, but my Dr has referred me to a psychologist.

Hollyvw92 Post car crash anxiety
  • replies: 10

Hi all, i am 26 years old and had the unlucky experience of being involved in a head on collision today. I have always dealt with severe anxiety and obviously today the anxiety is in its glory taking control of my mind. I understand it’s normal and m... View more

Hi all, i am 26 years old and had the unlucky experience of being involved in a head on collision today. I have always dealt with severe anxiety and obviously today the anxiety is in its glory taking control of my mind. I understand it’s normal and most people in my situation would be feeling somewhat anxious however, me being an overly anxious person in general anyway, I feel as though it’s gonna take me longer than most people to get over this. I very luckily walked away from the accident with a sore neck and some bruised knees. Thank god the other driver was absolutely fine, with no injuries whatsoever. We were both in the wrong as we both went through yellow lights. I was going straight and he was turning in front so we crashed straight into each other head on. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on dealing with this and getting the courage up to get back behind the wheel? My car is most likely a write off and I’ve decided to hold off getting a rental as I know I’m going to be a nervous wreck the next time I drive. Even today as a passenger in the car and my partner driving, every time someone had to give way to my partner I nearly had a panic attack thinking the other driver wasn’t going to stop. Now I am also stressing about how much I’m going to get paid out and if it’s going to cover my loan. I am also stressing about who’s fault it is and whether this is going to ruin my insurance history. If anyone has any tips or has even been in a similar situation and is keen to share their story, please shout out

Elvira_kate Anxiety relapse and subtance use
  • replies: 1

Hi everyone, 2 and a half years ago I experienced my first panic attack and experienced extreme symptoms of anxiety. Since that panic attack I have sought help from a psychologist, completed an online-course and started long distance running to help ... View more

Hi everyone, 2 and a half years ago I experienced my first panic attack and experienced extreme symptoms of anxiety. Since that panic attack I have sought help from a psychologist, completed an online-course and started long distance running to help manage symptoms etc. I have been doing really well and feeling in control. I am ashamed to say that while I was doing all these helpful things, I still continued to use substances on the weekends with my friends. I would not consider myself a heavy user but I am on medication for my anxiety and I know that using drugs is extremely unhelpful. Two weeks ago following the Christmas/new year period I had reached a point where I could not cope with the frequency of my habit and I became in a state of panic. Since then I have found most days I have experienced severe anxiety again. I am determined to get back on my feet, I have vowed to stopped using substance and have booked in to seek further help. I have been doing a lot of thought processing and understand that my habits stem from wanting to please my peers and not miss out on any fun. As with all anxious thoughts, I see that it is irrational to think these things. I am not sure what I hope to achieve from posting in this forum, I just feel lost at the moment and would appreciate any advice or words of wisdom that will give me hope for a future without anxiety ruling me like it is now. Thanks for listening

Kad79 New mum anxiety
  • replies: 11

Hi I'm a mum to a 9 month old son. I started having health issues in October and after an ultrasound and a ct scan I was told I have a bulky pancreas. The Dr didn't explain anything to be about what it meant and I was left to my own devices. Weeks la... View more

Hi I'm a mum to a 9 month old son. I started having health issues in October and after an ultrasound and a ct scan I was told I have a bulky pancreas. The Dr didn't explain anything to be about what it meant and I was left to my own devices. Weeks later and I'm still having chest pains and toileting issues. I don't know if it's anxiety or my pancreas. Daily I think I've got something so serious that I'll die and leave my son without a mother. I'm getting a blood test tomorrow to see if there are further issues, but my current Dr rolls her eyes everytime I go in there. I wake up feeling sick in the morning and worry that it means something is seriously wrong. My partner thinks I'm over reacting so I can't talk to him. My family live interstate and I just want my mum. I used to be so healthy and loved life but now I'm sick all the time and don't like leaving the house alone.

hannalogy Disconnection
  • replies: 6

Just wondering - I have experiences sometimes where I feel like I'm a step removed from myself and other people. It's hard to explain.. When I talk to people it can be like talking through a fog or like I'm far away. My mind can't seem to be in the s... View more

Just wondering - I have experiences sometimes where I feel like I'm a step removed from myself and other people. It's hard to explain.. When I talk to people it can be like talking through a fog or like I'm far away. My mind can't seem to be in the same space that my body is.. in the moment.. Everything useful is on the periphery or something. Things don't feel real. No they do... they feel real.. just.. fuzzy or something. It doesn't happen all the time.. but enough for me to notice it occasionally. I get anxious a lot, but not to panic-attack stage. I wondered if it might be an anxiety thing..

roogirl Retirement Blues
  • replies: 11

Hello, Wondering if you ever get used to being retired? It's been almost a year now since I retired and I'm still going through an adjustment period, feeling all over the shop and my anxiety is none too happy I can tell you. I'm involved in other thi... View more

Hello, Wondering if you ever get used to being retired? It's been almost a year now since I retired and I'm still going through an adjustment period, feeling all over the shop and my anxiety is none too happy I can tell you. I'm involved in other things such as voluntary work and walking group, but not the same as working full time 5 days a week. I don't miss my job as such, but the routine and being needed I guess. I live alone and have done for many years (divorced) and have never felt lonely before, but I do now and feel quite isolated at times. I have supportive family and friends, but they also have their own lives. I'm considering moving to a retirement village where I may not feel quite so alone. I will do my research thoroughly before making any long term decisions. Anyone else out there who has been down this road, I would like any opinions on how you have coped or are coping. Roogirl

Hayleyp Unable to talk to partner about anxiety
  • replies: 7

I have suffered severe health anxiety for many years now, on and off. I have times where I am travelling along quite normally and find the health anxiety hits when I am under pressure at work, or I have a lot of time on my hands to thinks, such as du... View more

I have suffered severe health anxiety for many years now, on and off. I have times where I am travelling along quite normally and find the health anxiety hits when I am under pressure at work, or I have a lot of time on my hands to thinks, such as during the holidays. My husband really is the best, but I cannot talk to him about my health anxiety anymore, because I don’t think he understands it. He will usually have a joke and say ‘what have you got this time?’ I think this is part of the reason I get so stressed because I feel as if I have to internalise it all and it is driving me crazy! Hence the reason I am looking for a psychologist to speak to. Is it common for a partner to come along to a session, so they can actually understand the impact that this anxiety can have on me?? my husband knows I am on anti anxiety medication again, thinks I don’t need it! Don’t get me wrong he is the best husband and father, but I just don’t think he gets it! Is there anyone else in this situation who can give me some advice?

Ferbs Anxiety caused by toxic workplace
  • replies: 7

Hi friends, So i have been with my current employers for 4 1/2 years. In 2018 it came to my attention that i was severely underpaid so i hired a lawyer and got back the money that was rightfully mine but ever since my boss has made me hate going to w... View more

Hi friends, So i have been with my current employers for 4 1/2 years. In 2018 it came to my attention that i was severely underpaid so i hired a lawyer and got back the money that was rightfully mine but ever since my boss has made me hate going to work. She yells at me at times, she's told me not to bother coming back to work if i don't fix a mistake, she disregards request for time off ect. I would feel physically ill walking into work, heart palpitations, chest pains, stomach pains, diahrea, nausea were some of the symptoms that i had when i walked into work So i had no choice but to hand in my resignation. Last night i was up all night with severe anxiety so i called in sick for my shift this morning which was at 11am. I get a message at 11.30 this morning from my boss saying as i have no shown up to work she will take it as i am terminating my contract which wasn't the case as i had called and told the manager on duty that i wouldn't be coming in as i was sick and i had another week of my notice to work. So i called her and she blased me, threatened me that if future employees call for a reference that she would give me a bad reference. Then today i also found out that for 3 years she took all the other staff in my division for Christmas parties but never included me which has made my anxiety and depression worse. I went to the doctor's who has given me a week off work which means that's the last week of notice i would have had to work and which also means i wouldn't have to go back to work. But my question is can i use that certificate even though I'm still meant to be working my notice period? Also the thought of facing her to even give her the medical is making me anxious let alone trying to go back to working with her. I am so lost help please. I'm scared if i use my medical and don't work the last week of my notice she will give me a bad reference which can effect future employment