Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Blue2019 I don't know what to do
  • replies: 9

I have been in a long distance relationship for the past 15 months. My partner moved away for work. When he left I moved out of home and am living on my own. I have been feeling really lonely and sad ever since this happened. I tried to explain to my... View more

I have been in a long distance relationship for the past 15 months. My partner moved away for work. When he left I moved out of home and am living on my own. I have been feeling really lonely and sad ever since this happened. I tried to explain to my partner how lonely i felt but he didn't pay much attention to my feelings.. I didn't feel very loved and these feelings kept getting worse. I didn't know when or if he was coming back and I tried to communicate many times about wanting some clarify. I felt like I was talking to a brick wall and nothing I said was getting through to him. I wanted to visit him but it was never the right time for him. Regretfully, I cheated.. I knew straight away that it was wrong, of course. But it also made me realise how lonely I was and that I just wanted to know where our relationship was at. After this happened.. I began feeling very anxious and having panic attacks. These feelings are taking over my life. I told him and was honest about everything that happened.. He said it was ok and that it isn't my fault that it happened... I have spoken to him about all my feelings and asked him to tell me how he feels about everything and where he is at with our relationship. He says everything is ok and he is coming back in a few months. I can't stop this anxious feeling. I want to trust that everything is ok like he says. But I feel like it is slowly coming to an end. I really want things to work out. I don't know what to do.

QldMouse Anxiety, panic, and just coping.
  • replies: 41

Hi, I know I'm not alone by any means (Thank you Beyond Blue) but somehow that knowledge does not help. Trust me I've read a lot, been to a lot of therapy, made a lot of progress. But. That awful feeling of panic, then stupidity sets in, irrational b... View more

Hi, I know I'm not alone by any means (Thank you Beyond Blue) but somehow that knowledge does not help. Trust me I've read a lot, been to a lot of therapy, made a lot of progress. But. That awful feeling of panic, then stupidity sets in, irrational behaviour kicks into high gear, breath gets difficult, speech becomes impossible, and then the chest pain and headaches set in. In spite of wishing for the ground to open up and swallow me, it does not. I have to deal with my issues. In spite of a desperate need to connect with people I drive them away, and run away myself. I am so tired of being an anxiety riddled social lepper. And I have so tried. Now out of visits on my mental health plan, and can't afford the therapy I need, what do people do? Thank you all. PS. to White Rose you lovely contributor, it is so nice to see your avatar but so sad to hear your news. I am thinking of you and so hope you recover and feel better very soon.

shfer Any way to Overcome Fatigue of Anxiety?
  • replies: 7

Hello all, I have been dealing with anxiety since I was 23 , I am now 34 so 11 years but due to medication have been fine for most of these years until recently had another breakdown and had to change medication etc and now trying to recover. Over th... View more

Hello all, I have been dealing with anxiety since I was 23 , I am now 34 so 11 years but due to medication have been fine for most of these years until recently had another breakdown and had to change medication etc and now trying to recover. Over the years I have learned how to tackle the anxiety symptoms of panic and fear , just by myself and trying to learn coping skills and ways to know that these are only anxiety symptoms and nothing to do with something serious and I can say that I have quite managed to keep those in check for the most part, Also the symptoms of breathlessness and pins and needles and what not, but the one symptom I have never been able to tackle all of these years is the EXTREME TIREDNESS AND FATIGUE . I have been off medication for about 4 months prior to starting back on them again now and all other symptoms I have somehow managed to control apart from that of extreme tiredness that usually was showing up every 2-3 days or every 3-4 days , and when that happened I head to take medication to be able to get out of it, and within an hour this extreme tiredness would settle and i would keep going for another few days. So even when I was off antidepressants for about 4 months this symptom would never go away no matter how hard I tried. I did not even have depression or negative thoughts apart from this but could not cope anymore than 4 months as some other symptoms then started to appear and i ended up back to the dr to seek for help once more. If anyone has any idea what shall one do or if there is anything that can be done to ease this horrible feeling? I would appreciate it. Thank you all.

Concetta60 Concetta60 - experiecing very bad panic attacks
  • replies: 1

I have been have very bad panic attack feeling very nerves and shaking a specially when I go to bed at night,and some times I start coughing and I can’t breed does any one feel thick this pleases let me know please

I have been have very bad panic attack feeling very nerves and shaking a specially when I go to bed at night,and some times I start coughing and I can’t breed does any one feel thick this pleases let me know please

Mic_Quid Return to work
  • replies: 2

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice around my return to work on Monday after a short absence. I've suffered from anxiety for my entire life, but have been on a journey to better understand myself over the past seven years. I find that my anxiety... View more

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice around my return to work on Monday after a short absence. I've suffered from anxiety for my entire life, but have been on a journey to better understand myself over the past seven years. I find that my anxiety has its ups and downs as I imagine it does for most people. Recently there have been some additional pressures in life and I have found myself struggling more. I've been to the GP and have been working with a psychologist as a part of a mental health plan. One of my stressors at the moment is my work, where I don't feel valued or supported and management have unrealistic expectations. Recently my psychologist recommended some time off work and my GP gave me three weeks off. I'm due to go back on Monday but am concerned about what I tell them. I don't really want to divulge what's happening with my mental health as I don't think I will be supported at all and there's a chance it will be held against me. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I can tell my workplace about my absence to preserve my privacy?

rose2002 Unsure and a Little Scared

So, I was talking to a friend the other day about how to go about dealing with just the general stuff going on in my head. I don't know if I have anxiety, depression, both, or neither, but I'm worried to find out. Not only am I scared to find out if ... View more

So, I was talking to a friend the other day about how to go about dealing with just the general stuff going on in my head. I don't know if I have anxiety, depression, both, or neither, but I'm worried to find out. Not only am I scared to find out if I do have an illness, but what happens if I don't? What if what I am experiencing is normal and I just can't cope as well as others? I don't know what I'd so if I talked to a doctor and all they told me is that I'm stressed or something. I don't exactly know why, but I am also scared to tell my parents that I don't think I'm coping. It's not that they'd be angry or anything. I know they are sympathetic enough towards people in my (and my siblings) life who have things like anxiety and depression, but what if it's a different story when they actually have to deal with it? I also feel like maybe they'll just tell me that I'm fine. I haven't felt as bad in the recent few weeks, but it still is always in the back of my mind. I also have this fear that I've just made up this disorder in my head and that I'm not actually anxious, but rather I've just convinced myself that I am... I'm just confused and writing this is making me upset. My friend said just to go to my GP because there's no harm in that, but just thinking about that scares me. Also, then I'd have to talk to my mum or dad and I don't think I can do that. Please help, I really need some advice. Thanks.

Daisy129 Fear of phone calls
  • replies: 23

I have struggled with social anxiety for many years. Most things I have been able to develop strategies for dealing with but for some reason I just cannot get past my fear of making and answering calls. I find it easier to make calls to strangers whe... View more

I have struggled with social anxiety for many years. Most things I have been able to develop strategies for dealing with but for some reason I just cannot get past my fear of making and answering calls. I find it easier to make calls to strangers when it is structured and I have a clear start and end to the call, but if I have to make a personal call to a family member, close friend or colleague, I really find it tough. When my phone rings, my heart races and I get really hot in the face, I just don't want to answer it. When I have to make a call it will often take days and repeated attempts and lots of worry in between. When I manage to make or take a call, I squirm all the way through, trying to be polite but honestly cannot wait to hang up. Just wondered if anyone else has this? Are there good ways of dealing with this or is it just best to avoid phone calls and communicate in other ways??

Sezza_H Feeling faint, dizzy, etc
  • replies: 3

Hello, I have been having troubles with feeling faint, dizzy and sometimes my eyesight is affected. In addition to this, I also get this feeling that I can’t quite describe whereby I can’t focus on what’s going on around me, almost as though I am jus... View more

Hello, I have been having troubles with feeling faint, dizzy and sometimes my eyesight is affected. In addition to this, I also get this feeling that I can’t quite describe whereby I can’t focus on what’s going on around me, almost as though I am just consumed with what’s going on in my head that I am not really in the present moment (sorry I realise this is confusing but I can’t quite describe the feeling with words). These symptoms can be very intense one minute and then subside shortly after or they can linger on for what feels like hours. I don't tend to feel this way at home but when I go out, especially if I am doing somethings that makes me anxious or just that I know could be an anxiety-inducing situation, I start to feel this way and it can be very intense. I also start to feel this way when I hear people just talking about it. Does anyone else have troubles with these feelings? Are there any strategies that people have to help mitigate these feelings? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Idontlikemymind Binge eating disorder & Depression

I was put on medication in July 2016 for post natal depression/ anxiety and grief of loss and have been on it ever since. This year I have now developed an eating disorder called BED which is binge eating disorder. I stuff my face with food every nig... View more

I was put on medication in July 2016 for post natal depression/ anxiety and grief of loss and have been on it ever since. This year I have now developed an eating disorder called BED which is binge eating disorder. I stuff my face with food every night. There is not a day that goes by that I don’t binge eat. This is making me very depressed. I feel very low, unmotivated and hopeless. I see a psychologist but it’s hard to get an appointment with her. I am at my wits end and really don’t know what to do. Please help!

44Max44 'dream-like' state
  • replies: 20

The past few days I've felt like I've been in a 'dream-like' state, almost as if I'm living in a simulation of my life but not my actual life. I've found it extremely hard to think about or focus on anything other than my mental and physical health a... View more

The past few days I've felt like I've been in a 'dream-like' state, almost as if I'm living in a simulation of my life but not my actual life. I've found it extremely hard to think about or focus on anything other than my mental and physical health and constantly feel not quite all there mentally. I've found that I've been overly careless and just disinterested in most things. Usually talking to other people can help me break out of this state and bring me back to reality, but I can't do anything when I'm alone, so the night is especially daunting for me. I really want to go to my GP and book a Mental Healthcare Plan and have been planning to for months now, but I never end up going down. I'm not really sure why I'm so hesitant to go, but I really want to. Going to the GP and talking about physical things I'm fine with, it's just the mental stuff I'm too worried to talk about. I've tried to find similar posts on the forums about this type of issue, but none of them quite fit exactly what I'm experiencing, hence the new post. Sorry for all the posts I've made in the few days, there's just been a lot on my mind. Any and all help is appreciated.