Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Jane24 Breakup & Anxiety
  • replies: 3

I've struggled with anxiety for many years, with bad panic attacks. The severity has ebbed and flowed throughout my life. I still had things to work on but I finally felt like things were on track. I had a new home, with a new partner, new job opport... View more

I've struggled with anxiety for many years, with bad panic attacks. The severity has ebbed and flowed throughout my life. I still had things to work on but I finally felt like things were on track. I had a new home, with a new partner, new job opportunities and I was slowly facing fears I'd avoided for years (I'm 28). Then my industry was stopped due to corona virus, my partner broke up with me and I had to move back home with my elderly parents. Being back home I feel like all the old anxious feelings are back. Stuck in isolation hasn't helped. I managed okay at first, but I've slipped back into anxiety & depression with daily panic/crying attacks that I can't shift, they just overwhelm me. I can deal with the relationship ending, but it's that he said my anxiety was too hard to deal with & he didn't want to do life with someone not "meeting him on his level". When he'd been so supportive at the start & I'd made so much progress and I was finally feeling good and capable in myself... Even when doing well, it wasn't good enough. It made me lose hope because I'd been feeling so proud of how far I'd come & I felt crushed by what he said. So now I've gone backwards & I feel like I'm worthless & stuck.

Bulus_Shabbaz Downside of being intellegent and self-aware

I have a handful of diagnoses but this topic can apply to any condition. I tend to ramble, so I apologize in advance. When I am well people seem to get the impression from me that I am a relatively intelligent and balanced person. I am articulate in ... View more

I have a handful of diagnoses but this topic can apply to any condition. I tend to ramble, so I apologize in advance. When I am well people seem to get the impression from me that I am a relatively intelligent and balanced person. I am articulate in my speech, and I have self-awareness and sense of humour to match. When I am generally sick, I am still very much like this externally, but people can tell something is off about me. However, when it comes to my friends and families attitude to my mental illnesses, I am often told that I am "too smart", and "too self-aware", to be acting and feeling how I claim to be. As if to say smart people can't be inflicted with mental illnesses, and if one is self-aware they by definition can not be sick. And so when I am raising a red flag that I am possible headed towards a meltdown or episode, I am often ignored and told to stop being dramatic. Fast forward to me walking down the street half-naked, putting pamphlets in peoples letterboxes with information about the Interdimensional Reptilian NWO, and when I am hauled off to the psych ward because of some better to be not mentioned incident, my family acts all shocked and will say something like "well that came out of nowhere", and "this is nonsense, you are too smart to be acting this way". Of course, internally the torment of being intelligent and self-aware is that I very much introspective and self-analytical and I spend too much time in my head-space. I have an inner monologue and audio-commentary track that narrates my life and tells me a bunch of medical jargon when I am experiencing anxiety and depression. And when I speak to doctors and therapists I probably come across as pseudo-intellectual and pretentious, but they tell me I have a lot of insight and self-awareness which is something many people with my conditions don't have. But then I have met other people who do not have that insight and self-awareness and while I see how frustrating that is for their friends and family for them they often seem blissfully ignorant. This might sound weird, but I sometimes wish I could just turn off the switch in my head and have a day or two where I throw caution to the wind and just live.

Tess0593 New to forums - needing to get off this emotional roller coaster
  • replies: 5

Hi all Not sure where to start but basically I have come to the conclusion that I have had enough of the current emotional roller coaster I'm on. I work full time (currently working from home due to COVID-19). I have anxiety and mild depression. I've... View more

Hi all Not sure where to start but basically I have come to the conclusion that I have had enough of the current emotional roller coaster I'm on. I work full time (currently working from home due to COVID-19). I have anxiety and mild depression. I've suffered from chronic migraines and headaches all my life and for the last 9 months I have had chronic back pain. I'm currently on medication for anxiety and medication for the migraines (they also cause seizures and have had a big impact on my anxiety over the years). My back pain begun around 9 months ago and I have had countless doctors appointments and tests and no one knows what the issue is therefore I am in pain everyday and cannot do the things that I would regularly do. I feel that every week is the same, I get up (struggle with mornings) go to work (that I dont enjoy, I dont know where I fit, dont feel like I am achieving anything), the evening comes around which I dread (I dont know why - perhaps that I dont want my husband to come home and see that I am in a bad mood yet again, I hate not being able to be the wife that he deserves), then bed time (again I dread because I cannot sleep because my mind does not stop). By the time Friday is here I am feeling so wound up and overwhelmed that I cannot wait to have a drink after work, I end up having a few just to numb the pain and calm down my thoughts. By Saturday I dont feel well (too many drinks yet again, this makes me feel regret and angry at myself - my mum is also struggling with alcohol addiction) and I go about doing housework that never seems to end. I cant sit still, I am so restless all the time that I have to be doing something, if I'm not I get down. I like to have plans and I like to get out of the house, and yet I also have this anxiety of being out and being around people. A feeling of no motivation to do anything. Everything seems to clash at this point and I dont know what I want or what I need to be happy. I've started doing yoga since working from home to get a bit of exercise and to help relive some back pain and stress. I listen to sleep stories and meditations most nights in bed (they dont help but I am persevering). I have started reading again. No matter what I try, I always seem to end up back at the start because of this constant roller coaster. I keep falling off and I dont know how to stay on. This morning as I started working I started crying. I knew it wasn't going to be a good day. Thats why I have ended up here...

TheWayfarer I feel like I failed as a good person because of anxiety
  • replies: 4

I didn't know where to turn to after this incident, but I feel like I have lost a really important person in my life and it's because I failed to keep on top of my anxiety. About three years ago, I had persisting issues with swallowing, severe anxiet... View more

I didn't know where to turn to after this incident, but I feel like I have lost a really important person in my life and it's because I failed to keep on top of my anxiety. About three years ago, I had persisting issues with swallowing, severe anxiety, severe depression, and eating disorders (I wrote about it on this forum and thank you so much to everyone that contributed, it really helped). Come 2019, I felt like my life had gotten a lot better - I was actually able to eat with a little more confidence, I was playing sport and keeping fit and actually had heaps of jobs (I counted, 6 different contract work that was meaningful) and studying. From these successes, I felt a lot more empowered to share my story because I wanted to let people know they could achieve anything because of that. But having severe anxiety and depression and a history of trauma - life doesn't always work out being sunshine and rainbows. I met a really amazing friend. He was so supportive, funny, intelligent, uplifting, and really, really kind. I felt safe with him and opened up so much about my journey I bottled inside. I was so scared he'd leave knowing the truth about my illness but he was still there. Then I eventually developed feelings for him, to which I felt guilty for being I knew he was going through such a difficult time. They were unreciprocated. I was scared to reveal them after I have a history of trauma relating to my sexuality. But he was fine with it. Actually, I thought that brought us closer. I really felt like this was a relationship I wanted for the long term. But we'd have these conflicts where he'd reveal his frustrations and anger towards me that I feel so horrible for and that perceptions of emotional manipulation. I feel horrible he's felt this way this entire time - and I wasn't aware of it. I thought I was just sharing it with someone that truly accepted me for who I was... I didn't realise he was so hurt and angry. He doesn't trust me. Long story short, recently he got really angry and told me all those things and I feel so horrible. I feel like I lost someone really dear to me and that I failed because I couldn't see the world beyond my anxieties and trauma. I'm too scared to share this part of myself now, at risk of hurting the people I love. He doesn't trust me. I'm worried that he never cared. I haven't stopped crying, can't sleep for over 3 hours a day for the past 2 weeks and possibly jeopardised a job interview. I'm so sorry.

KK7 Just want someone to talk to that understand how I feel
  • replies: 6

Hello everyone, today I’m really struggling with how I feel, I’m starting to think I have depression as well as my panic /anxiety which I have been dignoised with, I’m on a 3 week waiting list to speak with someone, -as they refuse to let me go in me... View more

Hello everyone, today I’m really struggling with how I feel, I’m starting to think I have depression as well as my panic /anxiety which I have been dignoised with, I’m on a 3 week waiting list to speak with someone, -as they refuse to let me go in medication im struggling with my body! As soon as something hurts I panic, I have something wrong with my shoulder which is causing pain in my chest which makes me panic even tho I know this pain! I’m also sick with vertigo so I can’t drive. I need to get bloods done for possible low iron and I have to wait for my partner to have time to take me as he work. And we r and hour from anything, But I’m panicking over it as I know it’s dangerous to have low iron. I’m also struggling with the fact I get no help what so ever I’m tired and not feeling great! Sorry I just need to vent it’s been a hard couple of days on top of having all 7 kids home and doing homeschooling with 4 had a phone dr appointment yesterday and I think my dr over hearing from me but I know my body isn’t right atm. also thank you to who commented on my last post I can’t work out how to reply.

user-beyondblue_forum need help please- obsessive thinking/memories
  • replies: 7

I was belittled by a psychologist in roughly late 2017 and since then everyday, every hour, every minute I have obsessively remembered her bullying and ruminated over it. It has significantly reduced my quality of life. I'm working with my psychiatri... View more

I was belittled by a psychologist in roughly late 2017 and since then everyday, every hour, every minute I have obsessively remembered her bullying and ruminated over it. It has significantly reduced my quality of life. I'm working with my psychiatrist on a possible medication to treat what she says is obsessive so it's a form of OCD. Would making a formal complaint help me or just make it worse? Would asking for an apology or a refund help? Should I meet the psychologist who bullied me (that is a scary thought) to deal with it in a respectful manner or what should I do? I need this to end or reduce! Please help. Thankyou.

Blake_Arius Finding work in the apolcalypse
  • replies: 4

I've been suffering social anxiety a while now. Due in part to the lack of work I've had over the last 2 years... it's been a terrible run. I work as a graphic designer but my work history in print and disc media is practically dead in the face of mo... View more

I've been suffering social anxiety a while now. Due in part to the lack of work I've had over the last 2 years... it's been a terrible run. I work as a graphic designer but my work history in print and disc media is practically dead in the face of mobile and UI. It got bad so I got help and counseling.. built myself back up, started networking and finding a few small freelance projects.. and then the pandemic hit. It's like everything I've been trying to break away from is suddenly the procedure for dealing with this virus. I've felt isolated for at least 2 years and now I'm supposed to social isolate for the next 6 months. It's really messing with me in that I just don't know how to move forward anymore. I feel like I'm a constant war between wanting to break out of this shell while also being to paranoid to leave it. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do I'm all ears.

BrokenDreamer Overwhelming anxiety is too much
  • replies: 8

Hi. I'm new. I've joined because I've just fallen into a mental state I've never experienced before. I've had generalised anxiety for a long time, but recently I was triggered into a state of excessive anxiety that is more than I can deal with. I'm s... View more

Hi. I'm new. I've joined because I've just fallen into a mental state I've never experienced before. I've had generalised anxiety for a long time, but recently I was triggered into a state of excessive anxiety that is more than I can deal with. I'm sick, I can eat, I can't sleep... I listen to guided relaxations but my heart won't stop thumping and my mind constantly jumps to thoughts that drive my anxiety up. I wake up at 2am with heart palpitations. So much about anxiety talks about how it feels like there's a threat, when in fact you're safe, but I'm not safe. I have to move out of my rental in 2 days. I'm putting all my life in storage and going to couch surf at my ex husband's house (he is not a threat). I'm a 43 year old autistic mother of 2 kids with no idea what I'm going to do. I can't stay with my ex for a long time. It's only temporary. How am I supposed to calm down and function normally when my anxiety keeps erupting with every little thing that's going on in my life? I'm exhausted.

Vickish Cant shake this anxiety

Hi all, I am working at my local hospital in the food services area. Our family is usually a very tight unit. A couple of events have sparked an arguement in our household. And we are all fighting, arguing with each other. I'm usually the strong one ... View more

Hi all, I am working at my local hospital in the food services area. Our family is usually a very tight unit. A couple of events have sparked an arguement in our household. And we are all fighting, arguing with each other. I'm usually the strong one in the family I have a husband and two teenage kids. One is 19 and the other 17. These last two days, my feeling of anxiety will not leave. It is lingering all day, escalates when I am home. Dont know what to do and how to shake this feeling its awful

bluenight I feel alone, do others feel this way?
  • replies: 2

Hello everyone, I'm Josh and I live in Sydney and I work 2 jobs on a casual basis. I read a post from this site after searching loneliness and depression and felt it was a good outlet for people I started having mental health problems 20 years ago wh... View more

Hello everyone, I'm Josh and I live in Sydney and I work 2 jobs on a casual basis. I read a post from this site after searching loneliness and depression and felt it was a good outlet for people I started having mental health problems 20 years ago when I was roughly 19 years old. Looking back there were signs in my teens and high school years but I was very functional. I got a degree about a year and a half ago and I still haven't found a job whereas nearly everyone I know who has been finished that long has and even students who graduated months ago are in jobs. A lot of my anxiety happens in the workplace or in university, it's really been a barrier to finding employment and feeling like I am moving on with my life. I don't know what the solution is to get past this anymore, I've tried a lot of different things, supplements, alternative practices, all kinds of diets, exercise and I've become religious but I don't even know if I'm genuine with my religious beliefs or if i'm just lying to myself, the religious practices help me emotionally and it reduces my anxiety and depression and I feel like I am a better person. I have no friends, I pretty much live alone and the only people I really feel close to are my parents but they are dissapointed in who I've become so our relationship has been very up and down over the years. I feel very alone at times and quite often I hold little hope for my future. I just wish I could go back to being normal, like I was when I was younger. Just going to get groceries this afternoon is an effort, I usually get in and out because I feel really wound up after a 10 minute shop in Coles. I'd like to meet a nice girl and see what happens but that just doesn't feel possible with the way I'm feeling. Thoughts?