Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Monicas Does anyone else out there suffer with weird breathing difficulties constantly?
  • replies: 4

Hi. I just want to know I'm not alone. I have very weird difficulty breathing as in constantly taking deep breaths which I can't even get. Doctor's keep saying it's anxiety and weight as im a bit fat. Anyone other expensive censor this or advice what... View more

Hi. I just want to know I'm not alone. I have very weird difficulty breathing as in constantly taking deep breaths which I can't even get. Doctor's keep saying it's anxiety and weight as im a bit fat. Anyone other expensive censor this or advice what to do about it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Couldb 9 Year Old Daughter with major emotional problems
  • replies: 2

Hi all, I'm not really sure where to start to might keep it brief. Is anyone else having trouble with their pre-teen? Miss 9 is a highly sensitive child, sensory processing issues, anxiety, has been in psychology and OT at age 6 and been pretty good ... View more

Hi all, I'm not really sure where to start to might keep it brief. Is anyone else having trouble with their pre-teen? Miss 9 is a highly sensitive child, sensory processing issues, anxiety, has been in psychology and OT at age 6 and been pretty good for a while but having a lot of trouble this year. She has moved schools halfway through the year and now we are in quarantine and she is extremely difficult to be around for many reasons. My husband and I feel like we need to see someone about how to manage her but thought I would try on here first.

JG170421 I can’t stop wanting a baby

Hi all, I am new to the forum, but I was hoping to get some advice. My fiancée and I have been together for 4 years in December and are getting married in April, but I have been dreaming about having a child to call my own. I have a niece and nephew ... View more

Hi all, I am new to the forum, but I was hoping to get some advice. My fiancée and I have been together for 4 years in December and are getting married in April, but I have been dreaming about having a child to call my own. I have a niece and nephew and had an unplanned pregnancy a few years ago that did not work out. I’ve spoken to my fiancée numerous times about having a baby sooner rather than later (meaning moving up our timeline) but he keeps saying that he isn’t ready or says that he just wants to wait a little bit longer. As I have anxiety, depression and c-ptsd, I am worried that the feelings I have been having are going to impact my mental health dramatically. All I keep seeing all of the time are photos of all of my friends newborns or baby stuff advertised on Facebook and it always hurts my heart to a point where it feels like it’s going to break. I don’t know what to do. I understand my fiancée not being ready, but I’m not sure if he understands how it makes me feel. Has anyone got any advice that they can give me on this topic? thanks

Kitmadixy arguements with anxiety
  • replies: 3

Hi, I have social anxiety disorder, when someone raises their tone at me/ says something judgemental or I voice my opinion and they argue back or blame me I find it incapable to speak and I get built up anxiety from their words and start crying. I ca... View more

Hi, I have social anxiety disorder, when someone raises their tone at me/ says something judgemental or I voice my opinion and they argue back or blame me I find it incapable to speak and I get built up anxiety from their words and start crying. I can never stop it from happening since I was little I just feel so overwhelmed when someone is frustrated at me. Then I cry a lot and I can’t speak anymore and when I do it’s just mumbling. It feels like no one else has this problem and I get called really sensitive for it. My best friend says he has to be careful what to say around me because he says he can’t say anything without me getting upset or hurt and that I’m sensitive. It is really hurtful for people to call me sensitive because I don’t choose the way I feel. I just want to know if anyone can relate to this or if this is normal with social anxiety, or any advice would be helpful.

Sofia99 Sleep problems
  • replies: 4

Hi, I’ve had on and off anxiety related insomnia for years. It has been great but lately it has come back, I can fall asleep but I just keep dreaming all night and wake up feeling exhausted. Dream after dream, I’m sure it will pass but how can i get ... View more

Hi, I’ve had on and off anxiety related insomnia for years. It has been great but lately it has come back, I can fall asleep but I just keep dreaming all night and wake up feeling exhausted. Dream after dream, I’m sure it will pass but how can i get a more restful sleep? It’s been going on for about 1 week and a half.

bill12345 Worried about getting sick
  • replies: 7

Hi, i have been diagnosed with mild OCD and Anxiety and i am in yr 12. My formal is coming up in two days and over the last week i’ve gotten over a cold my anxiety made me believe i had covid but i didn’t but know i feel all better it’s just that i’m... View more

Hi, i have been diagnosed with mild OCD and Anxiety and i am in yr 12. My formal is coming up in two days and over the last week i’ve gotten over a cold my anxiety made me believe i had covid but i didn’t but know i feel all better it’s just that i’m so worried about getting sick again because i don’t want to miss this weekend or formal with my girlfriend and my mind keeps telling me that i’ll catch something at sport training tonight and i’m just so scared because i don’t want to get sick again and my anxiety is making it worse and i just worry know when i feel like droplets i’d spit on me that i’ve got something and all i want is just not to be sick because i get colds every year i just don’t want to be sick again during this special time

Parrot19 Feeling Dangerously Low

Hi, I'm new here but have hit breaking point trying to cope with the things going on in my life which are subsequenly bringing up past issues which are now becoming problematic again (or perhaps they never left). My husband and I have struggled to co... View more

Hi, I'm new here but have hit breaking point trying to cope with the things going on in my life which are subsequenly bringing up past issues which are now becoming problematic again (or perhaps they never left). My husband and I have struggled to conceive for several years. Age was never on our side but I've never had a strong urge to have children. I've never been against them and if they came along naturally I was all for it. My husband however wanted to try everything so I have gone along with IVF to please him. It's been emotionally and physically draining for me and after almost a year of trying this way, I received another "unfortunately it was not successful" call this morning. All that to say, from the emotional strain I have gained weight which has triggered depressive moods as I have been through hell with weight problems for most of my past (I suffered anorexia as a teen and suicidal thoughts which was spurred on from being bullied as a child for being overweight). I've never had therapy or had any advice for those past issues which psychologically, I think have just snowballed but I've supressed them well. But today I was tipped over the edge from a comment made where someone (not knowing anything about me or my cicumstances) asked if I was pregnant. Of all days!! I couldn't believe it. This is not something I've been asked before and it has triggered all sorts of problems in my head, given the news I received from the doctor today and my weight insecurities going back to when I was young. I feel like giving up. I feel cursed. I feel too much pressure to try and conceive to keep my marriage alive and feel ugly and worthless from gaining too much weight. I even feel ashamed having written all this but I don't know what to do and how to cope.

miss92 Feeling Lost

Hello, I am new around here. I recently moved to a new area. Ever since the move my anxiety has been out of control. I moved as I wanted to be closer to family, which I am, and am grateful for and enjoy. I also had a new job opportunity, however the ... View more

Hello, I am new around here. I recently moved to a new area. Ever since the move my anxiety has been out of control. I moved as I wanted to be closer to family, which I am, and am grateful for and enjoy. I also had a new job opportunity, however the job is not what I thought it was. The workload is very heavy. As an example in my first couple of weeks, someone else in my office stepped into another role. I was given their work load. At the time I was already doing the work of someone else. There were days I was doing 3 peoples work. This was rather overwhelming as I was new. I miss my friends and the lifestyle I had. I don't enjoy the job, and I don't know what to do. Do I stick it out- though I can't see if getting better. Do I call it quits and look for something I really love doing? To make matters worse, it has really effected my health. I have an auto-immune disease and the added stress has caused a flare up in my health and I have been quite unwell. I just feel lost.

Fenerbahce Health anxiety back again

Hi all, Back again! I’ve had health anxiety for the last 8 years. throughout the years, I have convinced myself of every known disease and get symptoms associated to it. With every new symptom it can go on for months with doing every test possible un... View more

Hi all, Back again! I’ve had health anxiety for the last 8 years. throughout the years, I have convinced myself of every known disease and get symptoms associated to it. With every new symptom it can go on for months with doing every test possible until I finally convince myself that it’s anxiety and it goes. So here is the new one - I just need some sense kicked in. 6 weeks ago was going camping with a few friends when I suddenly felt a very tickle like heat sensation on the right side of my belly button more closer to my hip. Thought nothing but was definitely aware of it. It would come and go, the funny thing is that when I touch it, it goes away? then started to think about it more and more and started googling. Until I came up with bowel cancers etc. the pain will radiate to my hip, my bum, etc. then the pain started swapping sides. Exact same sensations but on my left side. Weird right? i Then noticed a little light red blood on my bowel and that’s when all hell broke lose. When to my GP, did every test and stool test etc. all came back normal. I know logically it’s hemmorhoids because I suffer from it, but emotionally I’m doubting which is result in constant agonising deep thoughts and symptoms get stronger. two questions, anxiety yea or no? 1. I don’t wake up with any pains, it’s only when I start to look for it, then slowly makes an appearance. 2. Pain that switches sides? Even my GP said that’s physically impossible unless you a had massive bulging disc on both nerves etc. mri ruled that out. please talk some sense to me. I know the logical answer I just need my emotional rational to comprehend with the logical response.

TrudyJane Helping an anxious loved one

How can I help my anxious daughter seek help for her anxiety? She has all the excuses in the world not to seek help. She lives overseas so can’t visit. Should I discuss my concerns with her partner. Advice please.

How can I help my anxious daughter seek help for her anxiety? She has all the excuses in the world not to seek help. She lives overseas so can’t visit. Should I discuss my concerns with her partner. Advice please.