Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

BlueeBird Social anxiety
  • replies: 2

Hi, gosh I am so sick of having this horrible feeling that if I leave the house something bad, embarrassing is going to happen to me. Like people are going to judge me and laugh at me. I just wanted to take my dog for a walk and my anxiety today was ... View more

Hi, gosh I am so sick of having this horrible feeling that if I leave the house something bad, embarrassing is going to happen to me. Like people are going to judge me and laugh at me. I just wanted to take my dog for a walk and my anxiety today was through the roof… I feel like every day it’s a constant battle with myself and my own brain, to do the most simple things in life such as walking my dog on a beautiful day. My brain gives me this idea: “it’s a beautiful day to walk your dog go outside” also my brain:”no don’t go it’s not safe! People will judge you, what if something bad happens to your dog or you? It’s safer to stay at home!” me after deciding to stay at home coz I’m sick and tired of battling with my anxiety… my brain at the end of the day:” wow you are so lazy and unproductive, why didn’t you take the dog for a walk the poor thing probably wanted to get out today you are such a loser” UGHHHHH Im so sick of my own self like stop, every single day is a battle why does it have to be so hard. some days are definitely easier than others, but today sucked.

James d Chronic pain and anxiety
  • replies: 7

Hi newbie here wonder if anyone has had a similar experience that I am having it started around 10 months ago with a sharp stabbing pain right side of lower back happen a few times like when get up from sitting down or getting out of bed when moving ... View more

Hi newbie here wonder if anyone has had a similar experience that I am having it started around 10 months ago with a sharp stabbing pain right side of lower back happen a few times like when get up from sitting down or getting out of bed when moving take your breath away kind of pain ever since that happened I have had aching/ discomfort on my right side ribs front and back that radiates around to right abdomen under ribs it’s worse when sitting in the car feels like something pushing up to rib at front but nothing there have had every test under the sun and all come back ok only a bit of degenerative wear and tear spinal area doctors etc saying it’s muscoskeletal pain had chiro / physio/ massage with only minor relief my anxiety is through the roof it just won’t go away it’s affecting my life dramatically I don’t know what to do if anyone else has similar please reply

Thommo1163 The spiralling feeling is circling again
  • replies: 11

I have thread on why I am here and whats been happening. Right now though I am back living in me head which I need to shake. A friend has offered me a job as a courier driver. I already feel like I let him down because I was supposed to start last Mo... View more

I have thread on why I am here and whats been happening. Right now though I am back living in me head which I need to shake. A friend has offered me a job as a courier driver. I already feel like I let him down because I was supposed to start last Monday but circumstances (see other thread) prevented me. I was supposed to go with him today to run through the job and be shown what to do. He just called to say things are slow so he isn't going out. He then tells me he can probably give me 3hrs of sorting & maybe 3 hrs on the road. I immediately started thinking that he is just doing it to help me out & doesn't really need me. My wife asked what was wrong and I told her and she just said don't worry, he is being a good friend. She could see I wa internalising everything again. For all that is happening between us, i know she loves me, I know she cares for me. Thats her default position and a reason for her wanting space, because she gets drawn back into looking after me mode. Probably why she has reached out to a male friend for comfort, or in my anxious case, a new destination. How can I fail in a courier job. I am a more than capable human being that has built things, been the boss in jobs, run a household for 20yrs bringing up fantastic children. Yet here I am in the garage crying in fear, with my wife walking in and defaulting back to nurture mode telling me everything will be ok. She finally got me to smile and say I have got this. My default was to then tell her I love her. Which puts pressure on her wanting space. Got to get out of me head. Every issue that drags me back there ends up with me defaulting back how important my marriage is to my, how much I love my wife and then how do I cope when/if she does go. Vicious cycle. Time to put some music on, maybe even sing out loud. I have never sung before the other night. When ever it was time to sing happy birthday to the kids I would avoid it by taking a photo, or lighting the candles. I let them down by not being a part of it. 2 nights ago I was wide awake after midnight and decided I would record myself singing love songs that meant something, for my wife and sent them to her. Didn't get the response I was after but i then sent them to my kids and got nothing but praise. I have taken 2 little steps, towards progress alone. I just have to avoid little things taking back into living inside my head, its not a pretty place.

loveyourself9 Health anxiety in lockdown

I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder in 2019, my anxiety has turned into health anxiety, every physical symptom I've become afraid of. I don't know how to differentiate between normal bodily functions or if something is bad. My intrusive... View more

I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder in 2019, my anxiety has turned into health anxiety, every physical symptom I've become afraid of. I don't know how to differentiate between normal bodily functions or if something is bad. My intrusive thoughts have gotten way worse. I got the first dose of the vaccine, and hearing the side effects and all these health related things has made me have this health anxiety. This talk happens literally every day and now it's just always in my head. Recently my dad showed me a video of this guy working out and said he died in his sleep, now I'm scared to fall asleep every day. I even exercised yesterday to help reduce my anxiety, but my brain always finds a way to believe the worst case scenario will happen. I've never seen a therapist because my dad is against it. I got a mental health plan referral in 2019 which took 6 months to get back to me, and when they did my dad said I didn't need it. I was crushed. However my sister saw a therapist in 2020 which helped her a lot, it makes me want to see one more because I've been battling this alone for so long. I always say I'm okay and put on this brave face because I don't want to worry anyone or make the situation worse. Next week I'm going to try and see my university counsellor for the first time to help with my issues, because I know I really need help. It's taken a lot for me to write this and come to term with all these thoughts that stay in my head all the time. Any help or reassurance that I can live through this is appreciated, I just want to feel okay again.

Coco18-8 Big step
  • replies: 5

Hi, a bit of backstory I have had some form of anxiety surround me for the past year. So I decided to take the step and tell my mum that I think I may need to see someone. Her reaction was mild she was ok with it but it was a brief conversation. I ca... View more

Hi, a bit of backstory I have had some form of anxiety surround me for the past year. So I decided to take the step and tell my mum that I think I may need to see someone. Her reaction was mild she was ok with it but it was a brief conversation. I can’t help but feel even worse and more alone then I did before I told her. It took everything in me to tell her and now that I have I kind of regret it.I feel stupid and I feel like she thinks I’m being dramatic. I just really thought a weight would’ve been lifted of my chest yet I feel like more pressure has been placed on me.

n2k12 Wondering if anyone would like to read my back story, and shed some light into what might be going on
  • replies: 5

Hello all, i don't post here very often. I am shy, have communication difficulties, due to the fact i have autism. Today is one of my better days for functioning. so i would like to ask a question. Wondering if anyone would like to read my back story... View more

Hello all, i don't post here very often. I am shy, have communication difficulties, due to the fact i have autism. Today is one of my better days for functioning. so i would like to ask a question. Wondering if anyone would like to read my back story, and shed some light into what might be going on? I have made several txt documents, which contain parts of my childhood trauma and into adulthood. I have been wanting to share these documents with a licenced therapist / psychologist. I Have been unable to get to one, due to my financial,and issues using public transport. and i cannot drive. Its not an easy place to be in. Would anyone be interested in this? are their any professional therpaists / psychologists in these forums? i really am in need of assistance / feedback. I am lost to be honest. For those who may agree to read said documents, i caution you, their are some sensitive things in the documents that may upset some people. please, let me know and thanks!. sorry to ask here. i really do not know who else to share these with and get feedback. I have no family or friends to speak of. Getting mental health support now days is quite difficult, in my case. However, i am working on getting there, via my GP.

Metal_kitty Ruminating and obsessing about a mistake I just made.
  • replies: 15

Hi everyone I'm new. I'm extremely tenses right now. I know my jaw is locked and my shoulders and neck as well. My mind is going a million miles and hour. I cannot distract myself from analysing a mistake I've just made with my new job. MY client has... View more

Hi everyone I'm new. I'm extremely tenses right now. I know my jaw is locked and my shoulders and neck as well. My mind is going a million miles and hour. I cannot distract myself from analysing a mistake I've just made with my new job. MY client has emailed and ask questions which has lead me to recognise my mistake. I've tried to research to figure out the correct answers but am still at a loss. So I forwarded the email on to my boss and told him everything. His replied by saying he would pen me a response in the morning. I cannot figure out if he is annoyed at me or not. I've been with them a month now. Part time. I'm juggling 3 jobs as I've recently separated from my husband and had to move out of the house and now renting. I also quit my major career just before we broke up. I know I can do better then this. I just need to focus and have time to learn all the systems and processes. I want to quit 1 of my jobs but a worried about money and these trying times of covid and lockdowns. Plus I need the references for me to build a house. I'm so annoyed at myself for making this mistake. I've tried the deep breathing and sleep meditation app. I just can't let it go. I need this job. I really like this job. But I don't know what my boss is thinking. Will he fire me? Why didn't I remember that this job was different and had to look at different equipment? There are too many "why's" rattling in my head. I'm so tense. Why am I so stupid???? I really need to do better.

cacti running low on motivation and self-esteem
  • replies: 11

I am having tremendous difficulties getting over failure and unsatisfactory work results. Me being that one hardcore academic who performs poorly in every aspect of life except for academics and arts makes it easy to develop an obsession for academic... View more

I am having tremendous difficulties getting over failure and unsatisfactory work results. Me being that one hardcore academic who performs poorly in every aspect of life except for academics and arts makes it easy to develop an obsession for academic achievements. I've been failing my own standards pretty hard for the past months even though I study for hours. My social anxiety grew exponentially and my odd temper has been driving my friends away. I'm worried that I won't be able to pursue an ideal career if this carries on. I doubt my intellectual abilities every second minute. I always am apologetic towards the people around me whom I've been nasty to so I would avoid them more. I can't sleep nor eat normally. I wake up mid-night and cry in our backyard like . Nothing I do seems to satisfy me as long as my performance isn't perfect. I got another score back today and I am falling behind on ranks, used to be top of the year in chem and bio but currently I am hardly top 10. I loathe myself for having absolutely zero talent in anything besides studying, if I'm like this now what am I going to do in the near future? Am I supposed to give it all up and aim for an ordinary pathway instead because I am just mediocre? I have no one to talk to on these problems as by doing so it'd put pressure on them or in some ways sabotage their mental health. Now I'm lying down not willing to do anything useful, there's another exam coming up and I can't even bring myself to study for it, I'm just so done, it'd be easier if I just cease to exist one day. As a kid I've always dreamed of becoming a pioneer scientist but now it'd sound like a joke. Is it all inside my head or is it already too late

SP22 COVID Anxiety

I am terrified of returning to work after lockdown. It is clear how COVID is being spread. I teach and many of the students do not wear their masks or wear them under their chin. I am scared of going back to the classroom. There is nothing to support... View more

I am terrified of returning to work after lockdown. It is clear how COVID is being spread. I teach and many of the students do not wear their masks or wear them under their chin. I am scared of going back to the classroom. There is nothing to support us out there either from the AEU or anywhere else. There is auditing regarding ventilation but what about students who don't wear masks. What do we do?

Coco18-8 Social anxiety?
  • replies: 4

Hi, this my first ever thread so idk how this will go but we’ll see I guess. I am a highschool student who has been really shy most of my life, but the past year I’ve just felt a huge weight of anxiety come onto me, especially when it comes to social... View more

Hi, this my first ever thread so idk how this will go but we’ll see I guess. I am a highschool student who has been really shy most of my life, but the past year I’ve just felt a huge weight of anxiety come onto me, especially when it comes to socially interacting. I’m fine to order a meal or talk to my friends. But I have massive amounts of anxiety when I go to work, a place I’ve been at for a year. I get nauseous, “stress” rashes and hot flushes everytime I’m about to leave for it. And I guess that obviously can get exhausting for a while. I wouldn’t say I’m necessarily a loner at work but I don’t have a huge group of friends and idk it just makes me anxious for the future , like am I not capable to make more friends? I feel like this kind of sounds stupid but I’ve had anxiety or panic attacks idk which one it is before hand where I loose my breath and I’m in uncontrollable tears and have to calm myself down. But I just feel like I’m in this constant panic and I want to feel relaxed and just want to feel like it’s all going to be ok. Even typing this I’m anxious .