Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Always_Anxious_ Health Anxiety & COVID Vaccine
  • replies: 12

Hello all, I am wondering if anyone is experiencing anything similar. I have always had severe health anxiety after one of my friend's passed away from bowel cancer. I can't shake the feeling that it could happen to me too. However, after receiving t... View more

Hello all, I am wondering if anyone is experiencing anything similar. I have always had severe health anxiety after one of my friend's passed away from bowel cancer. I can't shake the feeling that it could happen to me too. However, after receiving the AstraZeneca COVID vaccine (prior to it being put on hold) every twang or twitch I feel in my body I attribute to being a CSVT clot from the vaccine. I have been speaking to a psychologist about this, however, my anxiety has been getting worse and I am experiencing more physical symptoms of anxiety - the vicious cycle that it is. Does anyone have any coping strategies for a situation like this? Thanks in advance.

Moonchild 11:11 Anxiety without obvious triggers
  • replies: 6

I have recently started having some severe anxiety and panic attacks. The initial trigger for me was getting the vaccine.. I didn’t get sick physically however mentally It took its toll which came with a host of physical symptoms predominately palpit... View more

I have recently started having some severe anxiety and panic attacks. The initial trigger for me was getting the vaccine.. I didn’t get sick physically however mentally It took its toll which came with a host of physical symptoms predominately palpitations and chest pains, rib pains, muscle twitches and shooting pains etc. I have felt pretty good the last couple of days after panic attacks for a wk straight… I went a solid 3 days without palpitations, or overly noticeable pains. however the physical symptoms have returned last night… and I’m genuinely clueless as to why the relapse. I didn’t feel anxious at the time when the chest pains started. I practiced my tools, breath work etc and tried to go to sleep. No dice. There it was, that oh so noticeable heartbeat… I tried my best to get through it but ended up having to get up and take medication and wait for an hr before I was able to sleep. I am still learning a lot about anxiety but this is the part I don’t understand. I can correlate the physical symptoms when actually anxious or stressed but when it comes on for no apparent reason I’m stumped. I sat and cried last night because I felt so defeated. I’d been doing so well and was starting to feel normal and now I’m right back to where I started. I woke up this morning, palpitations as soon as I got up rather than sitting and dwelling I thought I would reach out to my fellow sufferers for some clarity. Is anyone able to explain this part to me? Why the anxiety without obvious triggers can occur? I would be most grateful for any info at this point. xx

Emilyll OCD & Hypochondria
  • replies: 12

Hi everyone, I have not been diagnosed with OCD or hypochondria but I feel like I do…(yet to see a therapist for this) For years, I’ve had 24/7 thoughts about my health and the health of loved ones. Especially the fear of my loved ones dying or being... View more

Hi everyone, I have not been diagnosed with OCD or hypochondria but I feel like I do…(yet to see a therapist for this) For years, I’ve had 24/7 thoughts about my health and the health of loved ones. Especially the fear of my loved ones dying or being diagnosed with a long term health condition. If I don’t do something I constantly ask myself “what if?”… what if I become sick because I didn’t check the cutlery? What if I lose my partner because I didn’t tell him to drive safely? What if I get sick because I washed my hands and then contaminated them again from touching something afterwards? There are so many other examples that I experience every day but my health (especially thinking that I have viruses and diseases in me) is the worst thing I have to deal with mentally and physically every day. I constantly monitor my heart rate and always google my symptoms once I feel “ill” I’m always upset because it is mentally exhausting having to worry about myself and my loved ones like this but I fear that if I stop worrying, everything horrible will happen my brain never switches off and I don’t know where to start or what to tackle first… advice would be greatly appreciated 🧡

hawk127 depressed and anxious but don't feel like I can tell anyone about it
  • replies: 3

I've felt like I've been on and off depressed and had social anxiety and just generalized anxiety (have been diagnosed and took antidepressants for a year) but it never really goes away. I can't really figure out what my problem is. I'm 22 and I thin... View more

I've felt like I've been on and off depressed and had social anxiety and just generalized anxiety (have been diagnosed and took antidepressants for a year) but it never really goes away. I can't really figure out what my problem is. I'm 22 and I think I felt like this since I was 15. I feel like there are so many reasons I could feel like this but whenever I try to talk to people about it I just feel guilty. Even when I spoke to a psychologist after one session they just said I was fine and didn't think I needed help after that. I feel like whenever I do want to talk about my feelings my family doesn't care and my friends or family both don't take it seriously, not even a psych. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I always feel embarrassed about my emotions and afraid I will be invalidated when I have emotions that make other people uncomfortable. I even feel scared writing this post that I will be invalidated for writing this. I think this has a lot to do with my mother who used to basically invalidate everything I used to say, but my mother passed away 2 years ago and it's hard to talk to anyone about the issues we had since she's gone. It feels wrong about every discussing bad things that happened between us when I am supposed to be feeling upset that she is gone, instead of being selfish and still being upset about arguments/fallouts we had, etc, although I am obviously also upset she is gone. It has really affected me a lot. I also am just really bad at making friends in general, my family always teases me that I am socially inept and it feels like it is true. I never really had many friends in school and it feels like I don't have many now, except my boyfriend and one other friend I have had for a long time who I trust. The fact that I am kind of lonely has been really starting to bother me lately and I don't know what to do about it, I feel like I just don't connect to many people. I feel like if I had more of a support network I could deal with some of my issues and I would feel happier more but I just suck at that. I've tried starting new hobbies to meet people, but as I said I have difficulty connecting to people and it just doesn't really work. It feels like I have never quite fit in with a group of people properly.

Anne_Xiety Doc said to skip tetanus booster and now I’m freaking out
  • replies: 3

Hi, Bit of a weird one but I’ll try to keep it brief. I received a cat bite at the weekend, which hasn’t become inflamed or infected. I went to my doctor and he said that it was fine and doesn’t need antibiotics. I was concerned about tetanus and tol... View more

Hi, Bit of a weird one but I’ll try to keep it brief. I received a cat bite at the weekend, which hasn’t become inflamed or infected. I went to my doctor and he said that it was fine and doesn’t need antibiotics. I was concerned about tetanus and told him I have my second Pfizer booked for the end of the week. He said since they don’t like you having two vaccines within a week, to skip the tetanus and get the Pfizer instead (then get a booster in a couple of weeks just to be safe). I trust my doctor but my health anxiety has spiked because of this. I feel like I’m being hyper vigilant to the point of imagining symptoms like jaw pain and stiffness (I can still open my mouth as normal, I don’t have a fever, no muscle aches or other associated symptoms). I’ve read several studies that say most tetanus boosters are unnecessary and that the WHO doesn’t recommend them. Many countries like the U.K. don’t issue them either provided you’ve had the full course as a child (I have). I don’t think I’ve had a booster since though. The doctor didn’t seem worried about it. I’m just wondering if anyone else can share any similar experiences or words of comfort. I have encountered “imagined” symptoms before (like chest pain) that seems to get worse the more you focus on it. Is this normal? Any tips for controlling it? I find when I am distracted things aren’t so bad, but I find it’s very easy go back into “check up” mode without realising. I honestly wish I could just go to sleep for 2 weeks and wake up vaccinated against both with no worries. Thanks for reading

Moonchild 11:11 Accepting anxiety for what it is, physical symptoms too
  • replies: 1

Hi all, I’d love your tips/input on reframing thoughts. I’m currently suffering some pretty severe health anxiety and panic attacks and I fixate a lot on the physical symptoms, predominately the heart palpitations. The shooting pains, tingling lips n... View more

Hi all, I’d love your tips/input on reframing thoughts. I’m currently suffering some pretty severe health anxiety and panic attacks and I fixate a lot on the physical symptoms, predominately the heart palpitations. The shooting pains, tingling lips nose etc I can attribute to anxiety as I’ve experienced them before but the panic is new for me. I keep having what it thoughts that lead me to dr google that leads me to more anxiety and around we go. I’d love to hear your stories on how you stopped these compulsive behaviours and intrusive thoughts and came to a place of accepting that you have anxiety and not some horrible diagnosis that the drs are missing or not looking for. How does one break these habits? I’ve thought about restricting myself for a day and seeing if it makes a difference. I go between checking my pulse constantly, dr googling symptoms and then googling anxiety symptoms to try and reassure myself but I know it’s not helpful. My partner jokingly asked if she needed to confiscate my phone but I’m genuinely curious as to whether that may actually be beneficial… just to see if the symptoms subside however I am concerned that I will continue to focus on them and thus bring on that anxiety anyway anyway I went on a little tangent there, any helpful strategies would be much appreciated xx

Budgiebird Need advice over ‘religious’ support which is not helpful to me
  • replies: 9

I suffer with severe anxiety and panic as well as several chronic health conditions. I live with my elderly mother. She is a kind, sweet woman but obsessed with religion. This is not an anti religion post. Although I no longer feel I have a faith I a... View more

I suffer with severe anxiety and panic as well as several chronic health conditions. I live with my elderly mother. She is a kind, sweet woman but obsessed with religion. This is not an anti religion post. Although I no longer feel I have a faith I absolutely respect anyone who does. My problem is when I get upset with anxiety or feel desperate over my chronic illnesses her response is always something like ‘You need to turn back to God’ or ‘ Do you know the next life is forever so maybe you need to talk to a priest’ . I know she believes this and she is not deliberately saying it to upset me but it makes me more anxious and stressed when her only words of ‘support’ relate back to religion. What can I do ?

Nervybella Work, anxiety… wanting advice please
  • replies: 23

Hi all I feel like every time I post here it’s a work related issue for me. I’m starting to see a pattern… anyway, I started a new job around one month ago now. It’s in a brand new field so all new to me. The company is amazing, it’s a great culture ... View more

Hi all I feel like every time I post here it’s a work related issue for me. I’m starting to see a pattern… anyway, I started a new job around one month ago now. It’s in a brand new field so all new to me. The company is amazing, it’s a great culture with great people.. the only thing is I don’t know if the role itself is right for me I’m only touching on the tip of the iceberg with the role as I’m still new but already I feel out of my depth. I can see myself getting burnt out in the future as the job requires some big hours and a lot of work! I don’t know what to do as I feel like this is the perfect organisation and culture for me to work in, but the role itself perhaps isn’t I come home and my brain can’t switch off, I’m doubting myself and have lost my appetite due to the anxiety I’d love some advice as I’m just feeling very confused and my anxiety has been bad lately with thoughts running wild! best, Bella

Rainbowpolly Anxiety eating away at me
  • replies: 14

Hi I have been suffering with alot of Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Insomnia alot in the last 2 years, but the last 4 weeks have exploded for me. I lost my best mate and yes he was a dog, I know some might not think this is important he had a 18 month batt... View more

Hi I have been suffering with alot of Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Insomnia alot in the last 2 years, but the last 4 weeks have exploded for me. I lost my best mate and yes he was a dog, I know some might not think this is important he had a 18 month battle with Cancer and just like humans I took care of him, it was very hard on me. Then I was told that my work hours will be reduced to 1/2 of what I used to do, I know others have lost alot more but this has meant I'm at home now with my thoughts alot more, I dont have an overly supportive partner and my kids are older and take care of themselves so Im not mummy to any babies. To compond my anxiety I have a friend who obsessively sends me alot of information on Covid Vaccines and the negitive affects it has aswell as alot of other Covid related video and media, this has now made me very anxious about getting the vaccine and the Panic Attacks are coming daily and sometimes 2 or 3 times, I don't sleep without the aid of over the counter medication as my Dr won't give me anything alse, I dont mind this, and I barely eat because of all this to add another level I fell walking, I do this to clear my head, and now im in a moonboot for 4 to 6 weeks, which means I cannot walk to zone out. I feel like its a hopeless and have lost all interest in everything I used to love cooking and took pride in my appearance and my home now I just don't care, I'm angry scared and so very confused and the panic attacks, lack of sleep, stress headaches and anixety it taking its toll on my friendships and relationships with most people around me.... Thank you for reading my ridiculously long post im so sorry it is so long....