Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

PolyVacuum Feeling bad more often and don’t trust my instincts
  • replies: 3

I’ve recently broken up with my girlfriend and trying to meet people on dating apps. I noticed that after I matched with someone, if I really liked their profile, I would start feeling anxious and worried that I would say the wrong thing and get reje... View more

I’ve recently broken up with my girlfriend and trying to meet people on dating apps. I noticed that after I matched with someone, if I really liked their profile, I would start feeling anxious and worried that I would say the wrong thing and get rejected. A friend of mine suggested that I should try and seek the fear of rejection feeling as shying away from feeling bad means that I will tend to avoid things that make me feel bad even if they are good for me. I’m trying to apply this approach to other areas of my life when something bad happens to not shy away from feeling bad and sitting in the feeling. I feel like I might have a lot of instinctual defensive mechanisms that stop me from feeling bad (e.g. rationalising things or telling myself I don’t feel bad) and as a result have less faith in my instinctual responses. I’m feeling bad more often and feel more lost when I’m feeling bad. I don’t really know if I have a question but thought it might be helpful to post here and see if anyone had anything they wanted to share. Thanks in advance.

Jarred28 Cant handle it anymore

I cant stop shaking and panicking constantly. On the verge of panic attacks constantly. Ive had them before in the past. Been having a lot of trouble sleeping. I went and visited a doctor and they said they wont give me anything to sleep so i'm livin... View more

I cant stop shaking and panicking constantly. On the verge of panic attacks constantly. Ive had them before in the past. Been having a lot of trouble sleeping. I went and visited a doctor and they said they wont give me anything to sleep so i'm living off of 3 hours sleep every-night which is affecting my work and daily life in general. I feel so weak all the time. I know this is probably all just caused by anxiety but i'm honestly not sure whats causing it. Im booked in to see a psychiatrist and psychologist but not until the new year and i'm not sure how i'm going to last til then. If anyone has some advice or anything to help that would be appreciated, thanks

David_C1 Any experiences with medication or treatment for anxiety and panic attacks?
  • replies: 2

I have suffered for over nine months with terrible anxiety and panic attacks. I have had enough. I can't take much more. My friend says that I should go to my doctor and insist that he put me on a low dose of a medication such as benzodiazepine for l... View more

I have suffered for over nine months with terrible anxiety and panic attacks. I have had enough. I can't take much more. My friend says that I should go to my doctor and insist that he put me on a low dose of a medication such as benzodiazepine for long term treatment. I know these can be addictive but I need to have some sort of life. I have early onset Parkinson's so I'm worried for the future anyway. Anyone out there who would recommend this or another treatment? Waiting on your response. Cheers.

Avery_lam I’ve have had anxiety for 21 years now.
  • replies: 7

I’ve had my first anxiety attack when I was about 22. And now after 20 years, it’s so bad I don’t know what to do. I’ve tried seeing Psycologist over the years and also 2 psychiatrist. At the end of the day, I think I’ve tried a few different ways bu... View more

I’ve had my first anxiety attack when I was about 22. And now after 20 years, it’s so bad I don’t know what to do. I’ve tried seeing Psycologist over the years and also 2 psychiatrist. At the end of the day, I think I’ve tried a few different ways but anxiety keeps coming back and each time, stronger, harder and heavier. I basically have light attacks and once in a while, very heavy attacks. I avoid so many things and find safety nets all over the place just to prevent panic attacks. I’m now to the point that I can’t really travel further than up there road, and really afraid to be alone at home. I’ve come onto this website and this forum hoping that I can find a way out. Not only but seeking help, maybe my experience can help others prevent anxiety from getting to my level. I still have hope. I’m still a fighter, but it’s one tough battle. I hope someone out there may experience similar. May have over come this long battle or maybe I can also in return help and share my year though this disorder.

Birdy05 Experiences with GP
  • replies: 12

Hi! I am just curious as to others experiences with their GP discussing anxiety and OCD and treatment? I have just seen a GP for the first time regarding my mental health - I have never discussed this with any GP at all - and the outcome of a 15min c... View more

Hi! I am just curious as to others experiences with their GP discussing anxiety and OCD and treatment? I have just seen a GP for the first time regarding my mental health - I have never discussed this with any GP at all - and the outcome of a 15min conversation was medication. I’m definitely not anti medication however I feel that in my case it was a bit of a rushed decision by the GP and there were no conversations about trying lifestyles changes or anything first - only that I should see a psychologist once we move in a month which I am 100% open to! I guess my question is should I be going back and expressing my hesitancy and seeing if we can start off differently or should I trust her judgement with it? I feel like it’s such a big decision to start medication based off a 15min conversation with a GP I am not familiar with! Others thoughts and experiences?

hiiamsam Advice?

I get anxious talking to people especially about my mental health issues and the thought of speaking to a GP to get a referral for a psych terrifies me. I have been recommended to get regular support from one person. I was wondering if there are any ... View more

I get anxious talking to people especially about my mental health issues and the thought of speaking to a GP to get a referral for a psych terrifies me. I have been recommended to get regular support from one person. I was wondering if there are any other options that are not independent psychologists.

brobej15 Adjustment Disorder with Anxiety and Depression
  • replies: 7

Hi all, I am in need of help. I can't seem to find where I can express this. I've had anxiety and depression before - through a few cycles in life. This year alone, I started a new job (moved up into a leadership role) at a new school (I'm a teacher)... View more

Hi all, I am in need of help. I can't seem to find where I can express this. I've had anxiety and depression before - through a few cycles in life. This year alone, I started a new job (moved up into a leadership role) at a new school (I'm a teacher), got married, and currently trying to find a house to buy because we have to move out of the one we have now. On top of all the administration of life (being healthy, managing life). The older I get the higher the highs and the lower the lows. I just hope this makes sense. I started reading up on adjustment disorders and anxiety - I have been told I have adjustment issues by a psychologist. What have people done to manage adjustment issues? I just don't want to go into depression completely again.

44Max44 Anxiety stopping me from being able to celebrate my best mate's birthday
  • replies: 4

So it's my mate's birthday party today but I've found that all I've been doing for like a week leading up to it is trying to find any reasonable excuse not to go to it without making me look bad. He's my best mate and I mean all the best by him but I... View more

So it's my mate's birthday party today but I've found that all I've been doing for like a week leading up to it is trying to find any reasonable excuse not to go to it without making me look bad. He's my best mate and I mean all the best by him but I am very bad in social situations and there are 30+ people going to the party that I don't know whatsoever and if I'm being honest I don't really want to get to know them because I already struggle to keep the few friends I currently have. The only way I find these parties bearable is if I drink heaps and get wasted but I'm not a big drinker either, I'll probably get drunk once a year if that. I love small gatherings where it's just a small group of friends I know with maybe 2 or 3 people I don't know but having 30+ people I don't know at the party is super overwhelming for me and I just find myself not enjoying myself at all until I'm blackout drunk and don't remember anything the next day, which in itself gives me anxiety because I don't have any idea what I did when I was blackout drunk. I don't know. I want to celebrate my mate's birthday and make him happy but I just don't find his way of celebrating fun. He's a very extroverted person and I'm very introverted. We're like straight up polar opposites when it comes to how we socialize. It's weird too because he's told me that he thinks he's very awkward in social situations too but I don't see it. He's actually the type of guy I aspire to be when it comes to social interactions. I guess that just goes to show that you never really know what's going on with somebody just from their outward appearance. I want to be a good friend to him but I also don't want to have to be blackout drunk to do so. I just feel so guilty if I don't show up and I can't think of any excuse that would be good enough and not just look like I'm trying to ghost him. I've already been growing distant to him throughout this year and I feel like me not showing up to his birthday would be the last nail in the coffin. I almost just want to send him a link to this post to show him how I really feel because it's hard for me to have heart to hearts with people but I also feel like that could backfire on me. Anxiety sucks, man. It's controlling my life, dictating the stuff I do, effecting my relationships and work, it isn't fun.

Petal22 From someone who suffered OCD and recovered
  • replies: 14

I’m experienced in knowing what Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is and how it feels to have this condition I suffered with this condition and now I’m recovered thanks to the correct treatment from health professionals. I want to share my experiences in... View more

I’m experienced in knowing what Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is and how it feels to have this condition I suffered with this condition and now I’m recovered thanks to the correct treatment from health professionals. I want to share my experiences in how it feels to have OCD and to let you know there is HOPE that you can recover aswell if you are experiencing it.. I was diagnosed with OCD by a psychiatrist…….. for me when I had OCD my intrusive thoughts seemed irrational but “ felt” very real…… As an example of OCD and how the sufferer feels: you can be driving a car and pass a pedestrian….. your intrusive thought will say “ what if I ran that person over” a person with OCD will experience severe anxiety that will accompany this thought…. with many scenarios running through their mind the OCD sufferer gets fixed on these thoughts/ images……. the OCD sufferer feels the urge to turn around the car and go and check in actually fact to see if they did run the pedestrian over…… they go back and check the pedestrian isn’t there but they will still constantly worry about it and have severe anxiety over it … with many what if s running through their mind….. because the sufferer “feels” extreme anxiety over this scenario the feelings seem very real…….. But to someone who doesn’t have OCD they will have the intrusive thought that they may run over the pedestrian….. but that’s we’re it stays as a thought and they forget about it… Some people with OCD may have intrusive thoughts to do something eg pick the correct coloured sock if they don’t they have the thoughts of “something bad will happen to someone they love if they don’t select the correct coloured sock” this thought is accompanied by extreme anxiety……. This condition is a very exhausting debilitating condition and it’s a very cruel disorder …. some people who suffer with this condition feel as though they are going crazy….. it’s a horrible disorder to have. OCD sufferers can feel “ stuck” scared, fearful and very exhausted. People with OCD perform compulsions to try to bring down the severity of their anxiety…. Eg seek reassurance, google search symptoms, check things over and over again…….ect Their anxiety comes down for a little while but it starts back up soon after because OCD is a vicious cycle. OCD is treatable.. I will explain in my next thread

Frankie94 Health Anxiety taking over

Hi all, I'm a little apprehensive to post this. I have had anxiety for as long as I can remember on many levels(in my 50's now). I have never really dealt with it, but it is my health anxiety that has always been the worst and lately it has spiralled... View more

Hi all, I'm a little apprehensive to post this. I have had anxiety for as long as I can remember on many levels(in my 50's now). I have never really dealt with it, but it is my health anxiety that has always been the worst and lately it has spiralled out of control and I feel on the verge of losing it! Over the years I have imagined I have every medical condition possible, and lately I've visited lots of doctors to rule things out and of course everything always comes back negative. I get relief for a short period but then a new symptom presents itself and then it starts all over again. I am a very fit person with great nutrition but this anxiety is killing me. At my last doctors visit I was prescribed some anti anxiety medication but I just can't take it. The thought of taking it and the possible side effects has nearly sent me into a panic attack!! I know I need help as this is becoming all consuming for me. From anyone's experience can I get through this without medication..is it possible with just counselling??