Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Andromalius Health anxiety about MND and physical symptoms
  • replies: 5

Hi all, This is my first post on the forums. I'm currently a high school student and for the past 2 weeks I've been dealing with what I think is health anxiety. It started with tendonitis in my hand and lower leg from table tennis a month ago, then I... View more

Hi all, This is my first post on the forums. I'm currently a high school student and for the past 2 weeks I've been dealing with what I think is health anxiety. It started with tendonitis in my hand and lower leg from table tennis a month ago, then I made the mistake of googling feelings of weakness in limbs and MND came up. Since then I've been absolutely wrecked, I can't stay focused or get any sleep and everything seems to be exaggerated by my mind. I can't tell what is a real injury and what my mind is making up. Some things include minor twitching on legs and arms, feelings of weakness and in certain muscles which comes and goes and a slight soreness in tendons. Note that all of which started after my spiral into this hole. I saw a physiotherapist and they confirmed it was tendonitis but my brain is still tormenting me with what ifs. I can't sleep or do much of anything, and all the people around me have said it's just stress. Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing? I'm on the verge of having a breakdown and it doesn't help that it's crunch time at exams.

Bella001 I feel like i just need a friend and someone to talk to
  • replies: 13

Hi, i feel like im struggling right now quite alot. i dont really have any friends or people to talk to though. I feel like i just use the helplines alot but i could use some peer support if anyone can help

Hi, i feel like im struggling right now quite alot. i dont really have any friends or people to talk to though. I feel like i just use the helplines alot but i could use some peer support if anyone can help

Moonchild 11:11 Physical symptoms do they ever leave?
  • replies: 3

Hey beautiful people, I have posted a few times in the last few months since I began having panic attacks. You have all helped immensely by sharing your knowledge with me. I have been on medication for about 6 weeks now and I believe it is starting t... View more

Hey beautiful people, I have posted a few times in the last few months since I began having panic attacks. You have all helped immensely by sharing your knowledge with me. I have been on medication for about 6 weeks now and I believe it is starting to make a difference. I haven’t had a panic attack in just over a month when I was previously having them multiple times a day so that’s amazing! I was wondering about the physical symptoms though. I have continued to experience intermittent muscle twitching, tingles and some shooting pains in my chest and back. I know everyone is different but is this something I can expect to stick around for a while? I’m not feeling anxious anymore… and I don’t feel like I’m anticipating them when they happen but I notice them when they do. I read that medication can cause them but I do feel like they were there before that, it’s hard to remember to be honest it all seems like a bit of a blur. Thank you in advance for your help, much love xx

Noskillz New job anxiety and depression
  • replies: 7

Hi I left a position last week that I had held for over 9 years due to bullying tactics from the new store manager. I accepted a position the same day from a store that was bigger and much more fast paced in my field of expertise. I commenced the pos... View more

Hi I left a position last week that I had held for over 9 years due to bullying tactics from the new store manager. I accepted a position the same day from a store that was bigger and much more fast paced in my field of expertise. I commenced the position 4 days ago. Since starting the job, I have been experiencing high levels of anxiety, fear, loss of appetite, panic and depression. I am losing sleep and feel so lost. I am not sure what to do. I am feeling that maybe I accepted this position too fast and did not deal with damage from my previous workplace. Part of me is wanting to push through this horrible mental issues, while another part of me wants to be fair to the employer and step aside for a suitable candidate. If I stay in this position., I am going to need to update a lot of my learning as my previous workplace did not provide product training at all. If I did remove myself from this position, I do feel that it would allow me time to sort some of trauma that carried with me from previous job. I am so confused and very unsure of what to do. I would appreciate any advice that can help. Finding it hard to think beyond feeling trapped, scared and panicked.

Rupes79 Help with OCD
  • replies: 14

Hi Everyone I’ve been working with a psychologist to overcome an OCD issue and it’s been pretty heavy work. Recently we’ve got to a point where I’ve been able to break the cycle and to a large extent stop the behaviour but oddly I’ve never felt worse... View more

Hi Everyone I’ve been working with a psychologist to overcome an OCD issue and it’s been pretty heavy work. Recently we’ve got to a point where I’ve been able to break the cycle and to a large extent stop the behaviour but oddly I’ve never felt worse. My anxiety is heightened and at time my mood is very low to the point I feel like crying. She has my writing a daily journal about how I feel but the last couple of days I’ve felt so bad I haven’t even been able to write about. It’s too depressing to express. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? If so, what advice can you offer?

Butterfly20 Anxiety or something else. Strange physical feelings
  • replies: 4

I am not sure what to do and what it is that I am feeling. Firstly I want to mention that I have been battling with anxiety and depression for 10 + years. I notice my anxiety gets triggered easily and i have a constant fear of making wrong choices an... View more

I am not sure what to do and what it is that I am feeling. Firstly I want to mention that I have been battling with anxiety and depression for 10 + years. I notice my anxiety gets triggered easily and i have a constant fear of making wrong choices and dont feel good enough amongst other things. I am also generally low in energy. However, over the past 4 months I have noticed severe fatigue, brain fogs, problems with memory and focus. After lunch i feel so sleepy and by 8pm i cant physically do anything as my muscles feel so fatigued. Today especially I became concerned when I lost orientation while driving back from work. I knew what street I was on but I did not recognise it at all. I also get lot of body aches at night. I am only 37 so this is starting to worry me. My GP did bloods and im not lacking in any vitamins/minerals. I started exercise thinking it might help. Maybe it takes time.

Susanna4568 Feeling extremely anxious when parents fight
  • replies: 7

Hi there, I've posted here a few times but am still relatively new so I hope I'm posting this in the right thread I'm in my twenties; however, I still feel highly anxious whenever my parents fight. My parents work long hours (they're shift workers) s... View more

Hi there, I've posted here a few times but am still relatively new so I hope I'm posting this in the right thread I'm in my twenties; however, I still feel highly anxious whenever my parents fight. My parents work long hours (they're shift workers) so they are often exhausted and stressed, and tend to take out these feelings on each other. Although I know that their fights don't involve me, that they aren't my fault, and that I should just stay out of it, I still feel really upset and anxious whenever they argue (even though I don't get involved). I almost always end up crying and panicking, and I feel so anxious/unhappy that it takes me a few hours to calm down and re-focus on whatever it is I want to do (eg. uni work). I worry so much that my breathing is impacted and I have to try and calm myself down. I don't know if it's because they argued a lot when I was a kid and therefore their fights trigger the same emotions in me now as an adult. I would also like to point out that my parents are very supportive of me and they always apologise to me (and each other) afterwards, but I still seem to feel very distressed every time it happens. If anyone could give me some advice, or if anyone has experienced the same thing and just wants to reply, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Bearzy9_ The thing I enjoy most triggers my anxiety
  • replies: 6

I’m a rugby union player, I love playing its one of the things I enjoy most but every time I go to play I get really anxious. It’s earthed I’m worried about letting my team down or that my family won’t be proud of how I play, or that I’m gonna get se... View more

I’m a rugby union player, I love playing its one of the things I enjoy most but every time I go to play I get really anxious. It’s earthed I’m worried about letting my team down or that my family won’t be proud of how I play, or that I’m gonna get seriously injured cause I have this slight bruise on my knee that hurts so maybe because of that it will cause a serious injury. sometimes I think it would just be easier to not play but I love playing so much, it’s just every time I go to play I feel like I’m carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders. It’s all this pressure to play well and to not get injured, to be a great player and to continue getting better but I feel as if I can’t live up to that.

worrier13 Health Anxiety/OCD
  • replies: 4

I have always been a worrier but as I’ve gotten older and particularly after I’ve had kids, my anxiety around my health and my children’s health is through the roof. Several years ago, I had an asbestos scare after some sanding I had done on our gara... View more

I have always been a worrier but as I’ve gotten older and particularly after I’ve had kids, my anxiety around my health and my children’s health is through the roof. Several years ago, I had an asbestos scare after some sanding I had done on our garage. After getting it tested, I was informed it was not asbestos sheeting. Every now and then the OCD thoughts return with constant What Ifs. What if they used a different material to the one that was tested (all panels appeared identical before painting). What if they got the test wrong? Nothing suggests it was asbestos. No markings on the sheets, my house being built several years after they started phasing it out, a builder telling me it’s not and of course two tests now (outside and inside the garage, both no asbestos detected). I think it stems from the guilt of not being more aware at the time and potentially putting my family at risk. And I now have these constant thoughts questioning it all and needing to reassure myself. It’s a vicious cycle that’s affecting my life massively. Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them?

Browneyedgirl82 Son needs support
  • replies: 12

Hi, I've been trying to find avenues to get my 11 year old son support for the past couple of years. He is diagnosed as ASD1 although I believe it to be closer to a Level 2 due to social skills and working memory issues. Also ADHD but this is mainly ... View more

Hi, I've been trying to find avenues to get my 11 year old son support for the past couple of years. He is diagnosed as ASD1 although I believe it to be closer to a Level 2 due to social skills and working memory issues. Also ADHD but this is mainly due to the lack of memory and focus rather than hyperactivity. Over the past couple of years his Anxiety has increased immensely. Along with it has come self esteem issues, self hatred, lack of motivation and now he has started punching himself in the head when he gets upset. I have been on a wait list since Sept 2020 to get him into a Pediatrician. He has been to see 2 psychologists who were not helpful. I feel he needs medication for the Anxiety as a temporary measure while we find him a suitable therapist, however without a pediatrician we cannot get this. My question is, where do we turn for support now? Funds are limited as we do not have NDIS. I'm worried that if we can't get him support soon it will take a very long time to fix the damage currently being done.