Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

PITA Stress and angry
  • replies: 1

Hi a'll I'll just find out from my doctor that I have a anxiety and I'm really nervous that my wife will leave me I'll been married for 6 years young couple and 2 kids.. I'll been stress at work for a couple month and lately have and argument with my... View more

Hi a'll I'll just find out from my doctor that I have a anxiety and I'm really nervous that my wife will leave me I'll been married for 6 years young couple and 2 kids.. I'll been stress at work for a couple month and lately have and argument with my wife like everyday and I'll lost at her..I'll came home from work really tired and she be home from work too and she be tired too so if we have any argue i cant hold back when I'm angry and I wasn'tlike that before this happen in 2 years and most of the time I'll get angry at her and is not a even a big deal and I just give it to her but I'll never laid my hand on her but she scared when I'm angry and I hated myself for it I'll know that not who I' am I really need a help to save my marriage I really love her and my 2 beautiful kids

Jim2 OCD and Job Interviews
  • replies: 3

Hi All, I need some tips on managing my ocd when it comes to job interviews. I tend to find it hard to look into the interviewers eyes and maintain eye contact without being awkward. I also tend to look down and sometimes if it is a lady interviewer,... View more

Hi All, I need some tips on managing my ocd when it comes to job interviews. I tend to find it hard to look into the interviewers eyes and maintain eye contact without being awkward. I also tend to look down and sometimes if it is a lady interviewer, my mind keeps obsessing over if I looked at her inappropriately. This is my peripheral vision ocd and worried I'm looking at someone's privates. I need help.

Susanna4568 Health anxiety is taking over my life
  • replies: 7

Hi everyone, I almost feel silly typing this as I know it's probably just health anxiety but I have been really struggling recently. For the past few weeks I've had muscle twitches in my legs when lying in bed at night. Although I just want to dismis... View more

Hi everyone, I almost feel silly typing this as I know it's probably just health anxiety but I have been really struggling recently. For the past few weeks I've had muscle twitches in my legs when lying in bed at night. Although I just want to dismiss it as anxiety, I'm worried that it's something more serious like MS or some neurodegenerative disorder; however, I'm too scared to go to the doctor about it in case my worst fears are actually true. I also worry that by going to the doctor I am just reassurance-seeking which will not be helpful for my anxiety in the long-run. I've had some OCD-like behaviours since I was a child and so I end up being stuck in this cycle of worrying, ruminating (googling, checking to see how my body and legs feel), reassurance seeking, and then moving on to my next worry/obsession. It's so hard to find a balance between giving in to my anxiety/OCD and also making sure my physical health is okay. This is definitely one of my worst themes I've had in a while. It's all I can think about. It distracts me from my work and makes it hard to focus. I should also mention that due to my anxiety I've had a pretty stressful few months and I'm hoping to see my psychologist soon, but I might not be able to get in to see them for a while so I have no idea what to do in the mean time. Sorry for this long post, Thank you!

Angsty Anxiety and Income Protection Insurance
  • replies: 9

I have "own occupation" income insurance and have been on claim since 2016 for a depressive disorder and on-going anxiety, that is chronic when I'm under stress. My Psychiatrist has consistently said I cannot yet return to my pre-disability role and ... View more

I have "own occupation" income insurance and have been on claim since 2016 for a depressive disorder and on-going anxiety, that is chronic when I'm under stress. My Psychiatrist has consistently said I cannot yet return to my pre-disability role and my Psychologist has said I should NEVER return to that role due to the stress levels involved. It was however suggested to me that it may be helpful for me to return to some sort of part time work that was relatively stress free to get some routine back into my life. My employer has been very supportive and created a new 'stress free' role for me for 10 hours per week. This is a much "lesser" role than my pre-disability role and not a role I ever wanted to do on a full time basis, it was just intended to get me out of the house and back into some sort of normal life. My insurer is now pushing me to take this new role on for more days/hours, which I do not wish to do. Nobody wants to take a massive down step in their career. I was sold 'own occupation' insurance on the basis that if I couldn't perform my pre-disability role, I wouldn't have to work at all if I wasn't able to perform the duties of my previous role. Now the insurers are trying to tell me, and I quote: "Your Income Protection is essentially own occupation cover as you are protecting your income in the event that you can't perform the duties of that occupation. No matter what occupation you return to when you are medically able, you will always earn income as though you are performing your original occupation. There are no Income Protection policies that will continue to pay full benefits if you are medically capable of returning to work." My interpretation of this, is that if a surgeon could not perform surgery anymore, but could work in a gas station, that he would be forced to work five days a week in a gas station. He would be paid by the insurance company for the difference between his role as a surgeon versus his role as a gas station attendant, but how depressing to go from one role to the other. I have contacted a solicitor and he believes I can't be forced into 'any' occupation if I cannot perform my 'pre-disability' occupation. But I see a legal battle coming. I don't want to be forced into a menial job on a full time basis, when I was sold 'own occupation' insurance (at a much higher premium) on the assurance that if I couldn't perform my pre-disability role I wouldn't be forced to take on a lesser job. Anyone been through this?

Banksy92 Tired and anxious adapting to life after lockdown
  • replies: 5

Not sure if anyone else feels like this, but this week I realised I was really run down. My anxiety has been bubbling away in the background during the week but I've been so busy with social events, a new job and catch up appointments now I've come o... View more

Not sure if anyone else feels like this, but this week I realised I was really run down. My anxiety has been bubbling away in the background during the week but I've been so busy with social events, a new job and catch up appointments now I've come out of lockdown that I haven't really had time to address it. Now it's Sunday I finally have a moment to breathe and I feel awful. I'm exhausted physically and mentally, my thought patterns are more negative/snappy, and my stomach is bloated and sore (stress levels are a big trigger for my IBS). I've also gained a bit of weight in lockdown/over the past year or so and so lots of my clothes aren't fitting and it's getting me down. I was tempted today to just go shopping and get myself some new stuff that's comfortable and fits (which I do need to do) but as I was so tired, I took a moment to tune in and see if that was the best for me. I decided against the shopping spree and instead opted for some self-care at home. I did some journaling to get the anxious thoughts out of my head and practice some self compassion - this is something I've been working on with my psych. I also attempted a guided meditation but I fell asleep, hah. I've booked a few yoga classes this week ahead too. Anyway, I just really wanted to share how I've been feeling to see if anyone else can relate to this post-lockdown fatigue? I'm really grateful to be able to get out and about, so I am trying to take full advantage of it when I'm invited places, but I think it's been a big shock to my system.

Darkshadow9591 Any suggestions?

I may have anxiety and depression (I did a lot of online tests that all came out as sever anxiety and depression but am still not 100% sure) but only told a school friend which isn't helping but only making it worse. She doesn't care about me harming... View more

I may have anxiety and depression (I did a lot of online tests that all came out as sever anxiety and depression but am still not 100% sure) but only told a school friend which isn't helping but only making it worse. She doesn't care about me harming my self or my feelings and never asks if I'm ok even when it's obvious I'm not. I was gonna ditch her as she hasn't been the person I expected, but she might tell people things like my depression and anxiety so any ideas, I'm really stuck?

Andromalius Health anxiety about MND and physical symptoms

Hi all, This is my first post on the forums. I'm currently a high school student and for the past 2 weeks I've been dealing with what I think is health anxiety. It started with tendonitis in my hand and lower leg from table tennis a month ago, then I... View more

Hi all, This is my first post on the forums. I'm currently a high school student and for the past 2 weeks I've been dealing with what I think is health anxiety. It started with tendonitis in my hand and lower leg from table tennis a month ago, then I made the mistake of googling feelings of weakness in limbs and MND came up. Since then I've been absolutely wrecked, I can't stay focused or get any sleep and everything seems to be exaggerated by my mind. I can't tell what is a real injury and what my mind is making up. Some things include minor twitching on legs and arms, feelings of weakness and in certain muscles which comes and goes and a slight soreness in tendons. Note that all of which started after my spiral into this hole. I saw a physiotherapist and they confirmed it was tendonitis but my brain is still tormenting me with what ifs. I can't sleep or do much of anything, and all the people around me have said it's just stress. Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing? I'm on the verge of having a breakdown and it doesn't help that it's crunch time at exams.

Bella001 I feel like i just need a friend and someone to talk to
  • replies: 13

Hi, i feel like im struggling right now quite alot. i dont really have any friends or people to talk to though. I feel like i just use the helplines alot but i could use some peer support if anyone can help

Hi, i feel like im struggling right now quite alot. i dont really have any friends or people to talk to though. I feel like i just use the helplines alot but i could use some peer support if anyone can help

Moonchild 11:11 Physical symptoms do they ever leave?
  • replies: 3

Hey beautiful people, I have posted a few times in the last few months since I began having panic attacks. You have all helped immensely by sharing your knowledge with me. I have been on medication for about 6 weeks now and I believe it is starting t... View more

Hey beautiful people, I have posted a few times in the last few months since I began having panic attacks. You have all helped immensely by sharing your knowledge with me. I have been on medication for about 6 weeks now and I believe it is starting to make a difference. I haven’t had a panic attack in just over a month when I was previously having them multiple times a day so that’s amazing! I was wondering about the physical symptoms though. I have continued to experience intermittent muscle twitching, tingles and some shooting pains in my chest and back. I know everyone is different but is this something I can expect to stick around for a while? I’m not feeling anxious anymore… and I don’t feel like I’m anticipating them when they happen but I notice them when they do. I read that medication can cause them but I do feel like they were there before that, it’s hard to remember to be honest it all seems like a bit of a blur. Thank you in advance for your help, much love xx

Noskillz New job anxiety and depression
  • replies: 7

Hi I left a position last week that I had held for over 9 years due to bullying tactics from the new store manager. I accepted a position the same day from a store that was bigger and much more fast paced in my field of expertise. I commenced the pos... View more

Hi I left a position last week that I had held for over 9 years due to bullying tactics from the new store manager. I accepted a position the same day from a store that was bigger and much more fast paced in my field of expertise. I commenced the position 4 days ago. Since starting the job, I have been experiencing high levels of anxiety, fear, loss of appetite, panic and depression. I am losing sleep and feel so lost. I am not sure what to do. I am feeling that maybe I accepted this position too fast and did not deal with damage from my previous workplace. Part of me is wanting to push through this horrible mental issues, while another part of me wants to be fair to the employer and step aside for a suitable candidate. If I stay in this position., I am going to need to update a lot of my learning as my previous workplace did not provide product training at all. If I did remove myself from this position, I do feel that it would allow me time to sort some of trauma that carried with me from previous job. I am so confused and very unsure of what to do. I would appreciate any advice that can help. Finding it hard to think beyond feeling trapped, scared and panicked.