Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

AUSb Health Anxiety - Relapsed Fears
  • replies: 4

For the last 18 months I have had increasingly worsening health anxiety ranging from pains in my chest causing ER visits thinking I’d had a heart attack to blurry vision causing optometrist visits because I thought I was going blind. Mid last year my... View more

For the last 18 months I have had increasingly worsening health anxiety ranging from pains in my chest causing ER visits thinking I’d had a heart attack to blurry vision causing optometrist visits because I thought I was going blind. Mid last year my GP put me in touch with a mental health counsellor and I spoke to him up until early this year about different cognitive behavioural therapy methods that he thought could help me. CBT didn’t work for me but talking helped and things eventually started to get better by themselves around Christmas and as such I stopped seeing the counsellor. One of the main fears I had struggled with a lot last year was of airborne carcinogens, I had an incident at work that involved me spraying roundup without the correct PPE and it caused me a great deal of stress and crippled my ability to function for weeks. Looking back on it now I know that it is extremely unlikely to have caused any issues as it’s only prolonged constant exposure to roundup that poses serious health risks and people spray it in their backyards etc without masks everyday, never the less at the time I was petrified and still go through spurts of worrying about it. Recently I have accepted a new job and am due to start soon, the new job will require I move an hour from home to my girlfriends house. As the move has gotten closer and closer I have begun to have worries, predominately again about airborne carcinogens and my partner's house. I am finding myself in the same position as I was with the roundup and am petrified of the house I am moving to containing asbestos, so much so that I have had a building inspector look and take samples to test for asbestos, which he indicated there most likely is. We are waiting to see what comes back from the tests but I don’t know what I’m going to do if they are positive. I know that thinking rationally asbestos isn’t an issue unless disturbed or prolonged exposure but I still find myself worrying and falling down the rabbit hole. I don’t know what to do in this situation - I can’t give up on this job as it’s one I’ve always wanted and I can’t let health anxiety control my life or impact my ability to function, but I’m also worried about what will happen to my mental health if the asbestos tests are positive and I have to live in such close proximity to something that I am so afraid of.

Notmyfirstrodeo Seriously anxious about my partner’s health
  • replies: 6

My husband has a couple of chronic health conditions that could become life threatening in the long term (although don’t for many people) that I am struggling to cope with. He is actually doing fine! Some annoying symptoms, but in good spirits and fe... View more

My husband has a couple of chronic health conditions that could become life threatening in the long term (although don’t for many people) that I am struggling to cope with. He is actually doing fine! Some annoying symptoms, but in good spirits and feeling generally well. My trouble is I have a history of going off on these debilitating anxiety spirals that last for a month or so before they dissipate. My last one was in December/January, which I had just gotten over, but the last 3 days have been bad and I’m so scared it’s the start of another long haul. I cry frequently. I take a medication, but I’m already on twice my usual dose (was put up in my last episode). I just can’t seem to stop fixating on the worst possible outcomes and what it will mean for my family (we’ve got three kids). I’m afraid I won’t cope, that the fear will be unbearable and my kids will suffer. I know it’s crazy to be making myself miserable right now by thinking I won’t cope with something that may not happen or might be a long time at down the track, but once I get started I find it so hard to step off the loop. Dr Google is my worst enemy, but I do it compulsively! I have done CBT last year and I use the beyond blue helplines. How do you deal with obsessive negative thoughts? Any ideas on how I can stop the behaviours (like googling) that just make it worse for me?

Towers_chris9009 Anxiety anxiety anxiety 😵😵‍💫🤯😪
  • replies: 3

So this week have been working from home due to covid. My anxiety levels have been last pretty much everyday it's seems like it's difficult to talk to anyone about it even when I get reassurance from my family it seems it doesn't minimise thinking th... View more

So this week have been working from home due to covid. My anxiety levels have been last pretty much everyday it's seems like it's difficult to talk to anyone about it even when I get reassurance from my family it seems it doesn't minimise thinking the absolute worst , everyday extreme loneliness fear of not doing my job properly even though my boss has praised me for my hard working efforts but I don't seem to recognise my hard work feel of no self worth numbness dizzy spells is just some of the symptoms I've been facing pretty much all week I feel as though it's not going to pass and I fear something is terribly wrong but I know its just in my head but the fear feels so bloody real!!!! The extreme butterflies in my stomach the heart palpitations urrgghhhh.......ABSOLUTELY ANNOYING IS ALL I CAN SAY!!! The battle I face with myself I feel so alone.....

cno1234 What changed in your life when you turned 30?

I've been feeling really at a loss lately. I can't work out if I'm young or old. I don't feel old, but I know I've been around for thirty years. Feels overwhelming like I'm not ready to cope with the changes that come with being 30. I get the sense t... View more

I've been feeling really at a loss lately. I can't work out if I'm young or old. I don't feel old, but I know I've been around for thirty years. Feels overwhelming like I'm not ready to cope with the changes that come with being 30. I get the sense that time is moving on and I'm no longer in my youth, or that it is moving away from me. Anybody else feel the same? What has changed for you since turning 30?

Apricit123 Thanatophobia

Does anybody experience thanatophobia also know as death anxiety.? I have this and it's so hard to live with everyday I always scared I'm going to die.

Does anybody experience thanatophobia also know as death anxiety.? I have this and it's so hard to live with everyday I always scared I'm going to die.

44Max44 Cardiac/Exercise anxiety, heart palpitations
  • replies: 9

Hi, So I used to work out and exercise quite a lot and never had any problems with my heart, but recently I've started to get anxious about the health of my heart and have been paying close attention to my heart rate a lot of the time. I went to the ... View more

Hi, So I used to work out and exercise quite a lot and never had any problems with my heart, but recently I've started to get anxious about the health of my heart and have been paying close attention to my heart rate a lot of the time. I went to the doctors around a month ago and they told me I had above-average blood pressure and a high pulse but said it's probably due to high amounts of stress and my anxiety which makes sense to me. I tried working out today but couldn't even get through a few sets of weights before I started getting what I think were heart palpitations every minute or so, kind of like my breath was taken away but just for a split second, which just made me super anxious and made me stop exercising just 15 minutes in. I've never had heart palpitations like this during exercise before, and I used to do much more intense workouts so this is a very new issue for me. I'm concerned because I'm not sure if this is just due to my anxiety and because it's the first time I've worked out in quite a while, or if it's a legitimate heart problem that I should be concerned about. I don't get chest pains or anything, it's just the very occasional (maybe once or twice a day) heart palpitation while not exercising and regular heart palpitations when I'm exercising. I have a blood pressure measurer at home and the last time I measured it my heart rate was slightly over the average and my blood pressure was slightly over normal too. I'm not sure what to do. I want to keep my heart healthy by exercising regularly, but whenever I try to exercise I get heart palpitations that just make me anxious and very hesitant to exercise anymore. Even if it is just my anxiety causing these heart palpitations they are still very unnerving because it's a very unsettling feeling and makes me worry that I'll have a heart attack. Does anyone else have similar issues or advice? It'd be very much appreciated. Cheers

Anxiousmind07 I have made a big commitment to buy a house with my partner and now I am suddenly Anxious
  • replies: 8

Hi All I have been dating my partner for nearly 2 years now. I am so in love with him and have never had any doubts in our relationship and have always thought to myself that I am so lucky to have met my person. We live together and recently just pur... View more

Hi All I have been dating my partner for nearly 2 years now. I am so in love with him and have never had any doubts in our relationship and have always thought to myself that I am so lucky to have met my person. We live together and recently just purchased an apartment together and we move in in 4 weeks time. However, over the last few days, I have had a huge increase in anxiety (it has been nearly 2 years since I had an anxiety attack) and am starting to doubt our relationship. And I honestly have no idea why. How can I go from feeling so great and positive to having doubts. Just two weeks ago we were talking about starting a family. I have felt experienced feelings of overwhelming anxiety in past relationships that have ended, so maybe I am panicking that if I feel this way then the relationship needs to end. I am having really intrusive thoughts and thinking about the worst things that could happen. I have gone back to my doctor and I am taking medication again (day 3) so hoping this will start to help. I am reading up on intrusive thoughts and how to cope with them, but how do I distinguish between an intrusive thought and an instinct. Any suggestions on how to cope or share a similar story would be greatly appreciated.

Smithsons Can depression and/or anxiety really do this to you?
  • replies: 6

Can depression and/or anxiety make you believe things that are completely untrue?? I've been anxious and depressed for half a year now, and some of the things my mind has convinced me of... it's caused me a lot of distress. It's as if there's this se... View more

Can depression and/or anxiety make you believe things that are completely untrue?? I've been anxious and depressed for half a year now, and some of the things my mind has convinced me of... it's caused me a lot of distress. It's as if there's this section of my brain that holds all the many things I'm anxious about... and inevitably at some points of the day, a couple will be released, then the next day, another couple worries will come to my attention....... and right now i realise that these worries i have are so incredibly unrealistic and untrue... but the thing is, when i'm anxious, or when my anxieties are staring me in the face, gee i really, REALLY believe them.. i'm not exaggerating they seem so real. there was once a time where everything seemed so clear to me and i was really happy with my life. now I'm just plagued by constant worry and over thinking, and it's really ruining my life. My anxiety's convinced me my relationship's over, and that i'm not enough, but i know this isn't true, coz every time the idea of breaking up with her comes to mind i just shut down, cry, and don't want the world to exist. My anxiety's convinced me that I have feelings for a friend i've had for years (even though i never felt anything for her in the past) n I know I definitely don't like her in that way. I once believed I had a brain tumour from a headache, which sent me into a panic attack that only my girlfriend could take me out of. I've been convinced that I'm gay, that I don't love my family and they don't love me, that I don't love my girlfriend.. and much more that I'm too embarrassed and ashamed to say.. I know these all sound silly, but trust me when I say this, when I'm not feeling well, I will genuinely believe all of them, they seem and feel really real in the moment, even though right now as I'm typing it, I can't help but realise how ridiculous it all sounds. Every day's just a constant battle in my head, and it's emotionally draining n ruining my life. so i ask, can depression and anxiety do this to you?? can it make you believe illusions or things that aren't actually real? sorry for the hefty message.

Beaser Pleasing everyone and feeling like i let people down , post holiday blues.
  • replies: 5

Hi and best wishes to every one. I have always wanted to be the best friend i can to everyone and feel like i let them down constantly. When i dont catch up or attend things it causes me so much stress. I have been on my own for a long time but i now... View more

Hi and best wishes to every one. I have always wanted to be the best friend i can to everyone and feel like i let them down constantly. When i dont catch up or attend things it causes me so much stress. I have been on my own for a long time but i now have a partner who i love to spend time with and i just dont have the time i once did. I have recently had a great holiday and am really struggling to cope with being back to work and i think this has caused me to feel sad and evdo people even lonely again. I find this all very tough to cope with at times and overwhelming. I guess im struggling at the moment with it all . Brett.

Trixiebell99 Looking for advice - Perfectionism, Anxiety, Therapy
  • replies: 7

Hello, I am currently feeling very overwhelmed, I constantly feel anxious and I seem to be upset and cry over most things lately. I've just finished my undergraduate degree in science and withdrew from a masters course because I didn't think it was f... View more

Hello, I am currently feeling very overwhelmed, I constantly feel anxious and I seem to be upset and cry over most things lately. I've just finished my undergraduate degree in science and withdrew from a masters course because I didn't think it was for me. At this stage I don't regret withdrawing (3 weeks ago) - I didn't think I could get the most out of the uni experience because I feel like my mental health is slipping away from me. I think that part of the problem is stemming from my inner perfectionist. I am a horrible perfectionist, and constantly belittle my achievements. The logical side of me understands that I have done well - e.g., I got 100% on my mid semester exam; However, my emotional side believes that I could have done better and that I am not good enough. I think this whole perfectionist thing over study has spilled over into my career life and life in general. I am at the stage where I am looking for jobs - but I don't know what it is i want to do. I then start thinking there is no way I will be good enough for a job and that if I'm not perfect at the job immediately then i have failed. Then I start thinking about how I ~need~ to get what I think is a successful job (Don't ask me what that is, because I don't know). I have placed these high expectations on myself to be perfect, get a great job etc.. I've also come up with an expectation for what people think of me - I assume that they expect me to be perfect, get the perfect job, get the good grades etc.. Continuing on with these spiralling thoughts, i then think - I am struggling, i have all this anxiety and need to do something about it, people will see me as failing because I am struggling mentally. So because I want to maintain this "perfect" appearance, my anxiety is heightened because people can see that I am anxious and struggling, and therefore not perfect. I've booked in to see my GP and try and find a psychologist - that is a whole other ordeal. My mind just continues to spiral - "What do you have to complain about?, people have it worse than you, so why are you struggling?", "A psychologist won't be able to help you because it's all in your head, they will just brush you off" etc. etc. etc. Just all very negative thoughts. So I guess my question is, has therapy helped you out with anxiety? I guess I am just looking for some advice on how to dig myself out of this hole. And maybe some reassurance