Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

julzey help wanted
  • replies: 3

I am an anxious parenting wanting to know/find out what support is out there for my primary school aged daughter who is suffering from trichotillomania (hair pulling disorder) any help will be much appreciated

I am an anxious parenting wanting to know/find out what support is out there for my primary school aged daughter who is suffering from trichotillomania (hair pulling disorder) any help will be much appreciated

Detective_S Why is it I don't see a future for myself at the moment?
  • replies: 10

Hi there, I don't know if this is the correct forum to place this under but it seemed the most relevant to my current thought process. I don't know when this thought initially hit me, perhaps it was when my relationship with one of my parents started... View more

Hi there, I don't know if this is the correct forum to place this under but it seemed the most relevant to my current thought process. I don't know when this thought initially hit me, perhaps it was when my relationship with one of my parents started to become rocky or maybe its burn out (?) I'm not sure, but lately I have been struggling to see a future for myself. Now in no way do I want to die, nor am I in anyway giving up, I just don't see myself living a long life for whatever reason. I can't see myself reaching the end of my current uni degree let alone reaching full-time employment at the end, additionally, I feel like I'm living life on auto-pilot trying to get through everything. The last week has hit me hard, I've recently decided to finally stand up to one of my parents (my parents are divorced) who has been quite manipulative lately, and my Pop has just been sent to hospital for heart failure. It is just upsetting because I am nearly 20 years old but don't feel any drive to be part of a relationship or set myself up for the future and it is starting to cause me significant anxiety as I start to face this unknown, confusing time. Was just hoping for any sort of advice on how I may be able to move away from this mindset and to a more positive and productive one. Kind regards, Detective S.

Narnie Anxiety About Public Settings and Social Interactions
  • replies: 4

I’ve been really struggling with my social anxiety. I believe I used to be a very confident person but since moving cities and having very limited social interactions, I am no longer that person. Doing simple tasks such as grocery shopping has been e... View more

I’ve been really struggling with my social anxiety. I believe I used to be a very confident person but since moving cities and having very limited social interactions, I am no longer that person. Doing simple tasks such as grocery shopping has been extremely emotionally draining and exhausting - so much so that I’ve completely refrained from it and order everything online. I am still able to attend work because I’m already familiar with those surroundings and people. I’m just struggling to leave my house because of the anxiety that I feel about interacting with people and not being able to anticipate what might happen when I’m in public situations. I just want to know that I’m not alone in these feelings of anxiety and if anyone has any solutions or support to help me overcome them.

EmeraldALT114 [HELP] just got kicked out, i have one week until I have to leave, what now?
  • replies: 5

Just got into a huge argument with my mum and she now wants me out of the house, if she really does mean it, I have been offered to stay at my cousins place for a while which is good until I find out what I'm doing. I'm only 18 years old so what do I... View more

Just got into a huge argument with my mum and she now wants me out of the house, if she really does mean it, I have been offered to stay at my cousins place for a while which is good until I find out what I'm doing. I'm only 18 years old so what do I do? I don't want to live life struggling, I want to make something of myself but also enjoy my years ahead of me, not struggling and being scared of where to go. I live in australia, victoria. Welcome to ask any questions, would really love some advice or tips xx.

Doberman38 Taiwan

While I have managed to reduce my anxiety concerning the whole Ukraine conflict, there is another brewing conflict which is starting to worry me even more: the China-Taiwan situation. A lot of analysts seem to think that China is going to try and inv... View more

While I have managed to reduce my anxiety concerning the whole Ukraine conflict, there is another brewing conflict which is starting to worry me even more: the China-Taiwan situation. A lot of analysts seem to think that China is going to try and invade Taiwan at some point, and while that in itself would be a terrible tragedy there are three main reasons which are particularly fuelling my anxiety: the prospect of Australia being attacked or invaded, the consequences of American intervention on America, and the possibility of a nuclear crisis. The current Australian government has been very tough, at least in words, when it comes to China, sometimes very legitimately and sometimes very recklessly. I'm terrified that if Australia directly intervened we'd get hit with air raids, ballistic missiles or even invaded. As for American intervention, it looks increasingly likely to me, and I'm really worried (since I have a lot of online friends over there) that if it resulted in American territory getting directly attacked or an economic collapse it would result in a civil war and/or some sort of military or Neo-Nazi dictatorship. My third great fear is that if America intervened it could trigger a nuclear exchange, since both countries have them. I really hope the people who matter are sensible enough not to let it happen, but the possibility is enough to terrify me. These fears have been plaguing my mind, on and of, for half a year and when they come to the surface they really sap my enjoyment and optimism for the future.

Anicca Anxiety over West Gate Bridge
  • replies: 6

I have had debilitating anxiety about travellling over the West Gate Bridge for many years now. I used to be ok but then I began getting anxious if it was windy and thinks spiralled from there. I just googled this and found there are some old posts o... View more

I have had debilitating anxiety about travellling over the West Gate Bridge for many years now. I used to be ok but then I began getting anxious if it was windy and thinks spiralled from there. I just googled this and found there are some old posts on BB. I am so glad I am not alone. I recently read that Anthony Field, the Blue Wiggle, had a panic attack and stopped his car on the bridge. I was so close to this the last time I drove across it!! For some reason I thought it was just me and felt foolish that I haven’t been able to overcome it. I am going on a trip where I could use the bridge but I use another route that takes the same amount of time. I have GAD and have been able to overcome other fears but I don’t want to put myself through that anxiety again. I was ok with someone else driving but I won’t even do that now. It is such a relief to hear that other people do have the same fear that I do. Today I was able to tell someone that I am not the only one!! It legitimises it somehow. I just hope this post helps another person. Best wishes, Anicca

Missy1807 My brain makes up worst case senarios
  • replies: 17

Hello I'm very new to this page but it's getting to a point where it's getting to much. I suffer from quite bad anxiety and ocd most of the time I can keep it at bay and use the tools my psychologist gave me but some time I can't control it. My thoug... View more

Hello I'm very new to this page but it's getting to a point where it's getting to much. I suffer from quite bad anxiety and ocd most of the time I can keep it at bay and use the tools my psychologist gave me but some time I can't control it. My thoughts get so real and worst case senarios I can't stop over thinking. For eg I got into a verbal altercation over the weekend with someone and now my thoughts are I am going to be arrested for assult. Now I know it never happened but tue thoughts don't stop and I get so anxious and nervous and over think everything. These episodes usually only happen once a month but recently it has been weekly. Really stupid things cause it and I can't shake it untill the stressor goes away which could be days. Does anyone else have this type of thing or any ideas when it's at it's peak to make it stop? I'm exhausted

CourtneyJ Travel anxiety
  • replies: 6

GAD sufferer here. I'm going on vacation for a week tomorrow. It's a 2hr drive from my house in a nice hotel I've been to before. I've been looking forward to this break. Last year I tried to go on holiday to the same place. On the drive there I had ... View more

GAD sufferer here. I'm going on vacation for a week tomorrow. It's a 2hr drive from my house in a nice hotel I've been to before. I've been looking forward to this break. Last year I tried to go on holiday to the same place. On the drive there I had a panic attack and had to pull over. In the end I had my parents pick me up and drive me home. I didn't end up going on holiday. It's the night before and the anxiety is starting to kick into overdrive. I know my first night anywhere is new is terrifying. I'm going to be honest I usually have to self medicate with alcohol to get through it. Then after that it's usually fine. Here's just some of the things I'm worrying about: - a storm hitting my house causing damage - an electrical outlet sparking a fire in my house - forgetting to turn something off which will cause a fire - having another panic attack on the highway and trying to find somewhere to pull over safely - something falling off my car while driving at high speed (it's happened before) - getting to the hotel at all. Chickening out halfway there and turning back like an idiot - getting to the hotel and spending the first night along in deathly silence Also I don't have the option of having someone come with me. But I am having coffee with a friend before I leave so I'm hoping that that'll create some positive feelings. I also have my best friend on standby to call or text me if I need someone to talk to. I know most (if not all) of these are irrational fears that I can physically mitigate. I also know that confronting fear head on is the only way to conquer it. I don't know what I'm asking here. I guess I hope that writing it down will take some of the power away from my anxiety?? I don't know.

Lyss123 Anxiety about the Future
  • replies: 5

Hello everyone im new here so I hope eveyone is having a good day. So I’ve been struggling with relationship anxiety for a few weeks now. I keep worrying about our future and worrying that something bad will happen. I can’t shake this thought and I’m... View more

Hello everyone im new here so I hope eveyone is having a good day. So I’ve been struggling with relationship anxiety for a few weeks now. I keep worrying about our future and worrying that something bad will happen. I can’t shake this thought and I’m losing sleep over it. My boyfriend is very supportive of my mental health and takes the time to listen and support me as much as he can I guess I’m reaching out to see if anyone else suffers from relationship anxiety and anxiety about the future and have any tips or strategies that can help me and maybe some other people out Have a great day everyone:)

AnonymousPencil How to go about getting stress leave?

In my current position I've had extreme burnout, and my anxiety has gone through the roof. I've already handed in my 30 days notice, and I feel as though my boss is being slightly vindictive in asking me to take on lots of work in the lead up to me f... View more

In my current position I've had extreme burnout, and my anxiety has gone through the roof. I've already handed in my 30 days notice, and I feel as though my boss is being slightly vindictive in asking me to take on lots of work in the lead up to me finishing. I was meant to be cutting down to 3 days a week prior to resigning, and now they're asking me to work across multiple weekends and attend the office (I work from home). I think they feel I'm being lazy, but I'm at the point where I'm just trying to survive. Counting down the days until I finish so I can take some time to look after my mental health and the consequences of the job being overworked and chaotic. I want to fulfil as much as I can before I leave, but is it possible to get a note from a doctor advising my boss that due to current stress levels I need to minimise the amount of time I am working? Or alternatively, just get a doctors certificate to take some stress leave? (Unsure if this is possible in a notice period before resigning) Thank you!