Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Snowflake36389 Hating school and wanting to drop out
  • replies: 2

I’m really hating school at the moment. My anxiety has been so bad at the moment. I’ve just gotton lots of marks back from last term and I only passed by a few marks for every assignment and test. I feel so dumb and stupid. I just hate school so so m... View more

I’m really hating school at the moment. My anxiety has been so bad at the moment. I’ve just gotton lots of marks back from last term and I only passed by a few marks for every assignment and test. I feel so dumb and stupid. I just hate school so so much. I can’t deal with the assignments and stress and it’s becoming too much. I really want to go to uni though and the course that I want to go to doesn’t really have and VET or TAFE courses that could be used as an entry way. So I’m just stuck at school doing subjects that I’m liking less and less the more I do. It’s becoming so unbearable. I just don’t see the point of going to school if I’m hating it stressing about it and then not even getting anh good marks. I’ve spoken to my parents my therapist school counsellor teachers and nothing has worked. I just don’t see the point I’m absolutely miserable. Im struggling and hate that I’ve gotten to this point where I’m back to being depressed all over again.

Apricit123 Dizziness

Does anyone get dizzyness with anxiety this sucks

Does anyone get dizzyness with anxiety this sucks

Belle_07 Health anxiety making me feel exhausted and hopeless. 
  • replies: 6

Hi, I’m new to forums. Like many of you I have been suffering with health anxiety for many years. I have had many significant episodes where I have been debilitated for long periods, obsessing over symptoms, seeking reassurance, multiple tests and do... View more

Hi, I’m new to forums. Like many of you I have been suffering with health anxiety for many years. I have had many significant episodes where I have been debilitated for long periods, obsessing over symptoms, seeking reassurance, multiple tests and doctors/ hospital visits. I am on AD which helps and have seen numerous psychologists and have done CBT, mindfulness training etc and have Learnt that my health anxiety is triggered by stress. I have long periods of being “normal” but if I have what I consider an abnormal bodily sensation for a period of time eg I have chest wall pain at the moment, my mind goes into anxiety overdrive and no matter how rational I try to be, I keep coming back to compulsively checking that symptom, with associated negative thoughts.The problem is that I am EXHAUSTED by all of this and cannot see an end in sight to these constant periods of anxiety. As I get older (I am now 50), more everyday stresses seem to be occurring and I don't see how I am going to be able to cope. I am super worried that if and when I do get diagnosed with something I will not be able to cope and will go insane. The emotional pain is becoming severe and sometimes I think that if I was diagnosed with something, it would be easier to opt out. All of these thoughts are going around my head. I have plenty of support, but like many don’t want to continually burden other people. I’m not really expecting an answer from this post. I just thought it might help if I wrote it all down. So thanks for listening..

britta8888 Anxiety Making Me Want To Leave Job
  • replies: 4

My anxiety has lately crept back up to a level where it is impacting my day to day life. I have only been at my job for a few months and I am completing a traineeship through this workplace. However, I have been having panic attacks at work and am no... View more

My anxiety has lately crept back up to a level where it is impacting my day to day life. I have only been at my job for a few months and I am completing a traineeship through this workplace. However, I have been having panic attacks at work and am not enjoying working there as I thought I would. Furthermore, my boss who trains me sometimes embarrasses me in front of clients which only exacerbates my anxiety. I haven't told them about my anxiety but I really just want to leave anyway as I am not enjoying it and the environment exacerbates my mental health issues. How do I go about resigning in a non-confrontational, respectful way. What do I say and I know that they will try to get me to stay but I really don't want to. Im intimidated by my boss too. Thank you for your help this has really been playing on my mind. XXXX

TentativeSteps Workplace anxiety and workers compensation claim
  • replies: 14

Because of the stigma I’ve avoided taking out a claim, having used considerable leave over the years to cope instead, but have bitten the bullet and lodged a claim going back to a recent event (not years but presumably that is helpful to explain what... View more

Because of the stigma I’ve avoided taking out a claim, having used considerable leave over the years to cope instead, but have bitten the bullet and lodged a claim going back to a recent event (not years but presumably that is helpful to explain what pushed me into a claim) which is well documented. Anyone understand why all I ever read is how difficult claims are because employer always claims it was ‘reasonable management action’ and insurer investigators buy this? Is it standard to be rejected to simply be pushed into an apparent toothless tiger conciliation and therefore the courts disregarding model litigant requirement and knowing employee cannot live without a wage? Have read Ombudsman reports wanting to have insurers improve their actions but has anything improved other than immediate reasonable medical costs being paid to start recuperating?

Hyperballad Anxiety about work

New to the forums here. I have had anxiety for a long time and one of the things that happens is that after a certain time into a job I get anxious about work, losing my job, and some paranoid/suspicious thinking that they are going to get rid of me.... View more

New to the forums here. I have had anxiety for a long time and one of the things that happens is that after a certain time into a job I get anxious about work, losing my job, and some paranoid/suspicious thinking that they are going to get rid of me. I’m a little socially anxious as well so not the limelight at work but I tend to work well and fit in well. It becomes so hard to work with these thoughts that start to make me nervous about work and insecure. It’s started up again in this new job that I’m in for nearly a year and received a promotion for about two months ago. I still think they only gave me a promotion with the intention on getting me out. I’m also nervous about the person who is taking my new role as she is a bit prickly and not so friendly to me but is to my boss. anyway, I’ve approached my doctor and started on meds (tho don’t went to get into them too much or for too long) and have started with a psychooogist. Just want a respite from the thinking and worry.

Amanda2000 anxiety - my coping tool
  • replies: 3

Hello fellow anxiety-sufferers. Do you recall the many times that you've been all worried about nothing? But you only know this after having wasted a lot of time and energy feeling so so so worried. And then at the end, you're fine! Next time when yo... View more

Hello fellow anxiety-sufferers. Do you recall the many times that you've been all worried about nothing? But you only know this after having wasted a lot of time and energy feeling so so so worried. And then at the end, you're fine! Next time when you find yourself excessively worrying about something, try to remember one of these positive incidents from the past. It's become a powerful tool for me to manage my anxiety issues.

RISL Trouble talking
  • replies: 8

Hi everyone. I was just wondering if anyone else has difficulties talking in front of others? I get so nervous I muck up my speech and then that makes me more nervous. Does anyone have any advice? Thankyou

Hi everyone. I was just wondering if anyone else has difficulties talking in front of others? I get so nervous I muck up my speech and then that makes me more nervous. Does anyone have any advice? Thankyou

Petal22 The War and Ukraine … Strategies that can help
  • replies: 59

I have seen and heard so much that is going on with the war in Ukraine My heart goes out to each and every one in Ukraine. Our minds can begin to spiral in a negative way which is sometimes fuelled by anxiety in regards to the war. When our thoughts ... View more

I have seen and heard so much that is going on with the war in Ukraine My heart goes out to each and every one in Ukraine. Our minds can begin to spiral in a negative way which is sometimes fuelled by anxiety in regards to the war. When our thoughts begin to spiral…we can: Just allow the thoughts to be there and then allow them to float away when they come back still allow them to be there and float away….. try not to give them your attention. What we give attention to we give power to. When we have the thoughts we can put our attention on something positive in the present moment and not what’s going inside our minds. Focus on your breath, use your breath as an anchor this will help ground you. If we want to do something positive for Ukraine we can pray for them and direct our positive energy towards Ukraine in their time of need to help lift them. I believe that Ukraine are strong and very resilient people who would do anything to protect their country. Hold high hopes for Ukraine we are with you .

Karen0901 Panic is hard to deal with
  • replies: 5

Hi, I'm really struggling with an increase in my anxiety symptoms. I have been placed on medication and it has helped but not enough. My doctor said severe anxiety is hard to medicate so I'm feeling a bit let down with medication options. If my mind ... View more

Hi, I'm really struggling with an increase in my anxiety symptoms. I have been placed on medication and it has helped but not enough. My doctor said severe anxiety is hard to medicate so I'm feeling a bit let down with medication options. If my mind wanders to things that are causing me anxiety, my physical response is immediate and difficult to calm. Does anyone have any ideas for things that have worked for you with controlling the feeling of panic? It's difficult to stop thinking in cycles so the panic is coming too often. I have tried breathing techniques but it only seems to help with some symptoms. Examples of symptoms I can't control include a sick feeling, restless energy and a lack of concentration. Lack of concentration means I find it hard to distract myself to change my thoughts and to focus on ways to change my thought narrative. Thanks