Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

movingkids My new job and child's anxiety
  • replies: 6

Hi all wanting help from people who suffer with anxiety. My child has it and self harms. I have got a new job in a capital city which means we would have to leave the country town and my child will also need to start a new school. I know anxiety stop... View more

Hi all wanting help from people who suffer with anxiety. My child has it and self harms. I have got a new job in a capital city which means we would have to leave the country town and my child will also need to start a new school. I know anxiety stops people doing stuff. But am I going to do more damage than good making them move. Any help would be great 13 years old. They say they can't handle the city we tried a couple of weeks they never came out of the bedroom. Went out and they had a panic attack. Please help me

Doberman38 Terrified for America
  • replies: 17

Hi everyone. The sharp rightwood turn and constant political chaos in America is really having a impact. I'm getting more and more worried that in the near future it will turn into a dictatorship, with political purges and another Holocaust. I though... View more

Hi everyone. The sharp rightwood turn and constant political chaos in America is really having a impact. I'm getting more and more worried that in the near future it will turn into a dictatorship, with political purges and another Holocaust. I thought things would have calmed down since the last election, but it seems it's just been getting worse and worse and I don't see any signs that this can be changed. I try to think that surely people won't let all that happen, but I'm really losing faith. I'm increasingly feeling like there's no point being optimistic. It is seriously distracting me and sucking out all my joy.

Lavina Physical symptoms
  • replies: 2

Does anyone get pain in their arms, shoulder blades. Some times it feels like someone is squeezing the tops of my arms. And just the crying..

Does anyone get pain in their arms, shoulder blades. Some times it feels like someone is squeezing the tops of my arms. And just the crying..

Amor90 Techniques for anxiety (that have worked)
  • replies: 8

Hi, new to this. Having a lot of issues with anxiety and overthinking recently. I work in a high stress job, have a young family and a house to maintain. Looking for techniques others have used that were found to be successful. Have done counselling ... View more

Hi, new to this. Having a lot of issues with anxiety and overthinking recently. I work in a high stress job, have a young family and a house to maintain. Looking for techniques others have used that were found to be successful. Have done counselling in the past but more looking for techniques others have used to dull their brains feedback. Open to anything at this point. Have tried breathing techniques and specific muscle relaxation. Thanks guys.

Hope-Less Paperwork
  • replies: 4

Today I thought I would organise my tax. What a challenge that is for me! Flashbacks to legality involved in my last divorce hit me hard. Coming across AVOs and solicitor letters amongst the paperwork, made my chest tighten and hands shake. The overw... View more

Today I thought I would organise my tax. What a challenge that is for me! Flashbacks to legality involved in my last divorce hit me hard. Coming across AVOs and solicitor letters amongst the paperwork, made my chest tighten and hands shake. The overwhelming freeze where I couldn’t move or think, I went outside to breathe then lit a cigarette. Looked across the fence at my neighbour hanging out the washing, broke feelings of shame, because they witnessed the police here at my home. My mind racing they know what’s gone on here. I lowered my head and walked up the stairs, so wouldn’t be seen. I looked at the dining table covered in paperwork and ran to my bedroom. Laid down and took some medication to reduce the symptoms as I know it will pass. Looked at my phone and thought there is no one I can talk to to explain how I feel. To others it is the past, to me it is reliving and resurfacing trauma. I want to be able to tackle these normal things in life which need to be completed. But don’t know how. Any ideas?

Davey93 New job is good, but I'm struggling with the industry

Sorry if this has already been covered but I haven't found it. My last job was pretty bad, I was left on my own a lot and didn't have much support from the company, which usually meant going to work sick, with work related injuries or doing two/three... View more

Sorry if this has already been covered but I haven't found it. My last job was pretty bad, I was left on my own a lot and didn't have much support from the company, which usually meant going to work sick, with work related injuries or doing two/three peoples jobs on my own... Which I basically had to suck it up to keep the clients happy. After the pandemic I joined a new company, and they're great.Understanding bosses, people who care and look out for eachother, always trying to do whats best for everyone.Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be enough and staying in the industry is still affecting me, which now has started affecting work performance. (I couldn't bring myself to go in Monday)I like some work tasks I do, I like the people I work with but staying in this industry is having a negative impact on me.I want to resign but is it smart? How do I say that my mental health is becoming hard to ignore and I like the company but need to get out of the industry?

Jane_Melb No right to be anxious
  • replies: 5

Hi, I'm new to this but have been feeling a bit out of the driver's seat and wanted to reach out. I've read the other posts here and have had similar experiences. I am in my 30s and have always been very proactive and happy. This past year I have fou... View more

Hi, I'm new to this but have been feeling a bit out of the driver's seat and wanted to reach out. I've read the other posts here and have had similar experiences. I am in my 30s and have always been very proactive and happy. This past year I have found myself constantly feeling like a failure, ruminating on mistakes, self-sabotaging through avoiding things I should be more engaged with and generally slipping into very negative self talk. I am at uni and get good grades and get a lot of positive comments at work but I just feel like I am a shadow of my former self and making increasingly bigger and unjustifiable mistakes. Last month in the middle of a video call I had to lie on the ground and deep breath while bursting into tears - I have never felt overwhelmed like this before, and although I have taken on a lot of work, it's no more than I usually balance. I have been putting it down to burn out and the general post-covid crazy that seems to be going around, but I just keep waiting to wake up refreshed and have it all stop and it hasn't after a year. I feel ridiculous seeking help because I have work, a flat, food etc. and really haven't lost anything through Covid like others have. Is this anxiety?

Safes Can anxiety occur all day and has meds helped that??

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone else experiences anxiety over a sustained period. I hear other people talk about going though peaks of anxiety, but mine seems just constant all day and delibitating. I'm seeing my GP soon, just getting through the d... View more

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone else experiences anxiety over a sustained period. I hear other people talk about going though peaks of anxiety, but mine seems just constant all day and delibitating. I'm seeing my GP soon, just getting through the days till then is difficult. I also wonder if meds have helped anyone in a similar situation. Regards, Safes Re

Beaser Anxiety and employment.
  • replies: 33

Hi and best wishes to everyone. I was wondering how people cope at times with the thought of changing employment. I been in one job for the past 12and a half years in that time i have had mental health issues and they have been more than supportive a... View more

Hi and best wishes to everyone. I was wondering how people cope at times with the thought of changing employment. I been in one job for the past 12and a half years in that time i have had mental health issues and they have been more than supportive and understanding especially with my needing time off. I m just feeling that i need a fresh start and have had a interview recently. The reason being i feel that my work is also affecting my mental health with having to put up with unhappy and disenchanted colleagues,basically workplace politics. Im really scared do i need to make a change or put up with the downside of my job. It has got to the stage where i wake at night and stress about going to work because of the politics and constant negativaty. The idea of starting a new job also scares me. Im just not sure of what to do. Brett

That Other Guy Is this anxiety?

My wife and I had a hard year last year and she did things that have hurt me deeply. I decided to stay and we're trying to move forward. She seems to regularly talk about last year, even if I ask her not to. When she does, I find it hard to breathe a... View more

My wife and I had a hard year last year and she did things that have hurt me deeply. I decided to stay and we're trying to move forward. She seems to regularly talk about last year, even if I ask her not to. When she does, I find it hard to breathe and I say things I regret because my mind races. Is this an anxiety attack? This is all new to me....