FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Avoidance?

V17
Community Member
Hello,

I'm finding that by helping others in the forums the anxiety that I am feeling lessens dramatically, yet I'm concerned I may be using this as a crux to avoid facing the problems I have. Like for instance I feel really teary and can't seem to be motivated. Do you think taking a break from the forums would be beneficial?

I'd welcome your suggestions.

V.
10 Replies 10

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey V17

Great thread by the way.

I hear your kind heart so loud and clear. When I notice that my motivation is low (or zero) I wont go near BB.

Its a mega help to have a break from the forums when we are over revving and our mind is 'tired'......whether teary or really down.....I am of little help to anyone on the forums.

!st priority - Your Health

2nd Priority - Beyond Blue

You are/have been helping a ton of people V17 and Nice1 too 🙂

Unmotivated and Teary is a mind that is temporarily 'tired'

always a treat to have a chat with you V17

Maybe time out for a little while?

my kindest and Hugs

Paulx

V17
Community Member
Thanks Paul, you have helped me to put it into perspective. I have a great amount of respect for you in here so I will take what you have said on board and take a breather for a little bit. Thank you for your kind words and wisdom - means a lot to me. Hugs back, V.

Yes V, agree. Paul is right.

Im in a groove now whereby I post in the forums when it feels right. I no longer over think the matter.

When I'm bored or feeling empathetic I'll go on the forum. If I'm drained and sensitive I'll log off.

That now natural strategy takes no thought now. So follow your consciousness and enjoy the ride at your own pace. ...when it feels right.

Tony WK

V17
Community Member
Thanks for your reply Tony, I have always valued your input. It makes a lot of sense, thanks for believing in me, V.

DN129
Community Member

I'm not sure about using the forum as a crux, but avoidance and anxiety is one of the key problems in my view. Its always very easy to be confident right up until the point you have to do it, and always easy to be confident you won't feel the anxiety until it starts to kick in.

I wish I knew the answer to this. I know facing the anxiety is the only way you'll beat it, sometimes it just feels like you face it over and over again and never make any lasting impression.

BballJ
Community Member

Hi V17,

I do think it helps all of us in some way or another to talk to others who are going through the same things, it's a comfort feeling to a degree knowing you are in a safe place, not being judged, speaking to others who deal with anxiety (as I do) where I speak to my friends or what not and they don't fully understand.

A break is alway healthy for our minds as well, helping others and inadvertently taking on their problems almost as your own can cause your own ones to fester... no one would be mad at you if you took a breather, we all need one every now and then.

My best for you,

Jay

MsPurple
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

HI V17. Paul offered amazing advice. Some I am definitely gonna take.

I found I have been a little low as well of late but this generally happens in waves. Some days I just don't feel like I should go on the BB forums. I just don't feel like it or I just need me time. It is ok to have you time. I agree with you, I find my anxiety has decreased when I am on here however my depression can sometimes go down if I don't take some me times. I find me having a day off a week from the forums really beneficial. It gives me time to go over the week and my mood throughout the week. It allows me to address why I felt that way at that time and how I need to change my thinking around it. It also allows me to know what to talk about with someone as well (a lot of thinks I need help to deal with). I also don't go on the forums when I am away or on holidays.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.

Take as much or as little time as you need V17

V17
Community Member
You are all so very right! Some time away and I feel renewed. I feel..gentle 🙂 Thanks heaps! xx

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

V,

Sometimes logic, the obvious escapes us all.

You listen, learn, try and ask. The four things so admirable about your attitude.

I covered bad attitudes in this thread a long time ago.

Google. Topic: your attitude is not a mental illness- beyondblue

Just for a bit of reading.

Tony WK