FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

aversion to sudden noises

David35
Community Member

I've developed an aversion to sudden noises lately. My gut feeling is that it is some emotional memory associated with glass smashing and arguments that I've had with mum over the years. Every time I hear glass knocking on granite or glass or crockery, I cringe. It usually sets of a panic attack. As embarrassing as it is to admit, has anyone else had this problem? If so, how have they dealt with it?

6 Replies 6

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi David,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this. I'm not a professional or have similar experience, but I did some google research for you.

It sounds like you might be experiencing a condition called Misophonia (it might be wrong as I'm not a professional). Misophonia is a disorder that causes extreme negative reactions to certain noises. People with misophonia react in an extreme and often emotional way to certain trigger sounds. Here's an article for you to learn more: Misophonia: What it is, symptoms, and triggers (medicalnewstoday.com)

It’s important to note that there are some overlaps between hyperacusis and phonophobia, which is an aversion to certain sounds. If you have phonophobia, you are likely to experience discomfort in response to sounds, and the noises may trigger headaches, migraines, or a sense of pain.

There are some tips to manage misophonia, for example, listening to music, calming sounds, or white noise. You can also politely ask the person making the sound to stop. But if you think your life has been severely affected, I would suggest you to consult with your doctor.

Hope if helps a bit.

Mark

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello David, I'm sorry you feel this way, but I also have had this awful feeling only because I have OCD.

Geoff. Life Member.

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi David

Certain sounds can be so triggering, that's for sure. While I'm a gal who's sensitive to specific sounds, sometimes it's what I associate the sound with that can be most triggering. Give you a few examples

• While I find the sound of a neighbour's dog continuously barking triggering, me associating that sound with the owner's neglect in managing the barking is more triggering
  • While I find the sound of my mobile phone dinging with a message triggering, it's typically because that ding means someone wants something from me. Already being under stress when it comes to managing a lot in my life, that ding seriously sets off my nervous system and a sense of dread
  • While a dripping tap agitates me, it's typically because it involves work (changing the washer) or someone not caring enough to stop the water flow

I can understand how the sound of smashing glass triggers you, especially through association. Hard to do and I'm not always successful with it but changing what the sound means can sometimes help lessen the impact on the nervous system. Breathing through it, releasing/exhausting some of that built up sudden energy felt through the sound can also help at times.

Thanks. All valuable advice. I think you're right, the sound of glass banging on granite, usually tells me a glass has been smashed in anger and that I have to clean it up. Usually after removing mum from said mess. There was an incident many years ago where my brother and I had a fight and accidentally smashed a glass table. This was back in my teens. Maybe my mind has remembered some of this stuff and sees it as just another potential mess to clean up again.

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi David,

I am sorry you are experiencing this, it must be stressful for you. These sounds might be triggers and it is good that you have recognized that that might be the case.

Everyone has had some good suggestions and I would reiterate that the best course of action for you is to see a professional about this and work through it that way. You can start by seeing your GP or family doctor. Diving deeper into these feelings will be most beneficial.

All the best,

Jaz xx

David35
Community Member

Thanks. I've mentioned it to my pscyhologist. She wasn't aware of such a condition. I think it's the anticipation of something. Like when mum yells out. In the past it has meant she's fallen over. That emotional memory has somehow been hardwired in my head. So now every time she yells I fear the worst. It's annoying, and the reaction itself feeds on mum's anxiety, which makes it worse.