FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Any experiences with medication or treatment for anxiety and panic attacks?

David_C1
Community Member

I have suffered for over nine months with terrible anxiety and panic attacks. I have had enough. I can't take much more. My friend says that I should go to my doctor and insist that he put me on a low dose of a medication such as benzodiazepine for long term treatment. I know these can be addictive but I need to have some sort of life. I have early onset Parkinson's so I'm worried for the future anyway. Anyone out there who would recommend this or another treatment?

Waiting on your response. Cheers.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi DavidC1,

Thank you for your openness in sharing here. It’s a really good place to have come to hear from others who understand what you’re going through. We can hear how difficult the past nine months have been, we’re so sorry that’s been going on.

It sounds like you’ve taken some really good steps in talking to a friend about this, and we agree it sounds like a good idea to talk to the GP. There’s some advice on the Beyond Blue website to help you prepare for this, and have a really productive convers... As you might have heard, it’s not possible to request or receive medical advice here on the forums, however it might be a really good chance to hear from others on their own experiences with anxiety, and with the treatment that’s been recommended to you.

Many members or our community will be able to relate to a lot of what you’ve been going through and be able to share some of the wisdoms that have helped them. We’re sure they’ll spot your thread here soon enough, and share here with you. In the meantime, here’s some pages from around the Beyond Blue site that you might like to look at: If at any point you want to talk through what you’re feeling, we’d highly recommend calling the Beyond Blue Support Line on 1300 22 4636. The counsellors there are super kind and supportive, they’re understanding and can be good to talk to right in the midst of the anxiety symptoms. You can also reach them via Online Chat here (11am-midnight AEDT).

Thanks again for sharing. We’re here to listen and offer support, and you never know how your story might help someone else.

Kind regards,

Sophie M

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi David C1,

Im sorry to hear how you have been feeling I understand anxiety can be difficult to deal with.

I had severe anxiety OCD having this condition was a real mental health journey, I have now recovered thanks to the help I received from health professionals.

My recovery started from seeing a gp my gp put me on a antidepressant to help me to manage my anxiety I also did a mental health plan with my gp.

This enabled me to see a clinical psychologist who gave me many strategies for anxiety I also saw a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with OCD and I did a 8 week group therapy for OCD, this is we’re I learned to master my OCD.

Im now recovered and my severe anxiety is gone I’m so grateful to be on other side of it.

I was offered benzodiazepines when I was in the height of my anxiety but I declined them because I knew they were addictive and I didn’t want to go down this road.

I recommend you speak to your gp and do a mental health plan together so you can see a psychologist and maybe talk with your gp about non addictive medication for anxiety if this is the way you want to go.

There wasn’t a quick fix for my anxiety disorder but im very grateful that I chose to go the long way around this way I am truly recovered and I have gained a lot of self growth through my journey.