FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety symptoms.

Trish_M
Community Member

I've suffered various episodes of depression over a long period of time, each time dealt with by antidepressants. I am 61 years old.

I saw a psychiatrist for the first time about 8 months ago and he says I have probably always suffered anxiety. Certainly I didn't grow up in a supportive family and always felt on my own. I am a competent, hard working person though and have managed to function and achieve. I have been described as looking like a duck.....appearing to look ok whilst underneath the water there is plentyof peddling going on to remain afloat. Over time, and I'm talking decades because it became more entrenched, to avoid the intense physical symptom of anxiety, I have withdrawn, avoided and fled from people and situations.

Medication has been adjusted and CBT started. I am now with guidance, slowly facing, dealing with, confronting the people and situations I need to have a fully functioning life. I have placed myself in harms way so to speak which initially has resulted in an escalation of physical symptoms like racing heart rate, shaking, tightness in chest. Where I used to flee, I now face what I once avoided and risk people noticing my symptoms or reacting negatively to my point of view.

I guess I've faced quite a few really challenging situations in the last 4 months or so. Is it normal to feel terribly exhausted after each of these encounters?

Also, is it likely that dealing with extreme anxiety by facing instead of running from fears has a physical toll on the body making it susceptible to infection or viruses?

I've noticed too, that because I am making a concerted effort to face life instead of fleeing, my physical anxiety symptoms seem exaggerated or intensified. Will these reduce over time? It's so hard to live with the shaking, pounding heart, chest pain, etc

Any help or thoughts appreciated.

Trish M.

1 Reply 1

BballJ
Community Member

Hi Trish M,

Wow, you have been through quite a lot and I like you reference to being a like a duck, that made so much sense.

I suffered from anxiety for 10 or so years and have had the symptoms you describe, one thing people I have found with anxiety do is try to avoid problems or issues that give them anxiety where you choose to face them, which I like to think is healthier but I can see how it would takes it's toll on your body. I do know dealing with constant anxiety can make you feel so exhausted which I guess in turn lowers your immune system defence so I guess that could contribute, I am not a doctor by any means so all just guessing. CBT really helped me and I know it's helped many people, may I ask how far into the CBT you are? It does take some time to work.

I have found anxiety reduces over time but with some hard work on your end which you are doing I am thinking you will get there sooner rather than later.

My best for you,

Jay