FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety over upcoming surgery

Blueberriesareyum
Community Member

Hi, I have the worst anxiety over upcoming surgery on Friday. It’s to remove collapsed bones from my right dominant wrist (proximal row carpectomy). I’m terrified of the recovery, I’ll be in a cast for 6 weeks and a splint for 4 weeks, I’ll also need physio. I’m so anxious, I’ve been awake since 2am. I guess I’m scared of the unknown, I have a phone consult with the surgeon on Wednesday, I told the office I had major anxiety about the surgery so they booked a phone consult in

5 Replies 5

Jo_____anne
Community Member

Gosh you have a lot going on and it is difficult to be in your place. Ask lots of questions and take another person along when meeting your surgeon. Make a list of questions. Good to know you have a plan and focus on having an optimal outcome.

Thank you for your words! 

sunnyl20
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am really sorry to hear that you have been experiencing so much anxiety in the lead up to your procedure. Fear of the unknown can be such an overwhelming one and can really eat away at you. You are definitely not alone in experiencing anxiety pre-operatively, the idea of anaesthetics and surgery can be distressing for so many people for all different reasons.

I think it is so important that you have been able to let your surgical team know that this is how you are feeling, as they can keep this in mind and better support you throughout the process. Is there anyone that you are close to who will be there before or after your surgery who you can talk to? It can often ease the distress even just a little bit to be able to externalise the thoughts and feelings that you're having and have that support from someone you know and trust. In any case, you will not be alone in your recovery - there will be doctors, nurses, physios, and others there to support and care for you. Let them know what is going on for you and, as mentioned by Jo, ask whatever you need to. 

Please do not hesitate to use these forums as and when you wish. We are always here to listen. 

Take care. 

Thank you Sunny! I ended up speaking to the surgeon, he said if I don’t have this done my wrist will continue to get progressively worked and I won’t be able to have the surgery in getting now, I’ll have to have a wrist fusion which isn’t a great operation and he tries to avoid it at all costs. He said I’ll be able to use my hand after 3 months and I might not need physio after, he made it out like the surgery isn’t as big a deal as I’ve made it out to be. He said if I keep delaying the surgery I’m just delaying the anxiety and this anxiety will keep coming back every time I try and have the surgery. He told me to go to the gp and get some calming meds as I’m too anxious to perform surgery on at the moment 

Maddyxoxo
Community Member

I wish everything goes well for your surgery and a speedy recovery 😊