FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety Attacks - Appetite related?

Courtz_45
Community Member

Hi,

For the past few weeks I've experienced out of blue anxiety attacks but the last I'd say 3-4 days they have gotten worse, and longer. I find that it takes me quite sometime to calm down. I get a racing heart, cold and clammy hands and feet, and my chest becomes tight and painful. I started medication yesterday so I know that won't kick in for another week or two, and I'm waiting for the psychologist clinic to call me with an appointment.

I try really hard to remain stress free about everything, but weirdly past few days attacks come on lightly then go, however few hours later I have a massive one. I'm honestly thinking it's food related with me not really eating anything due to not being hungry. But I can drink litres of water just fine.

Would love some advice, tips about anxiety or even how to increase my appetite. Or even to just be reassured I'm not the only one as times like these we think it's just ourselves going through it.

Also I've had numerous tests, ecgs, heart monitor worn to confirm my hearts healthy.

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

Armadillo
Community Member
I hope this feeling passes soon. I suspect it's not food related, it could be a response to your meds or a psychological response. I think when I've been unwell I have looked for external factors too, as a way of trying to control feelings. Stay with your medication and see whether things improve

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Courtz_45,

Thanks for your post.

It's not uncommon for anxiety to cause low appetite so rest assured you're not alone! When we have anxiety attacks it affects so much of our body and our systems including digestion. Some may find that they get hungrier, others may not notice where as others may just lose their appetite.

A couple of things that might help with your appetite-

- Try to encourage yourself to eat regularly even if it's just a small amount, like some yoghurt or crackers. You may even want to set an alarm.

- If you're able to drink water fine you may want to consider things like juices or smoothies. These can pack a punch with nutrition so if you're missing out on food it can be a great supplement.

- Consider having a chat with your GP about maybe taking a multivitamin. There are also things you can buy from the chemist like Sustagen especially if you're losing weight.

- Remind yourself that it's not harmful. It's very easy with anxiety to get health anxiety as well and think that there's something wrong; but this is normal.

What sorts of things are you trying with your anxiety? I think the key with anxiety attacks is to try and accept them for what they are and manage our breathing and try to get it as slow and steady as possible.