FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety and worry

BballJ
Community Member

Hi all,

Been a long time since I have posted on here - over 2 years to be exact. Hope everyone is well as we know how much the world has changed in 2 years. I wanted to log back in and ask a question regarding anxiety and symptoms.

Specifically this - do you find if you are worried about something health related, your anxiety almost makes your symptoms worse, as if they are always there niggling you cause your mind is always focused on it. You work or talk to friends or do something that may distract you but in the back of your mind the symptoms you are worried about are nagging at you? Just curious if anxiety can make symptoms worse.

Hope everyone is doing well.

My best,

Jay

3 Replies 3

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi,

Welcome back to the forums!

I am not a therapist but I do know that any mental health problems can cause symptoms to be worse. It's called the biopsychosocial model. You can look into it.

How are you feeling at the moment? Hope you are okay.

Also, seeing a psychologist can help you through what you are going through.

Please stay safe and i am here to chat if you need me.

Hi Jay, welcome back.

Let's not underestimate mind control. Many people worry too much and allow topics to simmer underneath as you eluded to. This brooding is not a problem for others. I often hear of comments like "I don't worry about that" or "I'll put that aside for another time"

If we don't have that capability of sufficient mind control then we can learn the theory and train our mind to accept the changes.

So, if you read the basics in the following threads that is the first step.

Google

Beyondblue topic worry worry worry

Beyondblue topic anxiety, how I eliminated it

Cheers

TonyWK

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi BballJ,

Wellcome back.

In my experience yes..

I was diagnosed as severe anxiety OCD, I would focus on something I would think was wrong with me and constantly obsess over it even when I tried to distract myself with friends ect the anxiety was still there… the symptoms nagging were my worry.

Ive now recovered

I hope you are ok.