FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety and employment.

Beaser
Community Member

Hi and best wishes to everyone.

I was wondering how people cope at times with the thought of changing employment. I been in one job for the past 12and a half years in that time i have had mental health issues and they have been more than supportive and understanding especially with my needing time off. I m just feeling that i need a fresh start and have had a interview recently. The reason being i feel that my work is also affecting my mental health with having to put up with unhappy and disenchanted colleagues,basically workplace politics. Im really scared do i need to make a change or put up with the downside of my job. It has got to the stage where i wake at night and stress about going to work because of the politics and constant negativaty. The idea of starting a new job also scares me. Im just not sure of what to do. Brett

33 Replies 33

LadyPenny
Community Member

Well done on taking the decision to resign, Brett, when your job was making you so unhappy and anxious. What a tough decision to make, and you did it. That’s an amazing step forward!

You doing such a difficult thing reminded me of Glennon Doyle’s podcast We Can Do Hard Things. I find it so affirming and uplifting.

best wishes.

Beaser
Community Member

Thank You Lady Penny.

Yeh it was a tough one. My boss was very understanding and said she could see i wasnt happy and i was struggling with the job.. Ive been there 13 years full time and about 15 all up and have given it a good go. Iit is a bit scary if im honest and i have a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions. I have a very small mortgage and am about two years ahead so i have a bit of a buffer there. I also have about 3 months long service owing to me. I was in a very bad way with work and it was destroying my enjoyment of life and my relationship with my girlfriend. Laying awake in the early hours feeling despair about it at times was common.I dont think any job is worth that. Im hoping that this is one of those tough decisions that i look back on and feel so happy that i made.

Thank you again and i hope you have a great day. Happy to talk more Brett

I

Beaser
Community Member

Hi hope everyone is well.

Its my first day back at work after giving notice that i will finish in two weeks after resigning.

Im very nervous and have a bit of a rollercoaster of emptions about everything. I really am scared about whats ahead . I had to walk from there as i couldnt handle it any longer . Ive had no negativety from people about leaving and everyone has said that no job is worth losing my mental health over.

Wishing everyone a HAPPY DAY. Brett.

Beaser
Community Member
Im going through a period of self doubt now. As soon as anyone questions my decision to leave my job i feel very nervous and scared. It wasnt something i decided overnight . Its been so such a tough decision. Im sure some people here can understand and have been through similar things. I jus want to be happy again. Thank you for reading , Brett.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Beaser,

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

It’s your life and what you think is best for you is your decision and not anyone else’s.

Have faith in yourself.

Beaser
Community Member
Thank you Petal. Always good to hear from you and others.... Hoping your well . Brett.

Beaser
Community Member

Im feeling very anxious if im honest about my decision to resign. I have agonised over my decision for long time and have layed awake so many nights dreading going to work. So it wasnt a rushed decision.

Its just when i speak to people about it if any body says anything negative it sends me spiralling again. If im honest i feel very fragile about things. I just want to be happy again. I dont know at times how to handle everything. Thank You for reading. My best wishes to everyone.. Brett

Beaser
Community Member
I took a positive step today and got some resumes printed up. I handed one in to a local hardware store. Ive neer done customer service . Im reasonably handy with things so hopefully i could handle it.. Worth a try. Brett.

LadyPenny
Community Member
Brett, that’s a fantastic step to take - good on you. I hear your anxiety about resigning - I’m sorry it’s so hard. I’m going through a similar thing right now, leaving my job of 15 years. I too feel scared and consumed by anxiety at different times. But I also know I’ve made the best decision for me right now with the information I had available. I’m trying to tell myself if it doesn’t work out there will be other opportunities that come up. Please know you are not alone in how you’re feeling - and I hope you can feel sone peace about your decision.

Beaser
Community Member
Thanks Lady Penny. Yeh it has been tough . I have moments where I think I could have stuck it out for another 6 months. I guess j would just be in the same situation then. If I do something now at least I’ve started the process I need to go through. Wishing you a Happy Day. Happy to talk more. Brett