FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety and Covid 19

Sarahbelle
Community Member

Hi.

I am extremely anxious about the current covid pandemic.

Feel as though it is living in my brain but my body feels the symptoms.

It causes me such panic and terror and all consuming

Trying to challenge my thinking but ver hard.

Any one else feel this. Any advice appreciated.

Thankyou.

278 Replies 278

uncut_gems
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Sarahbelle,

I know exactly what you mean. It's hard and scary to keep up with as there are lots of reports of terrible things happening and some mixed signals from officials and scientists about what to expect or what the best thing to do is. You're definitely not alone.

The good news is, it seems like we acted quickly enough that the virus is not out of control here in Australia and this has bought us time to ramp up our already very good healthcare system. Can I ask what symptoms you are feeling? I know how hard it can be to challenge anxious thinking, especially health anxiety amid all this.

Unfortunately there is no easy cure for this (just like there isn't one for the virus yet), but it may help to try to limit your intake of news, go for a walk taking responsible social distancing measures, or get lost in a good book or movie. What do you like to do? Now is a great time to get into a new hobby or pick up something you've always wanted to.

Always happy to chat and keep you company during this tough time. But I have no doubt we'll get through it 🙂

Best,

Gems

Soberlicious96
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Sarahbelle,

Welcome to Beyond Blue and well done for reaching out.

I would like to recommend, if you haven't already, to talk to your doctor. If you are having symptoms of COVID-19 then you can get tested to see if you have it or not. It's better to be armed with the facts, rather than worrying about 'what if'.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the number of people who are infected, percentage wise, is actually only about 0.02% of the population. And I have just now heard our PM say that two thirds of those who have had it, have already recovered. for most, it's a mild illness and recovery is good.

But yeah, I hear you. It's hard sometimes not be worried about it. Especially if you are not armed with the facts.

I'd like to suggest that you LIMIT the amount of news you watch to no more than 30 minutes a day, at most. Make sure you are getting some regular exercise, assuming you are well enough to do that. Make sure you are keeping in contact with your friends and family via the phone, and video calls. Sending the odd text message is not really enough. People need to hear each other's voices, and to see each others faces, so if you haven't been doing that, I suggest you call someone just to have a chat and catch up with their voice and face, to do that. And also, if you have any kind of a hobby, get into that too!

And the next time your head wants to terrorise you with awful thoughts, tell it "thanks for sharing, but you've had your turn. Now it's MY TURN to be well, and look after myself."

There's also a website called Mood Gym - https://moodgym.com.au/home - which you may find helpful too. "Moodgym is like an interactive self-help book which helps you to learn and practise skills which
can help to prevent and manage symptoms of depression and anxiety
."

In the meantime, you are welcome here anytime, as much as you like. We are all in this together, and I for one am happy to help out in any way I can. Most important thing to remember is that THIS TOO SHALL PASS. We won't be socially isolating forever. This WILL pass.

Take care. I'll be thinking of you. xo

Sophie_M
Hi Sarahbelle,

Thank you so much for joining our valued online forums community and reaching out. It's very brave and important you have done so today. You've come to the right place: this is a safe, non-judgmental space where you can give and receive support from others who have or are experiencing something similar.

Beyond Blue has another place you might find helpful at https://coronavirus.beyondblue.org.au/. Our Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service is packed full of tips and information to help you get through this time.

Please know we're here to give you as much support, advice and conversation as you need. Feel free to check in and let us know how you're getting on whenever you are up to it.

Thank you so much.

I had a bit better of a day. Was good just to write it down but did not expect so much care.

Deep down I know the likely hood of me having the virus is minute but my head and body are working overtime.

Your advice is sound and helpful. Nights are the hardest for me.

I am trying meditation.

Please take care of yourself too

Sarah Belle

Thanks Gems.

Yes we will get through this.

My syptoms change....they can last a day 2 or 3 or a few hours.

Like a fight between my body and mind and at the same time going into sympathy with one another.

Will have to organise my routine and workinng at home to give me better structure.

Hoping for a goid nuggts sleep.

Thankyou again for your gentle care.

Take goodcare of yourself too.

Sarah Belle

Hi Sarahbelle,

You're definitely not alone! We're here for you on the forums 🙂

Please keep us updated on how you go with meditation! I have recently started for my anxiety as well and I find it very useful. It is a skill that takes a lot of practice. I'm looking forward to when my anxiety doesn't take over and I am able to react differently to stressful situations.

It sounds like you have a lot of insight and that you are motivated to try a lot of things which is great! Keep it up 🙂

Hi Sarah,

it sounds like you are just on hyper-high alert now and are extra sensitive to the changes in your body, which is totally understandable given this situation! I think you can trust yourself to know what feels "normal weird" and what is actually concerning or uncomfortable enough to need medical attention. I've also been wondering if every change I'm feeling is a symptom or not. It's likely that lots of people are going through this right now, and most will probably never know what it was because we will get better and move on.

I also struggle with the nighttime, as I find laying in bed gives me time to be alone with my thoughts which start to race. Is this the case for you? If so, I find that reading or listening to an audiobook or podcast until I fall asleep makes things a million times easier. It's very silly but I learned about one podcast called Sleep With Me where a guy with a very dull voice reads you a story that is stimulating enough to pay attention to but boring enough to zone out and fall asleep. I use it sometimes when I'm really having a tough time.

Hope to hear from you and see you around the forums!

Warmly,

Gems

Sarahbelle
Community Member

Thanks Gems,

HaHa the boring voice one sounds good. Will have to give it a try!

Meditation is helpful sometimes but others just when I feel myself going into it I all of a sudden "wake up".

One of the things helping me the most at the moment is the forum because it helps me to understand the stress we are all under and that we really can be supportive of one another in a very real way and truly are not alone.

Working at home is keeping me busy and connected so that is also a good thing...no anxiety about having to go to work each day at this time.

Yesterday was a good day for me...today a bit shaky , comes in waves.

I am really working on being questioning myself when thoughts come into my head of the probability and facts.

We all just have to keep on trying to fill our own and others buckets.

Hope you are having a good day.

Sarah Belle

I've got this app called White Noise on my smartphone which plays all kinds of nature noises (rain, wind, waves, etc.) plus you can download others. See if that helps for relaxing your mind.