FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

alcohol and anxiety

meka
Community Member
Hi I am struggling with alcohol and anxiety I have got to the point whereby even a small amount of alcohol makes me feel terrible the next day and I wake in the early hours with overwhelming feelings of anxiety, heart pounding, panic and out of control negative thoughts which last well into the morning. Is the only answer to give up drinking all together? Is it because I am also menopausal? Do other people experience this? 
5 Replies 5

PatT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Meka, I can't say whether it's associated with menopause (24yr old male) but I can relate to the combination of alcohol and anxiety. Alcohol is a depressant in small amounts but that amount varies greatly for many people and once you cross that threshold it has the complete opposite effect. I'd recommend giving it up for a while, at least until the majority of your menopausal symptoms subside. I know it's difficult at times (I've had drug/alcohol problems) and it can feel awkward in social settings but it doesn't sound like you're enjoying it anyway. When I go out now I just stick to water and soft drinks and if anybody questions why i'm not drinking I just tell them I don't feel like it. Hope this helps,

Pat.

meka
Community Member
Thanks for your reply . Yep am thinking  it's my only option.. feels better knowing that I I'm not on my own.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Mega, thanks for posting this comment because it's a very interesting comment, because I used alcohol myself, as I've mentioned many times before, but understand that you could have missed them, no worries.

Please if I say something it's definitely not to upset you, so please bare with me.

If anyone has been a constant drinker of alcohol, and then are trying to cut down by drinking smaller amounts, and only on occasional days, then your body is going to react to this and then suffer from what you have said.

The same applies to someone if they are trying to stop, their body will need to adjust and that's not easy at all to try and cope with.

I don't know what happens when going through menopause, but it's very difficult for anyone who has drunk their entire life, to only be able to drink on a social level.

W e know that alcohol is not good for us, our doctors tell us, our family tell us and it's well known in society, however some people may need it to be able to cope, or what ever reason they believe they need it, I am not judgemental on this but I appreciate what other people have to say.

If you feel as though your anxiety is getting under control, then it's a choice whether or not you want to stop drinking, but that something you to have decide on.

From your comment it seems to me that you have tried to cut down and this is how your body is trying to adjust, and please don't be upset by what I have said.

Many people over my life especially when in depression criticised me in every way they could, and even now I'm still called an alcoholic, even though I only drink socially, but I can't stop them from saying it, so now it doesn't bother me, because I know that I'm certainly not.

Hope to hear back from you. Geoff. x

meka
Community Member
Hey thanks for your reply Geoff yes you are right I suppose I have over the years been a drinker and now am having to address it as my body is saying no.! I don't think I am able just to drink socially if I'm honest. I think I'm going to try and stop all together as I don't see that I have any other choice as I can't cope with the anxiety and panic I feel afterwards. Do you know if people have had any success with hypnosis as that is what I used to give up smoking? 

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Meka, thanks for replying back.

For hypnosis I haven't known of anyone who has had success, nor for the people who smoke, psychologically it may stop them for awhile, but long term haven't heard of anyone who claims it to be a success, I maybe sceptical here, but when you see the ads for curing someone of smoking they don't say anything about alcohol.

It has to come from the person to decide that they definitely want to stop, they have to decide in their mind that that's what they what.

It's not easy, but your doctor maybe able to help you here, because there is medication that stops the urge to want to drink, it takes away all those desires, and even if you have a drink you won't get any kick out of it, but again there is no point if you haven't made up your mind, it won't work.

I have taken it and yes it does work, but I also could stop when I needed to, in other words abstain, but for many people they can't do this and then need help.

The waiting list is long if you want to go into rehab, unless you have private health insurance, but I'm at two minds about going into rehab, because as soon as you are free, it doesn't promise that once you meet up with all your friends they don't nag you and say 'just have one drink it won't hurt you', and if you do, then your back to square one.

It looks like you want to stop so that's good for you, then the medication from your doctors will also help you along.

I would love to hear back from you. Geoff. x