FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

School stress

chpouy
Community Member

Hi I am a year 10 student currently attending high school, recently i’ve been feeling extremely overwhelmed with the amount of work that i have to do. ATAR has been introduced to year 10s meaning I have to study hard for the subjects I want that will contribute to my ATAR score in the future. I feel like I’m very far behind and I don’t know what to do. I’ve asked for help numerous of times but I’m left unmotivated. Taking days off just for my mental health feels like a big risk of missing out on important information for my subjects. This has been continually building up as I keep on struggling with studying all my subjects at once. I’ve been crying each night about this to the point where I have thoughts of self harming to punish myself. I’m only 15, thinking about what my future holds for me and the expectations from school and my mum have me so under pressure about it. I just wish that my mum didn’t have to push me so hard, I know she means good intentions but she really doesn’t show it well. What I mean by that is that she thinks that I can do this without any mental health consequences being pressured on me. I’ve been working my absolute ass off just to please her expectations of school but it’s almost never good for her. I’m lacking that emotional support from her and it’s affecting me so much, I dread talking about anything to her. This stress that I feel has been draining me a lot, I struggle with getting up in the morning. I hate this feeling, the only days I feel remotely relaxed is on the weekend, but after that I know that I have to go to school the next day. This feels like a big loop I can’t overcome. School makes me stressed, stress makes me drained, being drained makes me not want to go school and not going school makes school stressing again. A big loop that makes me feel helpless and completely vulnerable. I wish my mum didn’t belittle my emotions about this. I know that it’s just high school and all and there’s bigger things to stress about, but right now school needs to be my 1st priority. 

5 Replies 5

Sophie_M
Dear chpouy,

Thank you for posting tonight and welcome to our online forum as well. We're so glad you've found your way here.

It sounds as though you're really struggling to cope with all the pressure, and we're worried about your wellbeing chpouy, so we've reached out to you privately. Please check your inbox.

Talking about what is going on for us with others is a really good thing to do when we're feeling overwhelmed and stressed. And we hear that you've reached out to your mum but she doesn't seem to get it (or perhaps she does, but doesn't really know how to respond)? That's not uncommon. Either way, it's really important that you talk to people who do know how to respond and to help you through this, so we're super glad that you're sharing here and that you'll get a chance to get some support and various ideas from our wonderful online community here in time.

We'd like to know if you've ever spoken about how you're feeling to anyone at school? The wellbeing team, school counsellor, head teacher, or even a favourite teacher? When you mention feelings of wanting to self harm, that's when we know you really need to talk with someone and get some care - keeping it to yourself could be detrimental, and it's really not worth it. So many people do care, and can help you, so please do reach out.

Apart from that, please consider giving us a call (1300 22 4636) or head over to our webchat. Our friends at kidshelpline are pretty awesome too, and they have phone and webchat options available as well. Headspace is another great option for you to consider as well.

We hope to hear from you soon, please take care and keep us posted as to how you're going..

Kind regards,

Sophie M

chpouy
Community Member

Hi Sophie

I’ll take a look into my inbox as soon as possible, but yes I have reached out and told some of my teachers. However I kept it very brief. There is a youth worker at my school who I adore very much and I often speak to her about the stress i’m feeling with my assignments, they’re very understanding towards me. I’ve also opened up a little bit about it to my care teacher(form teacher) but I don’t do it often because I feel anxious that she’s going to tell my mum. The youth worker is very understanding but I tend to have a history of not opening up so I tend to not reach out to her as often. I’m aware that it would help me so much more if I spoke about my feelings but emotions is a thing I continue to struggle with and control. I am super grateful for my friends because they have been helping me each step of the way to show that it’s completely okay being vulnerable. 

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello chpouy,

I'm sorry you've been so stressed and overwhelmed with school. High school can be a daunting time in one's life, as you feel like everything you do is setting you up for your future. It's great that you are working hard, but remember that your ATAR won't be the be-all-end-all, there are many pathways to get into university such as mature age entry (which is only 21 years old) or internally transferring into the degree you want after getting into any degree at uni. 

If you need to take a day off here or there for you wellbeing, please do take them. I'm sure if you speak with your teachers, they will be understanding and help you catch up on anything you miss. Try to set boundaries such as "I'll only study until 9pm, then go to bed early" or "no studying on Saturdays" and make time for self-care, for example reserving time each day to watch your favourite TV show or go for a walk. Looking after you wellbeing is just as important to help you succeed and avoid burnout. 

Remember that you're always doing your best and your best is more than good enough. 

Beeee

sickfork
Community Member

hey there, fellow year 10(now year 11) here! just wondering how you're going with atar right now? it's definitely a big work load 💔

Doodledan
Community Member
I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling this way. It's important to recognize that you're not alone, and reaching out for help is a brave step. High school can indeed be overwhelming, especially with the added pressure of ATAR. Remember, your well-being matters, and it's okay to prioritize your mental health. It might be helpful to have an open conversation with your mum about how you're feeling, expressing that while you appreciate her intentions, you need emotional support too. Additionally, consider talking to a school counselor or a mental health professional who can provide guidance. Your future is important, but so is your present well-being. Take care of yourself, and remember, there are people who care about you and want to help. If you're struggling with your workload, maybe consider seeking assistance to alleviate some of the academic pressure.