FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My parents don't believe in anxiety

TheBigSpecialPig
Community Member

Hi

I'm 13 and i have been visiting a counsellor recently after a few years for GAD but my parents in a way have been dragging me down in a sense that if I get anxious about something or have a panic attack they will say that I'm "having a tantrum" and "attention seeking" even after my school had a meeting with them and my counsellor has been email them

please

WHAT DO I DO

2 Replies 2

MsPurple
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi thebigspecialpig and welcome to the bb forums

you sound like you are in a tough situation. It can be frustrating to not have your parents understanding and support. What I found helpful was to show my parents information on anxiety through YouTube. Some good videos to look up are by beyond blue, WHO and shed online.

You say you are 13. Have you heard of a service called Headspace. It is a youth mental health service for individuals age 12-25. It is a no/low cost service. I found it really helpful when I went. They have counsellors, GP, psychologists and some support groups. I would google them and look up to see if there is one near you. If that is not an option I would see if there is a counselor that has experience with youth anxiety.

Zeal
Community Member

Hey,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm glad MsPurple has already posted a helpful message. I would just like to add that Beyondblue have some web pages for family members/carers to read. Here's the link: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/supporting-someone/supporting-someone-with-depression-or-anxiety This link is also worth your parents checking out: https://healthyfamilies.beyondblue.org.au/age-13 This may not 'convince' them, as it seems they are quite resistant to accepting mental health conditions as actual illnesses. Hopefully this will improve over time.

I think it's so proactive that your school organised a meeting, and that they are aware of what you are going through. Seeking school support and counselling is great - you are doing the right things to help yourself 🙂

Best wishes,

Zeal