FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Lost my ability to be creative?

Loligiggles
Community Member

So, I've lost the ability to be creative, like in the way I used to when I was a teenager and now, at 23, seemingly lost all of my creativity.

Is this just me, or have others experienced this?

8 Replies 8

jtjt_4862
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Loligiggles,

When you say "lost the ability to be creative", do you mean, drawing from whatever comes to mind?

I've recently just lost mine as well, and had to cancel some art request because I couldn't complete it no matter how much I forced myself to. I figured this might be related to self-confidence, because when I was young, I didn't think much about what I was drawing, and was able to come up with a lot of crazy creative ideas. But these days, I found myself fixated to a certain theme, questioning my ability to draw and deliver something I deem as worthy, and now completely burnt out by it.

I've decided to go semi-hiatus with my drawing services, and try to go back to my roots. I got a sketch book out and told myself that this sketch book is only for my eyes, and no one else must see it. From there, I began playing around with lines/shapes/shading, trying out different angles. Sometimes I watch Youtube videos of people exploring cities, and try drawing buildings/objects in simple shapes. Trying to get that feel of what it's like to draw and explore techniques. I'm still recovering from this burn out, but I could feel something about drawing once more, just a tiny feeling. I hope to keep doing this until I could feel that spark of passion once more.

Jt

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Loligiggles

First, I wish to express how much I feel for you regarding your sense of having lost your creative ability. Second, I wish to thank you for triggering a sense of wonder when it comes to the topic of creativity.

I find the topic of 'imagination', to be more specific, truly fascinating. Once deemed 'the realm of children', imagination is a fundamental part of life for every person, no matter their age. I believe our imagination doesn't entirely leave us, I've found what it tends to do at times is show up in some other area in our life and fully manifest itself in that area. I found this to be the case when I was nearing 20 (a long time ago). Up until then, I largely ignored imagining what I needed to do to get great grades at school, instead I was invested in painting, drawing, writing and daydreaming. My first full time job was depressing. At the end of every day, I'd imagine the next depressing day, which would lead me to tears. I couldn't imagine anything else. Over the years, I imagined never being able to find my true sense of self. I imagined no one would be able to lead me out of what I gradually grew to discover was a deepening depression, which stemmed from a number of factors. Long story short, my imagination was so invested elsewhere to the point where it had no time for painting, drawing, writing or daydreaming (in a relaxed and inspiring manner). When my depression ended about 15 years later, it all came back.

Jt touched on another possible reason for the lack of inspiration. Is it time to begin creating outside the square? Is this a part of your natural progression? Is your imagination craving a new diet? With positive creativity being food for the soul, is your soul kind of saying 'Things are tasting a little bland these days'? Opening the mind a little more is like being presented with a buffet or feast. Abstract painting or drawing, sculpting, wood carving, home decorating, screen printing...there's a feast of things to explore, to taste.

So, just a couple of possibilities as to what can lead to a lack of artistic creativity. Whether it's a matter of our imagination having a full time job, invested in other things that life throws at us or it needs a new kind of kindling added to the flame, it pays to question.

From my experience, once you've got it you never lose it. It just appears this way at times.

🙂

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

loligiggles

I like your name.

Jt and the riding have replied with thoughtful answers.

I suppose for me it is what you mean by creative. Do you mean in one are like art, or writing you don’t feel creative or do you feel you lack imagination or motivation to try different creative pursuits.?

I am much older than you I have find when I am stressed I am not as creative.
I like writing but I can go months when I can think of a different idea.
I find bring with young children who can seem to effortlessly create a magical world out of boxes and scarves, helps me to rediscover that inner uninhibited child.

Thanks for this thread. If you want to I am interested in what your thoughts are.

3rd like from end of my post should read I find being with young children …

I wish making typos was a sign of creativity.!

Hi Jt!

Man, I'm sorry that you're having to go through this. It's incredibly distressing when it happens, but I'm sure the buyers would've understand, if not, they can go frick themselves.

I believe that's a part of my issue, I was able to think of one thing, and then come up with either one scenario, then have that played out in my mind until it ran its course and move onto the next one, or move backwards to play new scenes or play multiple scenarios at once to figure out the best one, going back and forth as I pleased. In conjunction, I was previously able to ask questions, ask why, see patterns, think of new tings to combine together, etc and they were normally very novel and fun imo (albeit my knowledge was limited in retrospect)

Now, my mind draws either a blank or only think of things that I've already seen or read.

(Maybe trigger warning below, mentions of toxic family, abuse, grief, etc)

It being related to self confidence would make sense, since I escaped a toxic household, suffered abuse, lost 75% of my family, lost a friend and had a major depressive episode. Ever since the incident with my friend, alongside loosing my ability to think, talk, write and draw properly (or more accurately, my abilities pre depressive episode) I've lost self esteem, self confidence and self worth to name a few things that've been affected.

That's a great idea, you never know what things you'll notice or think of when you're having fun, exploring new things! I have no doubt you'll feel that creativity in no time!

Oh, also, I've learnt that dopamine is what allows us to be creative! A very short while ago, I started taking anti psychotics for my severe anxiety and while I was able to resume a more functional life, my already severely impacted abilities like creativity became non existent, so now, while I'm functioning, my words, writing, even thoughts are just being recycled even more. Tbh, I would rather have such severe anxiety but be able to be creative and have all my other abilities return to normal than be functioning like this.

Hi therising!

Thank you so much for your reassurance! Your explanation makes a lot of sense and I thought it'd be like this forever, and it just seems like I have to bear through whatever this is (it appears I still haven't gotten over my depressive episode as of yet)

And that is also another reason for this, maybe my time of thinking of ships, cartoon men and collectible toys is over as I grow and develop into adult hood, I might have to look online for other things to explore.

Hi Loligiggles

Interesting about the dopamine and the meds, how they impact creativity. You triggered a sense of wonder in me again which led to Googling 'Creative expression tames anxiety'. The idea of creating in more specific ways to aid mental health is something I was never led to consider during my years in depression.

Also interesting regarding the link between emotional intelligence and creativity. Seeing the most satisfying creations are typically achieved through feeling your way through a piece of work, it makes sense. To be such a feeler in life has both its pros and cons. For an artist with mental health challenges, it's not hard to pick their 'dark' periods, so strongly reflected in their work. The thing is...people who can relate to the darkness can also relate to the artist. There's an emotional connection between the observer and the artist.

When you see a painter whose work suddenly changes, you can't help but wonder whether they are finding themself in some way or 'waking up' to find a new truth in their life. For example, in his/her mind is it a matter of 'I hate this world, with all its conformity. I hate the rules and the way individual self expression is suppressed. I hate how dark this world has become. I cannot tolerate it a second longer'? Suddenly, their work becomes more abstract and free flowing, with so many bright or vivid colours and they live through that form of self expression. To top it off, those who feel oppressed may really resonate with this artist's work.

I suppose, at the end of the day, art (painting, writing, drawing etc) is a channel of self expression. How we wish or need to express our self will change from time to time. Sometimes the channel has nothing but static, sometimes the channel is clear and sometimes it becomes a matter of learning to 'tune in' in a variety of ways, which is a whole new challenge in itself.

🙂

Hi Loligiggles,

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate them. My buyer was understandable of the situation, and was supportive of it as well. I'm really grateful for their understanding.

Dopamine relating to creativity sounds interesting. It sounds like, it makes us feel good, and I feel perhaps it relates to feeling good about ourselves which is a boost of self-esteem and confidence. I felt confidence to be a major factor to how we draw is because, when we draw something, we have this sense of "yes, I'm doing it right", and we're confident that we can fix things if they are wrong. When we draw with lack of confidence, we think "No, this is wrong" and you keep retrying until you get tired and feel defeated for not being able to achieve what you wanted, which further drags your confidence down.

I think it's good to have the inner child side within us. It helps keeps us curious and wanting to learn, as well as remaining creative so that we may express our feelings and emotions through creative means. Whether it's through writing on drawing, singing or dancing. To be able to express our feelings helps us to learn to accept ourselves as who we are.

If thinking of ships, cartoon men, and collectible toys brings you joy, then I feel you can continue letting them bring you joy and happiness. I once thought I was over with video games, and my time with video games is now over because I'm now an adult and can't find the time to play games anymore. But on one lockdown weekend, I got time all to myself, and decided to play a new game. I was hooked onto it, and it reminded me of why I like video games. I love the story that comes from a game, the character building, the achievements that you can get from clearing the game etc. It brought joy and happiness to me. But you're right that, there are other things to explore that may bring us happiness as well, there's no need to stick around on the usual forever.

Jt